SteveO

Big Adventure Bike Ride, 8/31/08

Our ride went very well today; good roads and trails and no crashes (at least while I was around). I didn't take as many pictures as I had planned, but here they are. We rode Margarita Rd and then went up to the Wildomar OHV area. We took a break there and all but myself decided to ride all the way up to Ortega Hwy and then return home on the highways. I returned to Fallbrook via Sandia Creek, then did some lane splitting on Hwy 76 and Hwy 5.

We didn't leave the Park and Ride until 7:25, due to a plumbing problem that Martoon had overnight. We met up with Rob in Fallbrook, and that made eight of us for the trip. Yeti volunteered to ride sweep and I could always tell when he rode up because of all the lights he has on his R1200GS. We ended up with four 650s, two 950s and two 1200s, so on average I guess it was a big bike ride as advertised. I was quite impressed with how well the big bikes with dual sport tires did in the dirt. I think the most important factor is actually the rider, and these guys were good.

Even though we had about fifteen miles of dirt (again, while I was around), the roads were also a lot of fun to ride, and that is part of adventure riding!

Steve

01ParknRide.jpg

Part of the group at the Park and Ride in Carlsbad. ron_c, humptythumty, Jack and Yeti.

02TrailTop.jpg

Martoon, ron_c, Rob, Jay, Yeti and Jack at the top of Margarita Rd.

03TrailTop.jpg

Wayne at the top with the bikes.

04TrailTop.jpg

Just the bikes.

05Jack_Scott.jpg

Jack and Scott descending Margarita.

06Yeti.jpg

Yeti showing good form. See all the lights?!!

Thanks for setting up a great ride Steve. Sorry we all ditched you at the OHV park. You guys started earlier than I did and I wanted more. Wayne and I lost everyone else after lunch and then we headed to Indian Truck Trail for some more dirt. I didn't take any pics but Wayne has plenty to share hopefully.

It was nice meeting and riding with you all today.

Thanks Scott for posting the ride and getting it started.

Thanks Steve for laying out the route and providing the Route cards. Not sure what the area around where we rode is called (De Luz Canyon?) but it was real nice. Even though the Cleveland Forest road is paved it has an adventure feel to it and was a nice change of pace.

After everyone took off to go their own way I hooked up with Rob to do a little more dirt riding. He knows his way around out there pretty well and we had an excellent adventure.

The trail you see in the photos is about 20 miles long and perfect for the big bikes. Good views, lots of ups, downs and turns and lots of fun! We’ll have to all get together in the future and do it as a group.

Close to where the trail ends is Hells Kitchen. For those who haven’t been, you need to go, at least once. Very cool place.

Rob, thanks for showing me some neat trails and being patient with my picture taking.

Except the group shot all the pictures are from the Indian Truck Trail portion of the ride.

http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/L...mview=slideshow

Wayne, sounds like you guys had some good riding after we split up. Next time I'll stick around for more if it isn't so damn hot. (And I don't have to get the ribs cooking for dinner!!)

Anyways, my shots form the day. Wayne (humptythumpy) and I met up in Clairemont where we live (and Chad lives close by too) and rode up to the La Costa park n ride. SteveO showed up with great a great route planned and had small guides for all of us!!

img0112ab8.jpg

Here are the first bikes there with Chad (who doesn't have a screen name yet on the WeeStrom) Wayne (humptythumpty on his KTM 950S), Ron(ron_c who was on his 1200GS) and Steve (SteveO on his DR650).

img0114us5.jpg

A short time later, Martoon showed up on his KTM 950S with Joe (? on his XR650L). Joe's bike made me miss my BRP. :D

Wayne: "Here let me help you with that tag that's sticking up in the back." Let's say that Martoon is vertically challenged but he rides that Adventure REALLY well. Very impressive amd the stops are fun! :D

So we headed up the 5:

img0116kj7.jpg

Then took the 76 to Olive Hill Road which is pretty fun:

img0120es0.jpg

We then picked up Rob and from there we went out Tenaja Road to Margarita Road which is fun, mostly 1st and 2nd gear dirt. Here we are at the re-group/turn around point:

img0122bu5.jpg

Here's SteveO on the way back exhibiting good form:

img0124ro8.jpg

We then rode what I know as Killen Trail but is also caleld Cleveland Forrest Road something or other . . . anyways it's a blast of twists and turns of questionable asphalt. We stopped at the Wildomar OHV area:

img0127rg7.jpg

Here are ron_c, Chad, Joe, Martoon and Rob at the OHV parknig lot. From there, Chad, ron_c and I continued up Killen Trail and stopped at the glider port overlooking Elsinore.

img0128yg6.jpg

ron_c asking, "Is that Lake Elsinore?"

img0129na3.jpg

Me: "Yup, I think it is!!"

The three of us rode to the end of Killen Trail which is Ortega Highway. ron_c headed west to the 5 while Chad and I took Ortega east, figuring the 15 would be the quickest way back. I managed to take 2 butterflies into my helmet on Ortega and then a bee on the 15. Bastard stung me but oh well, just made my neck all ugly looking.

Chad, if you check this out, and I know your application is still in La La Land, shoot me an email if you want to ride again soon. dsbarb[at]gmail.com (Same goes for everyone, Chad just can't shoot me a PM through the site here!)

Thanks again to everyone, it was a great ride and everyone was awesome. I'll take more pictures next time, it's always sort of tough stopping for pictures when you're riding with new people.

Scott