​All American KTM was out of filter skins last week so I dropped down the hill to pick up some filter skins at Vey's. I picked up the filter skins and I was walking around the store doing the obligatory new bike tire kicking when a new/leftover white 2012 VStrom caught my eyes. Hmmmm, hey, this can't be the same bike that comes to my mind when I hear the names "VStrom" or "Wee-Strom" (650cc verison). I've never really paid much attention to the VStrom product line......no interest. So I did my due diligence and checked out some older/used VStroms on Craigslist when I got home. I wanted to make sure my eyes/mind haven't been deceiving me all these years. They haven't. The 2004-2011 used market is affordable, and some of the bikes you'll find out there are nicely farkled, but the older models just don't do it (for me) or really motivate me to jump back into the street bike game again (and they would require cash out of pocket). Whereas the new 2012/2013 models appear to be light years ahead of the tired looking 2004-2011 VStroms in both styling (IMHO) and performance (reviews). And how do you argue with $0 down and 0% interest? 2012/2013 vs. prior years *Body restyled *Fuel tank capacity reduced from 5.8 gallons to 5.3 *Seat height raised from 32.3 to 32.9 inches *Internal transmission changes to reduce noise and boost low to midrange torque *Power increase from 63.5 horsepower and 41.2 lb-ft of torque to 66.2 horsepower and 43.0 lb-ft of torque *Rear suspension travel increased .4" to 6.3 inches *Redesigned instrument panel *Reduction in GVW by 18 lbs Review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/235/11326/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Suzuki-V-Strom-650-First-Ride.aspx My last street/sport bike was a 98 Honda Superhawk which I sold a few years ago. It was a 996cc V-Twin and a lot of fun. The smaller/middleweight VStrom also has a torquey V-Twin engine (similar to the SV650 sport bike but unlike the SV engine, which uses cast iron cylinder sleeves, the VStrom uses Suzuki's proprietary SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electro-chemical Material) plated cylinders, a race-proven nickel-phosphorus-silicon-carbide coating for reduced weight and, reportedly, improved heat transfer, allowing for tighter and more efficient piston-to-cylinder clearance). I don't know anything about materials and/or heat transfer power ratios but that sounds impressive! The new models also have a redesigned body style that's actually attractive as opposed to the bulbous/fugly (IMHO) older VStroms (.5 gallon less fuel but still 5.3 gallons or ~250+ miles). Surprisingly (to me), the new VStroms also feature an agile/narrow and dare I say "sporty" chassis, fuel injection, ABS (that is reportedly NOT scary off road - we'll see - already began researching an ABS disabling mod since there is no factory "ABS off button" as a std feature.....or I may just live with the ABS full time since my off-road plans with this bike are lollipop in nature), decreased curb weight (~470lbs), increased suspension travel from previous years (but still not really off-road worthy suspension for anything other than groomed fire roads), and roomy/upright ergonomics. Bottom line, the new VStroms offer the look/comfort/versatility that I want in a middleweight/street biased "Traveler". The little Wee-Strom appears to be well suited as an enjoyable/penny pinching daily commuter and/or a "Traveler" to take me to the wilds of Alaska or (?) with luggage and/or a passenger. I say "Traveler" as opposed to ADV because it's NOT a true Adventure bike in my eyes given its limited suspension/cast wheels but I'm ok with its 90% street and 10% "light" off-road "Traveler" mission statement. I'm not looking for anything more rugged than that out of my daily commuter/sport "Traveler". I already have dual sported KTMs for the more aggressive dualsport/ADV treks I enjoy. The so called "Adventure" version of the VStrom was ~$1.5K more OTD and I couldn't justify the expense for factory hardbags/extended windshield/engine guards. I'd rather farkle my "Traveler" as "I" deem fit (The factory ADV version/pkg didn't even include a skid plate which should be the first order of business if you want to take this bike off the pavement.....what are they thinking?!?!). Picking the bike up next week. My first planned moves - Black powder coated skid plate to cover the exposed "hit me" oil filter/pipe, black engine case guards, black center stand, black handguards wrapped around the stock handlebar fitted with heated grip elements, 12V power to the dash for GPS/Radio/Cell/etc., and perhaps a Seat Concepts replacement seat cover. I may add a rear/locking top case for commuting to work so I have lockable storage for helmet/etc. when off the bike around town.....I have soft Giant Loop/Wolfman luggage that'll probably suffice for the bulk of my "Traveler" missions. The tires will eventually be replaced with a less street biased design.