Sign in to follow this  
grantzilla

Tires! Tube and Tubless interchange

Had a little dialog going on another thread in regards to tires and thought I'd bring it here.

I got the word from Dig Dug that using tubeless tires with tubes on a tube type rim should be ok. He had heard that high speed may degrade the tube, but was not sure. Sounds pretty feasible and makes sense to me. I contacted motorcycleproshop.com and asked if I could run tubeless tires with tubes and they said "Yes tubeless tires do still accept tubes in them there shouldn’t be any problem using a tube."

It looks like many larger dual sport bikes do run tubeless tires with tubes on tube type spoked rims without any problems.

So I was just wondering if anyone else had experience or knowledge on this?

For now I'm going to stick with the battlewings till they wear out for economic reasons mostly. I've seen what tntmo can do with street tires on dirt, rocks and trails and I've ridden trailwings offroad a bit and had great fun until I hit deep sand or mud.

some tubeless tires have a "pattern" on the inside... this can lead to abrasion on the the tube, and possible failure...

LOTS of different trailwing patterns, some are worse than others

some tubeless tires have a "pattern" on the inside... this can lead to abrasion on the the tube, and possible failure...

LOTS of different trailwing patterns, some are worse than others

It makes sense that patterns, seams or chords on the inside may rub on the tube and cause failure eventually.

I really do want to stick to tube type tires, just looking for a good street knobbie. The Shara 3 looks like it will fit my rims and provide enough offroad capability.

Really want to stay away from trailwings, hated the way the wee conered on them. They seemed to push the front end to the outside of corners and did not have a nice quick drop in to a turn feel.