Beezzz

Which GPS Rescue Device to buy?

Spot 2

My wife loves the "O.K." messages to her cell phone and email and the bread crumb trail to live the ride vicariously from home. If you are unconscious, the bread crumb trail will lead the rescue to your current location.

Spot 2

My wife loves the "O.K." messages to her cell phone and email and the bread crumb trail to live the ride vicariously from home. If you are unconscious, the bread crumb trail will lead the rescue to your current location.

The good and bad about tracking, and 'okay' messages.

The good is all that you mention and then some.

The bad (IMHO) is that if your loved one is watching the SPOT web page and you ultimately... they'll expect you to keep moving, or send okay messages. Once you stop moving and/or stop sending periodic okay messages (if you do so during the ride, and often) the "watcher" can become frantic and think somethings happened. I've seen the latter, and it wasn't too pretty when the Local Authorities showed up... saying; "Your wife thinks your dead in a gutter somewhere, but of course we see your okay" as the SPOT user drinks the last beer at the local ride watering hole. blush.gif

... I guess it all depends on the rapport you have with said person watching you via SPOT, and that it's critical you ride with a buddy who also knows how to use a SPOT and can push the appropriate buttons if the need arises.

I have my SPOT 2 running whether riding street or off-road.

For me and my SO it's a matter of setting expectations. I told her that when I ride that we may stop for an hour ( like lunch) or a few hours if someone has a flat,etc. In other words, don't worry if we don't move for an hour or two. She also asks when she should expect me home... and I'm punctual. If I'm not home by the time I said I would be, she can look on the SPOT page to see where I am and if I'm moving. If I am, she knows everything is OK. I also programmed the custom message button to send,"I'm on my way home" which I hit when we get back to pavement or we're done for the day and I'm heading for the house. The message goes to her email and cell phone which she has on if she's out in the car.

We also have a "No news is good news" mindset: If she doesn't get a "911" or "Need Help", everything is fine. I also told her that if I am riding with others, just because I send a 911 message it doesn't necesarilly mean I'm in trouble. One of the other guys may gotten into a bad situation or we've witnessed an accident and someone else needs an EMT, in which case I'll call her and tell her I'm OK and someone else needs the help.