Supporting the off-road groups DOES help....please read below, this is huge having Chris Horgan working with legislators in Washington...SDAR supports Stewards, as well as other off-road groups.

Stewards of the Sequoia-Ambassador For Recreation

I wanted to let you know about some tremendous opportunities to Keep Trails open and Preserve Access to our Public Lands.

CONGRESSIONAL BRIEFING-

Stewards of the Sequoia have been asked to attend an invitation only Congressional Briefing in Washington DC. Our efforts are being noticed by policymakers and decision makers. We will have the opportunity to network and learn new ways to stop trail closures, as well as pass on some of the successful Stewards programs to help other grassroots groups be more effective.

MEETING WITH FOREST CHIEF-

Forest Chief Tidwell has agreed to meet with me while I am in DC to discuss what Stewards have found is working on the ground in Sequoia and what is not. Also to discuss why the Fixed Date Wet Weather Closures of thousands of miles of routes needs to be removed. Especially when it it 70 degrees, sunny and the ground is dry.

I had a very productive meeting with the Chief last summer. The Chief probably does not often hear from local Grass Roots groups like Stewards. We are able to provide him with information about how his decisions are effecting our local area, so he can make better decisions for our public lands far from DC.

MEETING WITH DEPARTMENT OF INTERIOR-

You may recall I was voted the Top Innovator in the President's Americas Great Outdoor (AGO) Initiative. The public voted for my ideas in droves about More Access for motorized and mountain bike, no more Wilderness, as well as many other Pro Access/Pro Multiple Use concepts. However the final AGO report ignored these top rated ideas. I will be voicing our concerns and urging them to embrace Multiple Use as a large portion of the public clearly wishes.

AMBASSADOR FOR RECREATION-

On my last trip I had the pleasure of meeting with numerous legislators and their staff. I was able to educate them about the need to keep public lands open to all. I plan on building on that and sharing Stewards unique knowledge with more legislators on this trip as an Ambassador for Recreation.

SEEKING APPOINTMENT TO NATIONAL FOREST PLANNING ADVISORY COMMITTEE-

I have been invited to seek an appointment to the newly formed National Forest Planning Advisory Committee, which will help determine how Forest Planning will be implemented in every Forest nationwide. Stewards have been working proactively to help ensure Forest Plan guidelines include recreation as a priority in each forest. We have not yet achieved that goal. Numerous Environmental issues are being pushed for Forest Plan priorities. Being on the National Advisory Committee will allow us make sure Recreation is a priority..

BEING PROACTIVE IS KEY-

This is all part of Stewards Proactive Program to keep trails open and preserve your access to your public lands.

Stewards of the Sequoia are Upping the Ante for Access. Your Access.

Problem is we lack the funding to do what needs to be done.

SDAR's tax deductible donation has helped Stewards accomplish so much, but I wanted to let you know we badly need more people to step up as you have done. Please ask your friends if they are doing their part to help Stewards to pay for this trip and continue the fight to keep our trails open.

You can also mail your donation (and we save the Pay Pal fee) to:

Stewards of the Sequoia

PO Box 267

Lake Isabella, CA 93240

We need to take advantage of these incredible opportunities like the above trip to DC and more, but only 12% of our members are donating and that is not enough to cover expenses to keep doing what needs to be done.

You can read about some of Stewards of the Sequoia many accomplishments at

http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/accomplishments.html

Spring Trail Appreciation Days Are Here

Stewards have upped the Ante for Access by adopting two more trails, Whiskey Flat and Rincon. Stewards have now officially adopted and maintain 11 trails as well as many others.

Whiskey Flat Trail needs a good bit of work to be passable again. Many sections have become choked by brush and downed trees. The Whiskey Flat trail is Stewards first non motorized trail adoption and we figured out a novel way to quickly get five miles in the trail by using using rafts to ferry over. Come join the fun as we do our second project on 1/28/12.

SPRING TRAIL APPRECIATION DAYS 2012

Location to be determined depending on weather and conditions

1/28/12 Whiskey Flat Trail

3/10/12 Location to be determines based on weather and soil condition

4/14/12 Location to be determines based on weather and soil condition

4/28/12 Location to be determines based on weather and soil condition

5/12/12 Location to be determines based on weather and soil condition

6/9/12 Location to be determines based on weather and soil condition

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

You can learn more at http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/events-schedule.html

Volunteering on your trails is one of the best ways to keep them open and prevent closures. Be Part Of The Solution!!

Thanks for your continued support. Together we can help keep our trails open!

Chris Horgan

Executive Director

Stewards of the Sequoia