Sign in to follow this  
Marbee40

OHV areas UT, ID, MT?

O' Knowledgable Ones,

As most of you know, I'll soon be departing the land of the Riding Sun for the greener pastures (tundra?) of the Last Frontier. My departure date is March 1st (just around the corner).

My old mentor and good buddy Jack Conrad is flying down from AK to make the trip with me. He's a bit "older" in body only. His mind says "HAUL A**!" but his body doesn't always agree.

We are taking I-15 up thru MT into Canada, and then over to the ALCAN highway into AK. I've been on the ALCAN twice before, and I'm very familiar with it. I-15, on the other hand, is a bit of a mystery.

I've got a GMC 3/4t p/u and a 33' toy-hauler. I've got the two d/s bikes and two atv's that we're hauling up.

My GOAL is to do between 300-500 miles a day. We have TEN days to make the entire trip. EASY! So, with that being said, I'll get to my point:

1. We'd prefer to dry-camp near the I-15 corridor all the way up. (My trailer is self-sufficient) The VIEW outside the trailer is important!

2. I'd like to stop near 3 or 4 OHV area's along the route.

3. We'd like to spend about 4 hours riding at each OHV area. Nothing hard-core, just dual-sport/nice views.

I've already spotted two places I'd like to stop at along the route. One is Dumont Dunes outside of Baker, Ca. The other is Little Sahara Recreation Area (BLM) north of Cedar City, Utah.

If ANY of you have any advice for GOOD places to camp/ride that might fit the bill, I would REALLY appreciate it!

THANKS!

Jim