Mescalero

Lap top purchase advice

Any PC techies?I am looking to buy one and know nothing about them. It will be for work and play with main use hooking up to the net via Verizon air card. My partner at work has an HP that he got from Costco and ordered it from Costco.com and was able to customize it how he wanted it. He also returns it every 6 months before the store warranty expires to get a new one.(Costco's policy that I hear many take advantage of) Is this a good source or should I just go to Best Buy where I get all my other electronics and buty the extendo warranty?Anyways, he's out of town and I need advice as to what I need. I dont know what KB,gig,and other speeds and memory I need. I do know I want something that is reputable and not underpowered.Ny ideas? Thanks

You may have posted on the wrong site to ask about computers, but I'll give it a try. If all you're using it for is the internet and e-mail, you don't need a fast processor or a lot of memory. It'll still work 10 years from now. I have a laptop that I bought in 1996, and it still works. I just don't think it would connect to the internet on a high-speed connection. On the other hand, I got a game computer for my son 2 years ago. It had all the latest and greatest of everything when I bought it. Don't ask me what all that stuff was, because I just walked into Comp USA and bought their best game computer. Now, only 2 years later, it won't even play the newest games. I had to get a new video card installed ($200) so he could play a Star Wars game that someone gave him. So I think that if you're only using it for the internet and e-mail, just get a mid-range computer and get a subscription to some kind of internet security like Symantec or McAfee. The computer will probably keep working until it's ready for a museum.

You may have posted on the wrong site to ask about computers, but I'll give it a try.  If all you're using it for is the internet and e-mail, you don't need a fast processor or a lot of memory.  It'll still work 10 years from now.  I have a laptop that I bought in 1996, and it still works.  I just don't think it would connect to the internet on a high-speed connection.  On the other hand, I got a game computer for my son 2 years ago.  It had all the latest and greatest of everything when I bought it.  Don't ask me what all that stuff was, because I just walked into Comp USA and bought their best game computer.  Now, only 2 years later, it won't even play the newest games.  I had to get a new video card installed ($200) so he could play a Star Wars game that someone gave him.  So I think that if you're only using it for the internet and e-mail, just get a mid-range computer and get a subscription to some kind of internet security like Symantec or McAfee.  The computer will probably keep working until it's ready for a museum.

Ya, I know but wanted to throw it out there since everyone here has a pc of some sort. I'm trying to get educated before I go into a superstore and have the sales person "tell me what I need"

Any PC techies?I am looking to buy one and know nothing about them.

hey mescalero,,saw you post , and i'm not a pc techie,, but my daughter is...she thas tought at couple of differant computer schools , and is now a I.T. for a large troubleshoting firm.. i copy and pasted your post to her, and asked her to e mail me something that i could copy and paste back to you.i have no idea what shes talking about, hope you do... This is kina like where do I go to buy a car type questionMost anything you can buy on the market now has adequate power(3ghz processor 512mb of ram) for the average home user so unless your an avid gamer, home movie maker dont sweat that too much. As far as pricing you'll find that your BestBuys, Frys, CompUSA etc are all very competitive(within $50-$100) of each other and their warranties are okay but buying straight from a manufacturer like Dell gives you a 3 yr warranty with on site tech support which means you call them and they come to you to fix (with that said speaking from personal experience I have spent literally hours on the phone with Dell when something goes wrong)Sounds like he liked the HP from Costco which is fine too ,always take up a friend on their recommendation or from their experience dealing with returned product since Costco doesnt have techs they will take it back and most likely replace it with a new oneAll in all a pretty sweet deal the one thing to consider to what to do with all your data when you play musical computers and the second is that Costco is wising up to how many returned computers they are getting so their policy may change sometime in the future but again all in all a pretty sweet dealto sum up think of it like buying any other electronic or car , you can have a good or bad experience any wheremy personal vote would probably be for Costco

Kaw'ee...... and daughterTHANKS for the response. I am pulling the trigger this weekend and going with a customized HP from Costco.com. Its going to have everything I need and plenty I dont know I'll need :ph34r: plus for $180 more I get a 3 year factory waranty. Thanks again.