Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

SDAR & the Tread Lightly Philosophy of Riding

SAN DIEGO ADVENTURE RIDERS supports the TREAD LIGHTLY philosophy of Responsible Recreation.

Remember, we are STEWARDS of promoting a positive image when we're out there on public lands....

The Pledge........

Tread Lightly! On Land

Travel responsibly on designated roads and trails or in permitted areas.

Respect the rights of others including private property owners and all recreational trail users, campers and others to allow them to enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed.

Educate yourself by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies, planning for your trip, taking recreation skills classes, and knowing how to use and operate your equipment safely.

Avoid sensitive areas such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams, unless on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitat and sensitive soils from damage.

Do your part by leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species, restoring degraded areas, and joining a local enthusiast organization.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discover the rewards of responsible recreation

· Trail riding provides the opportunity to get away from it all and builds family traditions.

* Remember-if you abuse it, you’ll probably lose it !! Careless operation of your motorcycle can cause damage and may result in closing of areas to trail riding enthusiasts.

* Respect the environment and other trail users. By using common sense and common courtesy, what is available today will be here to enjoy tomorrow.

Responsible Trail Riding

*Travel & recreate with minimum impact.

*Respect the environment and the rights of others.

*Allow for future use of the outdoors, by leaving it better than you found it.

Negotiating terrain

· On slick trails, moderate the throttle and use the clutch to gain maximum traction with minimum tailspin.

· On switchbacks, avoid roosting around the apex of the turn when climbing or brake –sliding while heading down which gouges the trail.

· When negotiating ruts, stay loose over the bike to allow for sudden direction changes.

· Ride loose rocks with your rear end slightly off the seat, looking ahead, easy on the throttle and in one-higher gear than you would normally use.

· Cross streams slowly, at a 90-degree angle to the stream. Walking may be preferable as stream bottoms are often slippery.

Rules and common courtesy

· Be considerate of others on the road or trail.

· Ride only where permitted.

· Leave gates as you find them.

· Yield the right of way to those passing or traveling uphill.

· Keep the noise and dust down. Others will appreciate it.

· Pack out what you pack in.

Educate yourself, plan and prepare before you go

· Obtain a map of the area you wish to explore and determine which areas are open for use.

· Contact the land manager for area restrictions and if crossing private property, be sure to ask permission from the landowners.

· Check the weather forecast.

· Prepare for the unexpected by packing a small pack full of emergency items, spare tubes and TOOLS.

Safety on the road or trail

· Wear a helmet, eye protection and other safety gear.

· Buddy up with two or three riders as riding solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown.

Trail riding and the environment

· Stay on designated roads and trails or other areas open for use.

· Avoid “spooking” livestock you encounter.

· Cross streams at fording points only.

· Remember, designated wilderness areas are reserved for the most primitive outdoor adventure.

Minimum impact camping

· Select lightweight equipment, possibly in earth-tone colors that will blend with the surroundings.

· Use existing campsites whenever possible.

· Avoid building fires.

The Tread Lightly! Guide LINK HERE to Responsible Trail Riding contains more detailed and informative information when riding into the great outdoors.

Gentle reminder:

Us cigarette smokers need to be packing our butts out. It really bothers me to be out in the middle of nowhere and see a cig filter in the dirt. hmmph.gif

Everyone hates us enough as it is.

Gentle reminder:

Us cigarette smokers need to be packing our butts out. It really bothers me to be out in the middle of nowhere and see a cig filter in the dirt.

I sometimes smoke, and NEVER throw my butts anywhere but in the trash. If I'm out riding, I put the remainder of my cig in my fanny pack or my pocket.

Well, that makes 2 of us.

Gentle reminder:

Us cigarette smokers need to be packing our butts out. It really bothers me to be out in the middle of nowhere and see a cig filter in the dirt.

I sometimes smoke, and NEVER throw my butts anywhere but in the trash. If I'm out riding, I put the remainder of my cig in my fanny pack or my pocket.

Not only great reminders for motorbikers, great for mountain bikers and dog people. Most parks do not allow dogs on trails at all. Sequioas, Yosimite the list goes on. dog owners can only blame themselves. I live next to a great trail area for running, mountian biking, hiking and walking dogs. It is always littered with dog crap. When I run or ride my mountain bike there, I have to avoid crap on the main trails. Luckily the people to lazy to pick up there crap, do not wander on the single track, or really steep climbs. I love my dogs but extremely limited where I can take them, thanks to the ones who went before.

As riders, we can be our own worst enemy. This tread lightly, leave it as you found it goes with everything we do, wether riding motorcycles, bikes, trucks, hiking/running or walking our dogs. I personally avoid almost all areas holiday weekends. One reason is too crowded, the other is to many jerks with a complete disregard for everyone and everything.