Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crusty

CrustyBaja Adventure cancelled poor to fair 2'-3'surf

Guest Crusty

I am planning a ride leaving Carlsbad around 10:00 am Thursday riding to Rosarito for lunch ,

then to Las Rocas for the night.http://www.lasrocas....sort/index.html

It's a great place to stay, on the beach, stairs to some Awesome waves.

Friday morning breakfast at Las Rocas then ride into Ensenada for the Baja 500-http://dualsport-sd....-its-all-honda/

We had an awesome time 2 years ago and are planing to do it again.

pics here.http://dualsport-sd....ja-500-results/

more pics.http://dualsport-sd....urf-ride-skate/

FILE0947.jpg

FILE0999.jpg

Guest Crusty

Got the Crows Nest, for saturday night.

crowsnest86.jpg

Phone number is 011-52-646-154-4080

http://www.coyotecals.com/

Coyote Cals is a gem of a destination and also an iconic landmark in Erendira. I hope they fill up before, during and after race day...But;

SCORE has the race specifically taking the high-line (former either or) on the EAST SIDE of Cals...

COYOTECALS.jpg

Hey Craig Im defently goin to watch the start of the 500. I haven't quite figured out if im driving the truck or riding the bike. If my woman goes I think I will be driving the truck. If she bails I might like to meet up with you on the bike. Taking a friends boat might be a option as well and staying at the Coral marina. Hey do you think it will be dark when the racers come through Cal's :torch:

Guest Crusty

Hey do you think it will be dark when the racers come through Cal's :torch:

The bikes are expected around 12:00 and cars, about 4 hours later, so no most will be by before dark.

We will also be in town for the start 6;00 am for bikes 10:00 am for cars.

I have stayed in town many times, but this year we want to go to Cal's.

We look forward to seeing you at the start.

Thinking of riding my 450X at Pala this Sunday, want to ride the track?

Or Lark on the 500?

Craig.

Guest Crusty

(quote)RAK SAN DIEGO

If your not racing or pitting, Cal's (Rick's) would be the place to be....just saying you could be downing beers in one of the most beautiful places on the course and watch racers between you and the ocean or turn around and watch the racers trying to take the short cut behind Cal's.

(quote) TecateRay

I second Ron's recommendation. Coyote Cal's is a fun place without the race - it will just be that much better to watch the race with Lulu serving up cold cervezas and cocktails. Might as well stay for dinner and get a room!

Mile336Erendiraem.jpg

Mile3364.jpg

(quote)RAK SAN DIEGO

If your not racing or pitting, Cal's (Rick's) would be the place to be....just saying you could be downing beers in one of the most beautiful places on the course and watch racers between you and the ocean or turn around and watch the racers trying to take the short cut behind Cal's.

(quote) TecateRay

I second Ron's recommendation. Coyote Cal's is a fun place without the race - it will just be that much better to watch the race with Lulu serving up cold cervezas and cocktails. Might as well stay for dinner and get a room!

Mile336Erendiraem.jpg

Mile3364.jpg

Does anyone think that Lulu is friendly? Everytime I stay at CC she is somewhere between aloof and unfriendly. Of course it could just be me...

:heh:

DD

Guest Crusty

I am postponing this ride till a the waves are better.

Forecast is POOR to FAIR 2'-3' for days with a small swell filling in late Saturday.

Storms in the SPAC have been rather ragged and spotty lately, however, a much better storm/fetch has just recently developed in the central SPAC with a modest to locally fun size shot of SSW-South swell (195-175 deg) for the first week in June. Look for longer period forerunners from this swell to arrive into the region late Saturday night and continue to pick up through the day on Sunday, June 3rd with the bulk of swell hitting over the 4th-5th, next Monday and Tuesday.

Forecast is POOR to FAIR 2'-3' for days with a small swell filling in late Saturday.

Storms in the SPAC have been rather ragged and spotty lately, however, a much better storm/fetch has just recently developed in the central SPAC with a modest to locally fun size shot of SSW-South swell (195-175 deg) for the first week in June. Look for longer period forerunners from this swell to arrive into the region late Saturday night and continue to pick up through the day on Sunday, June 3rd with the bulk of swell hitting over the 4th-5th, next Monday and Tuesday.

