TrophyHunter

It's baaaaaaaaaaack....!

I'll let Paul explain, but I missed the ride today for a reason......and it paid off.

I'm just too damn happy not to share it. Congrats Paul....!!!!!:party:

I am going to have to guess that the KTM turned up....and I want a full report on it, Mister. :coolio:

It's back!

I've been checking Craigslist every few hours since the bike was stolen, without great hope, but doing due diligence.

Remember the sprocket was broken and the bike has a desert tank? This morning, to once again prove criminals are stupid, the following ad appeared at 12:25 am:

craigslistKTM.jpg

Now, I may not have the highest state of tune a motor has seen, but I can put 2 and 2 together and make 3.

Not wanting to use my own number in case the suspect (hereafter referred to as S1 because i now know the lingo) was able to discover it through the registration papers on the bike, I call my buddy Ken, (at about 5am) an investigator of some official stature.

Ken texted S1 asking for a pic of the tank, and received a stock shot of a similar tank, "like this but white". Ken arranged for a later meeting with S1.

In the meantime, Ken made a few calls and secured the attention of the San Diego Police Department's auto theft guys. This is a great team of folks who set up a sting at the house of S1. Several big guys, very professional, with weapons.

We met at the police station close the S1's residence and I gave each of them a set of photographs and very specific information about the bike. They were already staking out the residence when I arrived at the station.

The officers were able to make contact with S1 and (based on details I had provided) asked for the special custom brackets I'd made for the bike. At that point the officers saw the bike, and the arrest was made.

The bike has the rear wheel, tank, seat, stabilizer, rear taillight assembly (with license plate!) and various other parts removed, but only the stabilizer was missing. The other parts were sitting in a box.

They let me go home, get my truck and pack it up to avoid impounds fees, etc.

Bike appears to be fine, and I appreciate all the outreach and help provided by the motocommunity and especially Trophyhunter (Ken) for setting up the process. Without him, I'd still be assembling the insurance claim.

I can't give more details than that due to legal process issues, but it was a LOT OF FUN, and I'm happy to have my errant bike home, and one dirtbag in the control of the police.

Congratulations! :party: I have been looking on CL everyday since it disappeared a couple of times a day. Didn't look today, however. Not so sure I would have caught it. Now you can be back in the saddle again. ;)

Great to hear this Paul. I hope at some time we can get a mug shot and name of the perp posted for all to see.

Chris

I wouldn't mind posting the perp's name, photo, and # on every Moto board I'm on.

Excellent work Ken and Paul ;)

Obviously, I can't do that- I was fortunate enough to be involved int he investigation and arrest at an arms length, and want to be absolutely sure not to abuse that privilege and the good nature of my hosts.

Remember that a person selling stolen parts may not be the person who stole stolen parts, but may have received them in a different transaction.

In the back of my mind I thought it might turn out this way. SDAR members really have it together. Awesome

Well I would never suggest that people on SDAR look at the Craigslist add for the phone number and call it and laugh their a-- off at someone and then tell them what the motorcycle community thinks of him.

Covered in Dust

Well I would never suggest that people on SDAR look at the Craigslist add for the phone number and call it and laugh their a-- off at someone and then tell them what the motorcycle community thinks of him.

Covered in Dust

He's probably not home and kinda busy right now. :dead:

Awesome!!!! I was checking Ebay, since that is my area of expertise. Think he would have givin it a few weeks to cool off before trying to publicly sell it. Makes me want to but lo-jack on my bike

Jolly good show, Congrads! KLXBen and I were discussing how to find parts off that bike, I kinda wanted that headlight, it made me think about marking parts, sort of like I mark some tools, you never know. Damn thats awesome you got it back in fairly good shape!

Paul, this great news made my weekend. congrats. It would seem that your custom brackets helped in getting him his custom bracelets. It is good to see that sometimes the bad guys do finish last. Ken

Wow! Too cool you got your bike back.

That is true Paul, the guy who was looking for parts may have bought it from the thief. If so I'd imagine the thief will be going down soon as the parts guy likely won't be interested in doing time for said thief.

Now that I've settled in after a long day, attending a wedding & now back home.....Man, what a satisfying day! Paul was sitting with me near the address where the undercover purchase of the tank was to be made. We were listening intently to the radio for any updates.

"you can come on over, we got the bike"

I have to say, I was shocked.....and f'n happier than (enter something here). The team assembled, on their day off, on a holiday weekend (MLK on Monday) and worked this quickly. 8 guys just doin' the right thing and it couldn't have turned out any better. Paul gave 'em some very specific information about the bike during the briefing which helped immensley in the overall operation.

I know many of us were checking several times a day on different sites (CL, ebay, etc) and it's good Paul was vigilent.

Good times.............