Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crusty

Can't wait to see Dungey KTM against Stewart Suzuki @Hangtown

Guest Crusty

from matthes:

he's so frustrated by not being able to win that he's just going to walk away. That, my friends, takes balls.

James Stewart's status as a member of the JGR Yamaha team remains a mystery, but his plans for the summer do not. For the first time since 2008, when he went 24-0 in outdoor motocross, Number Seven will line up as a full-time outdoor rider at the May 19 Hangtown Classic, which starts the 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship. We knew it might be coming, but we also knew not to hold our breath—James has played some games in the past, hinting this way, going that way. He's been trying to sort out where and what he's going to do moving forward with the JGR squad. It's gotten so "out there," and there is so much speculation, that the MotoConcepts team even had some graphics mocked up with Stewart's #7 on them and put them on a bike they had in the pits at Seattle.

That didn't go over well with the JGR guys, but the simple matter is that yes, James Stewart is probably leaving the JGR team. There is nothing done yet (I really thought it was coming Tuesday, but now I hear it won't be officially announced until after the Las Vegas SX), and in talking to Jeremy Albrecht (team manager) and Coy Gibbs (owner) of JGR, I get the sense that they've accepted this change of fate.

The union hasn't worked for either side. James was not getting the results he thought he was going to and JGR hasn't gotten the results they thought they were paying for. Stewart and the Yamaha YZ450F haven't gelled at all, and the real reasons James is struggling don't really matter—it's in his head, and that's what counts.

Before James can really start talking to anyone officially, he has to be released from his contract. That means lawyers for both sides agreeing to terminate the deal. I get the sense that although JGR could hold him to the deal and try to dig up something that says Stewart's been talking to other people to try and recoup some money, they won't do that. It's best to just acknowledge that this thing didn't work, wish each other well, and move on.

James Stewart has not meshed well with the Yamaha, and vice-versa.

Andrew Fredrickson photo

From there, Stewart's got to get on another team. And seeing how he came close to racing for Suzuki before signing with JGR, I'd bet heavy money he'll be on a Suzuki as soon as he's officially released. If we see this happen, I have to admire Stewart for giving up millions of dollars at JGR Yamaha to ride for a team I guarantee you isn't paying him anywhere near the same rate. He also could have hung out all summer, collected his cash, and not put the time and work in to race the nationals; he didn't have to race, per the terms of his JGR contract. Instead, he's so frustrated by not being able to win that he's just going to walk away. That, my friends, takes balls.

You could ask why he'd sign the JGR deal in the first place, and that would be a fair question. He thought it could work, and judging by all the trick stuff JGR's done to the bike since James has been there, everyone's been working hard to try to get the Yamaha working to Stewart's satisfaction. It just hasn't been enough. The JGR guys are good people. James is a good guy. Sometimes things just don't work out. As Davey Coombs once told me, all things end badly—that's why they end.

IMHO JS7 has all the speed in the world but has never had smart race craft. Balls to the wall or crash is fun to watch for the fans, but not good for him. I hope the guy can find a balance he is very far along in his moto career. (dont want to see him injured). Even Barcia has gotten a dose of race craft as he has matured into a front line guy.

PS Race craft not just on the bike riding but also in regards to set up and prep translations.

Best of show for James and the others

hope to keep as many strong runners in the game to keep the series good.

Guest Crusty

What is strange, is #18 Millsaps beat #5 Dungey on a JGR Yamaha, but Stewart didn't????

http://jgrmx.com/cgr...m?articleId=272

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (May 6, 2012) – Effective immediately, JGRMX (Joe Gibbs Racing - Motocross) and James Stewart Jr. have mutually agreed to release Stewart from his contract for all Racing and Media Relations responsibilities that were assumed by him at the beginning of the 2012 racing season. We wish to thank James for his contributions and wish him the very best for the future.

Guest Crusty

Was an awesome, Lites race last night, 2 Honda teamates, 1st. 2nd.

I will put my money on Tomac for the long run.

Just hope Honda, can afford to keep them both!!!!!

Crusty,

You Honda (450 class)fans can rejoice, with Barcia!!! Tomac!!! and hopefully healthy Canard and Reed. Wins are in the cards (SX for sure, MX too).

As for Stew/RMZ, Alessi's have shown that the RMZ is a capable machine (as well as Suzuki GP racer DeSalle). Stew on Suz may be his re-motivation balance (I hope for the sake of the sport). I am also bummed that 22 lost the injury prone BT101 for the "outdoor" starter. Townley is rocket fast but seems to get himself beat up too much. Anyway cant wait for Hang Town!!!

Guest Crusty

It's Official...

http://www.racerxonline.com/2012/05/07/its-official-stewart-to-yoshimura-suzuki

Yoshimura Suzuki Racing is proud to announce the signing of famed Supercross and Motocross Champion, James Stewart, to a multi-year contract effective immediately. Stewart will compete in both AMA Pro Motocross and Supercross aboard the Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 beginning with the first round of the 2012 AMA Pro Motocross Championship in Sacramento, CA on May 19th, 2012.

Stewart, often called the “fastest man on the planet”, comes to Yoshimura Suzuki with a long list of accomplishments. The 26-year old, native Floridian has amassed 6 AMA Championships, including two AMA Supercross titles and a perfect season, AMA Pro Motocross Championship. He also has a FIM World Supercross Championship as well as two Motocross des Nations titles to his credit.

“I’m really looking forward to joining the team,” said Stewart. ”It’s been a pleasure to get to test with these guys and meet the team. I’m very excited – I love the bike – Ever since I rode it from day one I knew it was a great opportunity for me to come out and showcase my talent. With Mike Webb as the team manager and Don (Sakakura), the President of Yoshimura Racing – It’s been great what they’ve been doing – The whole team is phenomenal. We’re all excited to get the ball rolling and see what we can do over the next few years. I just want to thank everyone at Yoshimura and American Suzuki for giving me this opportunity.”

“James is a great addition to our team,” said President of Yoshimura Racing, Don Sakakura. “He is an amazing rider and gifted athlete and we feel very fortunate to have him join Yoshimura Suzuki. We will do everything possible to help ensure his and the team’s success. Our company has been built on racing and winning championships and we intend to keep that tradition alive with James and his incredible skill on a motorcycle.”

Team Manager, Mike Webb, as well as long-time Team Suzuki mechanic, Lee McCollum, and the rest of the Yoshimura Suzuki squad, will support Stewart in his run for the 2012 AMA Motocross Championship and beyond.

“We’re extremely pleased with the announcement of James joining the Yoshimura Suzuki team,” added Team Manager, Mike Webb. ”We all look forward to working with James and a rider of his caliber. We feel very confident we can provide him with the equipment that he needs to ride to his capability. We’re working hard right now, though we don’t have a lot of time, but we’re very focused on getting ready for Hangtown and we’re definitely looking forward to the opener.”

Stewart will join Yoshimura Suzuki Racing teammate, Brett Metcalfe, at the first round of the 2102 AMA Pro Motocross Championship at Hangtown in Sacramento, CA on Saturday, May 19th.

s1600_2012_STEWART_01.jpg?1336403407