Well, I went anyhow, and it wasn't all that bad. I just did my first Baja ride - a surf trip to the tip and back. More on-road than off, but enough off-road to make it fun. The longest off-road stretch was the San Ignacio to Scorpion Bay part. A bit of an adventure since I haven't ridden off-road in over 30 years. This trip was the first time I had ridden my DR650 off-road, the first time I had ridden it with luggage, and the first time with off-road boots. I did some prep for the ride, which you can see at my blog here: http://surfmotoblog.com/.

Anyhow, good fun. Looking forward to doing it again soon. Maybe not alone this time. That probably wasn't my best idea ever, but all's well that ends well. Especially after getting a good surf on the east cape!

Guest Crusty

Well, I went anyhow, and it wasn't all that bad. I just did my first Baja ride - a surf trip to the tip and back. More on-road than off, but enough off-road to make it fun. The longest off-road stretch was the San Ignacio to Scorpion Bay part. A bit of an adventure since I haven't ridden off-road in over 30 years. This trip was the first time I had ridden my DR650 off-road, the first time I had ridden it with luggage, and the first time with off-road boots. I did some prep for the ride, which you can see at my blog here: http://surfmotoblog.com/.

Anyhow, good fun. Looking forward to doing it again soon. Maybe not alone this time. That probably wasn't my best idea ever, but all's well that ends well. Especially after getting a good surf on the east cape!

Wow Awesome!!! looked at your BLOG.

Would like to see pics and story of your trip.

Baja is my escape from the crowds when the surf gets REALLY GOOD!!!

I get plenty of waves here and around Carlsbad on all the other days.

I watch Surfline for solid 6'+++ swells then plan quick trips.

On a bike it is easy to score uncrowded epic waves in Baja.

One of the best things, is no boarder wait, I split lanes with my wife and surfboard all the way to the poles.

I can get from Rosarito to Pacific Beach in an hour.

I am IN for a Baja run soon, just waiting for the right swell

Are you able to ditch work when the surf is right?

Craigcoolio.gif

Guest Crusty

A good mod for your rack is to replace the bungee cords with thicker ones.

Remove the black caps on the end of the tubes with an allen wrench.

Cut off and remove the little ones and throw them away.

Drill out the caps and install full size bungee cords.

I would also install a 3rd allen bolt to the top of your rack.

The next thing I would do is change your tires.

Those won't work well in deep sand and falling on your board side is not an option.

I also Have had issues with the DG. silencer it comes with really cheap packing

It blows out quickly, it sounds good but you will lose power because the exhaust swirls instead of exiting the pipe.

This silencer needs the packing to support the inner pipe and spark arrestor.

I didn't re pack mine and it fell apart.

Craig.

rack-on-front-view-small1-e1331068583315.jpg?w=490&h=656

img_1320.jpg

A good mod for your rack is to replace the bungee cords with thicker ones.

Remove the black caps on the end of the tubes with an allen wrench.

Cut off and remove the little ones and throw them away.

Drill out the caps and install full size bungee cords.

I would also install a 3rd allen bolt to the top of your rack.

The next thing I would do is change your tires.

Those won't work well in deep sand and falling on your board side is not an option.

I also Have had issues with the DG. silencer it comes with really cheap packing

It blows out quickly, it sounds good but you will lose power because the exhaust swirls instead of exiting the pipe.

This silencer needs the packing to support the inner pipe and spark arrestor.

I didn't re pack mine and it fell apart.

Craig.

rack-on-front-view-small1-e1331068583315.jpg?w=490&h=656

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm just getting the hang of this forum.

Thanks a ton for the tips. I haven't touched this bike since returning from Baja, but there's a bunch of work I need to do. Those tips are huge!

And another Baja trip sounds great! I can't always ditch work, but with enough warning I have some flexibility.

And for those 6'+++ days I may be the cameraman. ;)

But I'm happy to have finally found at least one other guy who wants to do this. And someone with more experience than me is GREAT!

So keep me posted. Actually, I need to check this more often. I thought I would get an email when someone posted, but I'll have to be more diligent.

img_1320.jpg