Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Alpine Trails 2 Day Dualsport Ride

Are you inspired by my Bass Lake Photo's and DigDug's Utah photo's?

Are you up for riding in Jawbone Canyon/the Sequoia National Forest?

I may have a solution for you.....

I'm sending in the registration forms/check tonight so Jarrett and I can ride in the Alpine Trails 2 Day Dual Sport Ride on Sept 22nd/23rd. Supposedly there's a rider limit of 50 so get your entries in soon if you want to play (but don't send'em in for another day or two because I want to make sure me and Jarrett get in before you! <_<:) )

Alpine Trails Ride

Lodging options:

I guess you can snag a room anywhere in Mojave on Friday night or drive up at O'Dark Thirty Sat morning.....I haven't decided on an approach yet......rider check-in is 7-9am on Sat morning on Jawbone Canyon Rd. (see event flyer)

Sat night is spent in Wofford Heights, CA (Kernville). Supposedly the Barewood Inn is "the place" to stay......ask for $85.50 club rate (normally is $120). If this is full, then Lakeshore Inn is other place in town where I've heard people are staying but I've also heard it's much farther from the Elks Lodge and that's where the chase truck & dinner will be......so hunt around if you get shut out at the Barewood and stay as close to the Elks Lodge as you can. Both inns are owned & managed by the same staff - (760) 376-1910.

Kind of a pricey event at $90/rider but that includes T-Shirt, dinner, and bag transport to the Elk's club on Sat and back to Jawbone on Sunday.....I've never ridden in the area so I'm going for it..... want to ride there and add to my growing rollchart/GPS track collection for return trips.....

I have pictures of me on my Hodaka handle bar high in the snow from out of Jawbone. Really a superb ride. I have been eyeing this event and will try to get my entry in next week. Sounds like a real blast. If it is full, I guess I'll have to settle for the Rattle Snake Chase at Superstition the very same weekend.

Sandman

Lodging options:

I guess you can snag a room anywhere in Mojave on Friday night or drive up at O'Dark Thirty Sat morning.....I haven't decided on an approach yet......rider check-in is 7-9am on Sat morning on Jawbone Canyon Rd. (see event flyer)

Sat night is spent in Wofford Heights, CA (Kernville). Supposedly the Barewood Inn is "the place" to stay......ask for $85.50 club rate (normally is $120). If this is full, then Lakeshore Inn is other place in town where I've heard people are staying but I've also heard it's much farther from the Elks Lodge and that's where the chase truck & dinner will be......so hunt around if you get shut out at the Barewood and stay as close to the Elks Lodge as you can. Both inns are owned & managed by the same staff - (760) 376-1910.

Kind of a pricey event at $90/rider but that includes T-Shirt, dinner, and bag transport to the Elk's club on Sat and back to Jawbone on Sunday.....I've never ridden in the area so I'm going for it..... want to ride there and add to my growing rollchart/GPS track collection for return trips.....

I knew I was forgetting to share something.

The Barewood is closer, .3 miles. The Lakeshore is .9 miles away. I was up there last weekend and I made a GPS track so some other riders I know could find their way around once they got to the ELK’s. Both places from the outside very look good to stay at. The brewery in Kernville is 4.1 miles away.

The riding up there can be very nice. Lots of good, fun, but challenging single track. Plenty of very good dirt roads. Most in the forest. In the last couple of years I have done this ride the desert section is all fast dirt road. When you get to the trees is when you can decide what you want to do. We usually do some single track until my buddy gets tired and then bail on dirt road. Last year one of the sweeps showed us a short cut to dirt road.

This year is different in that it is a two day ride. It is also being held later in the year so it should be cooler. Not in the high 90’s.

My dad lives up at Lake Isabella so I have started spending a lot of time up there. I was working up there last week and was hoping to do some single track riding but the local guy I know is on the injured list. It helps to go with someone who knows the trails or have a route chart.

If this sounds like your kind of dual sport sign up soon. They usually have a rider limit.

Also if you do this ride then you should be a member of the Stewards of the Sequoias. It’s free to join. They are the organization that maintains the trails and fights to keep them open to multi use access.

http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/

If you want a copy of the motel GPS send me a PM.

Ralph