KTMrad

Converting a .kml.kmz file to Mapsource ?

I got some tracks from Pasta, they're supposedly Google Earth files. As I suspected, my Mapsource program won't open them.

They say .kml.kmz

I've never seen a GPS file like that.

any suggestions ?

This is a great site for GPS file work. I've used it several times to view tracks downloaded or sent to me. It is also a good site to convert between different formats as Roger has noted. I didn't realize others were using it. ph34r.gif Cool

For what it is worth...

I wrote a little program that does the work you. There are some "glitches" I have not worked out such as each point on a track becoming a waypoint (I just delete them). I take my toughbook on big bike rides and with access not always available it comes in handy if somebody has an older or Magellan GPS.

If you want it just send me a PM with your email address.

GPS Babel will do a lot of other conversions as well, just tougher to use at home.

GPS Visualization is a great online utility!!

... however, with several files... it takes a little while. And the output, is again... "several" files. Where you'd need to open each one, and cut/paste it into a new Mapsource. Eventually saving the one file with all the data.

I use a paid program called "Google Earth KMZ /KML to GPX converter"

... it allows me to open each GE file, and remove the track. Doing this for each GE file, and then saving it as GPX as ONE file with all separate tracks/waypoints. Completes the task in as much time as it takes me to open each GE file, and hit "save". Very nice... and well worth the money paid.

I also have the version which backward converts (GPX to GE) from the same company.

If your interested;

(a demo "how to")

http://www.mcrenox.com.ar/ge2gpx/ (where to obtain)

http://www.mcrenox.com.ar/gps/ (lots of great tools)

Johnny, many thanks for converting those files for me and putting it into one file with all the tracks.