Sign in to follow this  
husky4me

BMW G650X-challenge report

I have put over 2K miles on my bike. I really like the looks and the suspension works great. It has served the initial purpose of my getting this bike, to go on longer trips (but still not be too heavy). It rides great on the street and off-road; smooth, but has power when you want it. I had some issues with stalling at idle or low speeds, but I think those have been resolved (or so I hope). It does need more protection for the motor, as I broke a banjo bolt on a Baja trip to Mike's, but I plan to get a more heavy duty skid plate. I have been at times too critical on my bike, but after reading posts on advrider on other brands, I have come to the conclusion that there's no perfect bike stock, but you have to play around with it and make it work for your type of riding.

This bike is not as dirt tough as advertised, but it is very off-road capable and a perfect compromise. On dirt it feels easy, smooth, powerful, and fun!!! :angry::D:D

Now that BMW purchased Husqvarna, I'm wondering about the future of the new G series (Xchallenge, Xcountry, and supermoto). Sales don't seem to be kicking in (these bikes are good, but a little pricey in my opinion). I know they are dropping the old classic F650GS (already dropped the Dakar). Maybe they will have the off-road bikes under husqvarna, and maybe will continue with the big adventure bikes like the R1200GS (even make the 800's GS???). Well, it's all speculation...

San Diego BMW has been great for the most part, with the exception of a single situation I got frustrated with a service guy. Gary is a very nice person, so I would deal directly with him. Sean DeAngelis (from parts) is also nice and very helpful. :angry:

Another ride update on my G650X after 3 K miles, new Touratech Skid Plate, and Michelin Baja DOT tires.

I am very happy with my bike at this time, now that I have made some adjustments (skid plate, tires). During my Baja trip, the bike performed really well off-road on muddy conditions, rocks, sand, and all. Then, on the road parts, it was just very smooth and a pleasure to ride (with ample power). After 50 miles of riding on pavement, the seat does get a little bit uncomfortable, but with some rests, it's not too bad. It does need a bigger gas tank which I plan to get in the future. If you ride it on pavement at 55 or 60 MPH, it will show the reserve at about 120 miles, and finish the tank at 150 miles. But in mostly dirt, and technical, my reserve light came up at 80 miles. Going 75 MPH to 80 MPH, on pavement, the reserve will come up at about 90 miles.

The thing that I love about this bike is that after doing smooth pavement, rocky terrain, muds, then I encounter some smooth sandy trails with whoops that I can jump, and this bike just becomes so much fun!!! :lol: It is a very well balanced bike, do it all, and much fun! I'm learning to like and enjoy my bike more and more as I continue to make improvements to it, and ride it more.

It's not fun to crash and have it land on you. Nor is it fun to pick it up after a fall. But, during my Baja Trip, my bike worked so well that I was lucky not to have a single fall...

Here's a picture in Baja with new skid plate, and micheline baja tires. I still need to put hand guards, bigger gas tank etc, etc.. but I'm broke now...

By the way, San Diego BMW service Dept, has been treating me like a king! It has been a real pleasure dealing with them, after that little misunderstanding...

SantoDomingoBaja08054-1.jpg

thanks for the ride update. i was really thinking about one of these, but a last i will wait and see what the f800gs has to offer.

have you thought about putting luggage on the f650?

sonny

thanks for the ride update. i was really thinking about one of these, but a last i will wait and see what the f800gs has to offer.

have you thought about putting luggage on the f650?

sonny

There are many options for the G650X. Luggage racks, and multiple stuff available. I'm not really interested on a lugage rack, as it is not necessary for my needs... Tourachtech has lots of options available, but they are pricie. Check this out: http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/bmw.lasso?SubCat=G650X

Also, this other sites: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/595/

http://www.hydedevelopments.co.za/products...enture/bmw.html

The F800GS looks very nice also... It's heavier, but more powerful two cylinder engine, and may be more comfortable for the longer adventures... Who knows, maybe I will end up trading my bike for the 800... :o But, I'm pretty content with what I got right now. :o

New update: Changed the stock paper filter for a foam unifilter... Bike performs much better, and no more stalling during cold and iddle... Getting better every day! <_<

Another ride update on my G650X after 3 K miles, new Touratech Skid Plate, and Michelin Baja DOT tires.

I am very happy with my bike at this time, now that I have made some adjustments (skid plate, tires). During my Baja trip, the bike performed really well off-road on muddy conditions, rocks, sand, and all. Then, on the road parts, it was just very smooth and a pleasure to ride (with ample power). After 50 miles of riding on pavement, the seat does get a little bit uncomfortable, but with some rests, it's not too bad. It does need a bigger gas tank which I plan to get in the future. If you ride it on pavement at 55 or 60 MPH, it will show the reserve at about 120 miles, and finish the tank at 150 miles. But in mostly dirt, and technical, my reserve light came up at 80 miles. Going 75 MPH to 80 MPH, on pavement, the reserve will come up at about 90 miles.

The thing that I love about this bike is that after doing smooth pavement, rocky terrain, muds, then I encounter some smooth sandy trails with whoops that I can jump, and this bike just becomes so much fun!!! :D It is a very well balanced bike, do it all, and much fun! I'm learning to like and enjoy my bike more and more as I continue to make improvements to it, and ride it more.

It's not fun to crash and have it land on you. Nor is it fun to pick it up after a fall. But, during my Baja Trip, my bike worked so well that I was lucky not to have a single fall...

Here's a picture in Baja with new skid plate, and micheline baja tires. I still need to put hand guards, bigger gas tank etc, etc.. but I'm broke now...

By the way, San Diego BMW service Dept, has been treating me like a king! It has been a real pleasure dealing with them, after that little misunderstanding...

SantoDomingoBaja08054-1.jpg

Punta La Gringa via LA Bay?