Ron

Motorcycle license

Hmmn, I think I need to check that out. I'm always looking to learn new things. Hell, I screw up so much I learn a lot just about every day anyways!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a provider? I looked at the link that Doug posted and I see schools in Irvine, Temecula, Lakeside, etc. all of which are close enough to reach on the XR.

(I assume doing the course on a GS would be a bad idea. True? B) )

Hmmn, I think I need to check that out. I'm always looking to learn new things. Hell, I screw up so much I learn a lot just about every day anyways!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a provider? I looked at the link that Doug posted and I see schools in Irvine, Temecula, Lakeside, etc. all of which are close enough to reach on the XR.

I know a couple guys that are setting up a course in the local area: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ic=1877&hl=

(Hey, where's my commission???)

(I assume doing the course on a GS would be a bad idea. True? :lol: )

If I remember correctly, there are a few parts where you have to get off the bike, turn it around, etc. You'd probably enjoy it a bit more on a smaller bike. I did it on my XR650L - no problem...

(I assume doing the course on a GS would be a bad idea. True? :lol: )

I know who teaches the MSF Basic DirtBike School, We do. ;)

DirtSafety.com

I wouldn't think you'd need to rent a smaller bike.....your 650L is MUCH easier to handle than a street bike weighing in at 500-1200lbs.....you oughta be able to handle a figure 8, etc. on your 650 with no problem at all.....

I took the test on a 77 Suzuki GT550 Street bike (good ole street legal two smoker) and passed no problem.......I bought that bike from Fred (Snaildarter on SDAR) when he traded up to a 750GS around ~1979.....which means I bought that bike/took the test ~29 years ago <_< .....geez Freddy, we're getting old! :unsure: :fool: :friends:

Yup - you're old. I'm of course much younger...... :angry:

That was a great bike, and my first. I took my first driving test on that as well.

I figure that if you can't pass a driving test on the bike you're going to be riding - then you shouldn't be riding that bike on the road.

There are some states which also have grades of MC licenses, scooter, up to 500CC, and anytning goes. You have to take the test on a bike representative of what you plan to ride. I don't know about CA.

The only time I had an issue with a driving test was when I took one with my '80 GS750 which I had put clubman bars on. Those would hit the tank and limit the amount you could turn the handlebars. That made it tough in the tight cones, but still managed.

Ride safe --