Embarked on a short solo ride over Pinyon to Fish Creek Saturday morning. Perfect temp/conditions for riding. Met Steve and Rick (STeve63 CVRick, I believe) in the Pinyon lot and we decided to ride together halfway (they had planned to turn south to the mud caves and Sin Nombre, while I'd continue east then north).

A few miles into the trail and the clutch lever on my 520 began losing feel. Came back for a while with the lever adjust. Just after the drop I mentioned it to Steve and Rick seeing as we'd essentially passed a point of no return. By Fairchild it had completely given out, resulting in my first fall since ACL & meniscus tear (+, +, etc) at Big Bear almost 18 months ago. Needed some clutch to help modify my line and the bike chose to keep going up the wall on the right and tried to loop before finally stalling. Quick push the last few feet from Steve and Rick, and back on the trail.

New plan. Ride out the shortest route along Fish Creek, then Diablo back to the S2. Riding and stopping w/o clutch easy; starting again not so easy, but made it work. My thanks to Steve and Rick for some navigational input and a couple more pushes along the way. Those guys haul ass on their XR's. A slow rear flat for Steve ultimately had them skipping Sin Nombre and the three of us heading back to the trucks, ending the day a little early.

All in all, still a good day out despite only 36 dirt miles, 56 total back to the Pinyon lot. Lots of people/trucks out; brief chat with the Ranger. Little dusty but great conditions.

Sean

Embarked on a short solo ride over Pinyon to Fish Creek Saturday morning. Perfect temp/conditions for riding. Met Steve and Rick (STeve63 CVRick, I believe) in the Pinyon lot and we decided to ride together halfway (they had planned to turn south to the mud caves and Sin Nombre, while I'd continue east then north).

A few miles into the trail and the clutch lever on my 520 began losing feel. Came back for a while with the lever adjust. Just after the drop I mentioned it to Steve and Rick seeing as we'd essentially passed a point of no return. By Fairchild it had completely given out, resulting in my first fall since ACL & meniscus tear (+, +, etc) at Big Bear almost 18 months ago. Needed some clutch to help modify my line and the bike chose to keep going up the wall on the right and tried to loop before finally stalling. Quick push the last few feet from Steve and Rick, and back on the trail.

New plan. Ride out the shortest route along Fish Creek, then Diablo back to the S2. Riding and stopping w/o clutch easy; starting again not so easy, but made it work. My thanks to Steve and Rick for some navigational input and a couple more pushes along the way. Those guys haul ass on their XR's. A slow rear flat for Steve ultimately had them skipping Sin Nombre and the three of us heading back to the trucks, ending the day a little early.

All in all, still a good day out despite only 36 dirt miles, 56 total back to the Pinyon lot. Lots of people/trucks out; brief chat with the Ranger. Little dusty but great conditions.

Sean

BTDT- glad you made it out safely

yeah... those guys ride alright

Sean it was good ridin with you, You can really get on the trottle too. Sorry you had clutch issues and missed/waited for us to run Silverstone, Silverstone Canyon was a blast, one of my favorite's. Thats 2 times me and Rick have meant to do Canyon Sin Nombre and have not, Arghhhhh.. next time. After lookin at the map it might have been a toss up which way back to the truck was shorter, it was best that we stayed together.