Sign in to follow this  
2Wheels

Sat 2-17 Eastlake to Julian

MEET Saturday 2-17-07 9:00 AM at the Carl's Junior at Eastlake Parkway and Olympic Parkway - that's in the WalMart shopping center.

There's a gas station in that same shopping center so anyone needing to buy gas beforehand can get it right there.

The problem of traction on corners can easily be solved by slowing down a little. The pace will be slow.

Route:

From Eastlake – Proctor Valley Road (County-maintained dirt road) to Jamul

From Jamul – Lyons Valley Road (tarmac) to Descanso

From Descanso – Boulder Creek Road (County-maintained dirt road) to Julian

One way, this route is about 65 miles long and it takes about 2 hours without stopping. With a few stops thrown in, it may take us a little longer.

On the way back:

From Julian to Descanso – Boulder Creek Road

From Descanso to Alpine – Viejas Grade Road (County-maintained dirt road)

Alpine would be a good option to for anyone who wants to split off and go home since I'll be taking mostly pavement back to Eastlake from Alpine.

From Alpine my route will be: Harbison Cyn - Dehesa - Willow Glen - Steele Cyn - Hwy 94 - Proctor Valley Road. End at Eastlake.

This an easy route and a great opportunity to see the scenery on some of San Diego's back roads. Perfect for someone who wants to get his feet wet off-pavement.

i'm a beginner B) i'm in.

You'll enjoy the ride. Not exactly intense technical riding, but great scenery in some of San Diego's rural areas.

A note on Proctor Valley Road: I just drove it in my truck on my way to El Cajon and back. It's washboarded in a few places but in pretty good condition. I think the County's going to have to pave it soon because it gets a lot of of traffic for a dirt road.

Someone PM'd me a question about finding the meeting location, and I thought someone else may have the same question.

All are welcome - whether you've registered for the website or not.

Eastlake WalMart is at the northwest corner of Eastlake Parkway and Olympic Parkway.

1360 Eastlake Parkway

Chula Vista, CA 91915

It comes right up on MapQuest

If you use MapQuest, you can also enter Eastlake Pkwy & Olympic Pkwy as the intersection and 91915 as the zip and it comes up as well. You have to use the "&" symbol rather than spell out the word "and" for the intersection search on MapQuest to work.

Coming from the 805, you would use either the Telegraph Canyon exit or the Olympic Parkway exit.

Once you find WalMart, you can't miss Carl's Junior. The parking lot on the south side of WalMart isn't used as much as the lot in front of the store and it's right next to Carl's Junior. That's where I'll be. I'll be the guy with the little blue Suzuki.

Hey 2 wheels....

Anythoughts of going over OtayMt from Otay Lakes Rd and coming out at Maron Valley Rd and 94 and then heading down Honey Springs toward Lyons Valley.....

Sounds like some backtraking....I'm just thinking outloud.

Any way I'd like to attend..I need to be at my daughter's soccer game at 1pm, but that's my dealio.

Would I be safe to say I can meet the group at the AM-PM gas station at 94 and Proctor Valley????

Say....9:20-9:30? I am on a Blue DRZ400S

I need some dirt before heading to the Desert Dash next weekend.

Here's a shot from OtayMt Last time I was up there in Dec.

Posted Image

Would I be safe to say I can meet the group at the AM-PM gas station at 94 and Protor Valley????

Say....9:20-9:30? I am on a Blue DRZ400S

I need some dirt before heading to the Desert Dash next weekend.

That would work. It's 20 minutes from Eastlake to the Jamul AM/PM. If we leave right on time - not likely - that would put us at the AM/PM at 9:20.

Any way I'd like to attend..I need to be at my daughter's soccer game at 1pm, but that's my dealio.

It's 2 hours one way from Eastlake to Julian on the Route we're taking. If you wanted to be back at Jamul by 12:30 or so to make a 1:00 soccer game, you could turn around at Boulder Creek Road and Engineers Road and head back to Jamul. That should give you plenty of time to make the soccer game.

Boulder Creek Road and Engineers Road is where Boulder Creek turns back into pavement again.

Anythoughts of going over OtayMt from Otay Lakes Rd and coming out at Maron Valley Rd and 94 and then heading down Honey Springs toward Lyons Valley.....

Sounds like some backtraking....I'm just thinking outloud.

This ride's going to be about 125 miles round trip, and it'll probably take about 5 to 6 hours including stops.

I'm taking my wife to dinner later in the afternoon. I better have a real good excuse if I'm late to that. I think I better not add Otay Mountain to the itinerary.

See ya at the AM/PM

Gene

I am very familiar with Engineers, and somewhat with Boulder Creek.

Getting back to LaMesa for the game by 1....well I can be a few minutes late.....67 - Old Julian - Wildcat back on 67 to 8..... 1hr 15 min tops.

We'll see youzall at about 9:20 or so...... drop dead for me is 9:45....if for some reason you guys are held up, I'll be doing the Otay run just as a backup run. But I expect we'll all be riding fine.

If something comes up, ring me please.... 619-977-9162....anytime after 9:15.

Gene, thanks for leading the ride. Great road that I had never been on. Wish I would have remembered my camera. Good to meet everyone, see you all on the next ride sometime.

Thanks guys, had a good time.

Made it to the game 4 minutes before start time.

Unfortunatley my daughter is headed for an xRay of her left wrist at 7:30 after a last quarter mishap.

Made it down to the beach to meet a few of the boys for a cold one, all in all, I'd say it was near a perfect day!!

Thanks again Gene!! Hey post some pics! My wife has our camera stashed in the car. ;)