hey we turned this into a Bib Mousse thread!

Fact is all the World Enduro championship teams run mousse tubes to prevent flats, those guys are competing in the 10th of a second range. If those things work for Mika, Juha, Johnny and all the other amazing WEC riders they really are ticket for trail riding success.

Well they don't have to pay for them and they only need them to last one day, so not necessarily correct but they are the ticket. And FYI the golden tyre mousses don't last as long as michelins, maybe half as long, I had to use one last year as couldn't get a michelin in time, wouldn't use them again.

Oops my bad. Call me jack.

For competition and trails, yes. But anybody that is reading this and thinking great idea for dualsport, not likely. I've read some guys will use them on the front only and have no problems doing 1000+ miles in Baja with multiple long runs on highways and not have issues. I don't intend to do this, mostly 10ish miles of pavement connecting trails at low speeds and lots of single track and forest roads.

One side benefit of running mousse or tire balls in front is you have no rim lock (or valve stem) so the wheel is naturally closer balanced.

18 inch only? I guess you still have to carry a 21 inch for the front in addition? Even if he made a 21 inch, I doubt the split design would allow you to run it in your 18 inch back tire like you can with a traditional 21 inch tube.

I'm with bikeslut, taking the actual wheel off takes no time at all. The wrench is built into my iron and it's nice to be able to get your hands 360 degrees on the wheel without having to worry about swingarms, brake lines, etc. Plus, if you have a centerstand or a convenient rock/stump/etc - you don't have to lay your bike down.

Of course, fixing a flat with the tubliss takes mere minutes with a plug - no need to pull the wheel or tire at all.

18 inch only? I guess you still have to carry a 21 inch for the front in addition? Even if he made a 21 inch, I doubt the split design would allow you to run it in your 18 inch back tire like you can with a traditional 21 inch tube.

I'm with bikeslut, taking the actual wheel off takes no time at all. The wrench is built into my iron and it's nice to be able to get your hands 360 degrees on the wheel without having to worry about swingarms, brake lines, etc. Plus, if you have a centerstand or a convenient rock/stump/etc - you don't have to lay your bike down.

Of course, fixing a flat with the tubliss takes mere minutes with a plug - no need to pull the wheel or tire at all.

After last year's adventure with my bike when I got the flat down at Otay, I went Tubeless on my rear tire so I can just plug and go. The TKC on the front is super easy to pop the bead and fix so that's keeping its tube.

The OG's post about the split tube... interesting.

... but I'm with most, I'd rather remove the wheel and go at it on a more comfortable playing field... OFF the bike.

Also, that split tube might be great as an emergency tube... but, Ultra HD for me all day long (no slime - right Jon!)

I've ridden, and raced with Tire balls.

Best overall feel for a tube less system in my opinion. But, aren't worth crap at "sustained" speeds in dirt or pavement. And when you start losing balls... they go quick being the pressures and heat are now on less balls per tire. Again, I'd carry a spare front thin tube if using "balls" to be on the safe side. They are much lighter than a bib, want to see one?? Let me know... and I'll try and bring it to the next SDAR meeting.

I've ridden and still have Tubliss Systems.

Great for low pressure, and around the truck or places close by. NOT for super long rides where you rely solely on the inner core. Even then, I'd carry a spare front thin tube "just in case". I have used them in Baja... for LONG pre-runs without problems, but still am a bit leary of the core giving way or the inner core's valve stem tearing apart (as it has on me once, by improper inflation technique). I did race with them, and they took a beating for a 100 miles... in high heat. They are light... and given the alternatives, MUCH lighter than the competition of 'flat' proof type systems (even though they aren't "flat proof"). And I will say... Jeff at Nuetech, is the most customer service oriented guy in the market place. He wants your feedback, wants you to call him, and listens!! He even went out and bought a D-739 A/T rear when I told him what a bear they were to mount. He mounted it in 20min and proved me a p*ssy! heh.gif

I've ridden bibs, on a friends bike.

Given I've not had bibs on my own bike, nor do I have much experience with them... the time I rode with them, I noticed an odd feeling of the tire/bib combo. Similar to tire balls. Definitely something to get used to. And they do wear ... I'd say a rear is good for a max of 1000 miles, with a speed limit on pavement of 65... and a bit more on dirt (this is coming from my racer friends experiences, and camp fire talk about our tire/tube combos... or "race secrets"). Pretty darn heavy.

My sole love is for the use of Bridgestone Ultra HD tubes.

... those things, are tires without knobbies. Yes... heavy... but with the right hard carcass sidewall tire, are NEAR flat proof. And yes, I still carry a spare front thin tube. dry.gif

Guest Crusty

I've ridden and still have Tubliss Systems.

Great for low pressure, and around the truck or places close by. NOT for super long rides where you rely solely on the inner core. Even then, I'd carry a spare front thin tube "just in case". I have used them in Baja... for LONG pre-runs without problems, but still am a bit leary of the core giving way or the inner core's valve stem tearing apart (as it has on me once, by improper inflation technique). I did race with them, and they took a beating for a 100 miles... in high heat. They are light... and given the alternatives, MUCH lighter than the competition of 'flat' proof type systems (even though they aren't "flat proof"). And I will say... Jeff at Nuetech, is the most customer service oriented guy in the market place. He wants your feedback, wants you to call him, and listens!! He even went out and bought a D-739 A/T rear when I told him what a bear they were to mount. He mounted it in 20min and proved me a p*ssy! http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/heh.gif[/i

Great reply, J.A. Thats why I carry a thin front tube and a front and rear bladder-tube, that still weighs-costs less than 1 ultra heavy duty tube.

I mounted a D-739 A/T on my 500, it was hard but with lots of lube it's possible.