Beezzz

Which GPS Rescue Device to buy?

Spot 1, Spot 2, ?

Simple and basic is the target.

Linked to what forum or rescue platform?

Family links?

How is the Garmin 60CSx used as a rescue machine?

If you can call for help via cell or radio, it's helpful to be able to supply coordinates.

Spot 1, Spot 2, ?

Simple and basic is the target.

Linked to what forum or rescue platform?

Family links?

Jump right to a "best" alternative...

DeLorme PN-60W GPS with SPOT

... I did, and I've owned both the SPOT1 and SPOT2

However, now I have the ability to send a more or less descriptive "help" message and can select to "whom" it's sent... rather than just send a basic canned message to a large group. Also, you can see your "tracks" on the GPS that are being uploaded to the web (findmespot page).

REI had them on sale... $349!!

For me, Spot II. Seems to have better signal strength, or at least a better antenna, than Spot I. Plus, I like to have the "custom" button, as I basically have four messages:

- OK

- Bike is broke and I can't walk out

- I'm broke and can't walk out, but don't need a helo

- My life is in the balance, get me out of here by any means

If I had the patience/skill to master the Delorme software, I would buy the PN-60 in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I won't have any heartbeats left as long as it will take to learn it. :angry2:

I bought the SPOT II AKA SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger . Since the Globalstar satellites are always moving there's no guarantee that there's LOS to one when the SPOT units transmits your position. The SPOT II will save up to three positions reports while trying to contact a satellite. Once it does, it sends the three positiuon reports allowing reconstruction of your track. SPOT I does not do this. If it can't find a satellite when it tries to transmit, there's no report of your location. SPOT (which is now owned by Globalstar) calculates there's a 99% chance of contacting a satellite in three attempts (spaced 10 minutes apart).

SPOT allows you to define who the messages ("OK","need help", "911" and a custom message you define) are sent to. Mine go to a couple of cell phones and email addresses. You can also create private or public tracking webpages. For public pages, just post the URL to whoever/whatever forum you want use.

http://www.findmespot.com/

Beez you can't change a tire, how are you gonna figure out spot and gps??????? :lol:

Beez you can't change a tire, how are you gonna figure out spot and gps??????? :lol:

OUCH! you guys are brutal...I have a spot 2, got from socalhodaka (now a dealer btw).....bought tracking as well as helo (eos) insurance for $13/year....

can't say I've mastered it, actually just figured out I need to not only turn the "on" button on , but also physically turn on the "track" button as well, in order for someone to track me..... :blush: ..I have hardly turned it on since I got it in July, usually ride with someone else with one.....but good to have....

Family Rescue insurance is only $13/year per person but YOU MUST BUY IT WHEN YOU ACTIVATE......tracking is about $100/year......

tomorrow morning, we are heading down the snowy highways to get out of tahoe so happy to have it, and now have tracking working...Just in case....(highway 50 to highway 5)

LOVE my 60csx also....

Ha. Ha.

No argument there!

Maybe I could start by studing the Mayans and the solar system. I could push around a few big rocks. Create a sun dial. Maybe practice making fire with some sticks. Smoke signals. Here's the answer, I should bring Strega with me. I saw his math translations of lat/lon to degrees. Yikes!!! There was never a more appropriate phase than "always ride with a buddy".

If you want simple, straight forward, and still a few bells..... SPOT2, hands down.

The full package with tracking is $150

GEOS Insurance is additional $13ish.

... there's deals RIGHT now, that get you $50 off the tracking price.

A couple posts already on here about "pricing" coupons.

... I too use a 60CSx. The DeLorme, is my backup and is great to allow me to send custom text messages via my SPOT.

I have re-state my opinion. If you want the absolute best rescue device, I would go with a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) that operates on the 406 MHz SARSAT system and on 121.5 MHz. This is the true Search and Rescue system that the world uses, no matter on land or sea. It is monitored by government SAR units and doesn't rely on a private organization to forward. It sends your position, but isn't designed to track you in a non-emergency like a Spot. It only does its thing when activated.

These are the things that small airplanes and people out at sea carry. They cost $300-1000.

Side story. When I was a Communications Officer on a Navy cruiser many moons ago, I was standing watch on the bridge one night and the Captain was up there hanging out. We were operating off the coast of SoCal for local training and they guys down below called up and said some helos were headed our way. About five minutes later two USCG helos show up with flood lights blasting all over our ship looking for a airplane crash. Turns out one of the transmitters in Radio had locked up and was transmitting on 243.0 MHz (Military Air Distress), so the Coasties thought a military aircraft was down. The signal was picked up by the SARSAT system and relayed to San Diego, thus causing a launch. Needless to say, I had nowhere to run and hide from the CO on that one, since I was on watch....

For me, Spot II. Seems to have better signal strength, or at least a better antenna, than Spot I. Plus, I like to have the "custom" button, as I basically have four messages:

- OK

- Bike is broke and I can't walk out

- I'm broke and can't walk out, but don't need a helo

- My life is in the balance, get me out of here by any means

If I had the patience/skill to master the Delorme software, I would buy the PN-60 in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I won't have any heartbeats left as long as it will take to learn it. :angry2:

I have re-state my opinion. If you want the absolute best rescue device, I would go with a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) that operates on the 406 MHz SARSAT system and on 121.5 MHz. This is the true Search and Rescue system that the world uses, no matter on land or sea. It is monitored by government SAR units and doesn't rely on a private organization to forward. It sends your position, but isn't designed to track you in a non-emergency like a Spot. It only does its thing when activated.

These are the things that small airplanes and people out at sea carry. They cost $300-1000.

In THIS case... I don't think a PLB is the way to go.

... PLBs are designed for search and rescue ONLY. Not to inform family at home where you are nor can they 'track' your progress... or that your "just checking in". Being they only have ONE mode (on) when put in use, and one function... this "need" of Beezer is not of a PLB (in my opinion). I do agree, that they are the more common SAR device used in the world today, and are something to use if your not with a riding buddy and can push the button when your down. But they too, rely on a button push.... and they too are with their limitations.

Like I said;

My first pick is now my DeLorme PN-60W W/SPOT

(this is most beneficial for the person without a GPS, and who needs a SPOT. And as I mentioned before... the other nice perks)

My Second pick is a SPOT2

(small, more flexibility in sendable messages (than SPOT1) and easy to use)

I've had MANY emails with the president of GEOS Alliance (SPOTs SAR Service) in regards to processes and procedures, as well as who is staffed at the GEOS Facility. VERY impressed with them and what they offer for such a little yearly fee. If you care to read up on some of my discussions or topics with him... visit these links;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712515

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902252

And a "Baja" experience;

http://www.race-deze...e-rescue-in-Mex

... enjoy

Johnny,

Agree 100% with what you said. If you notice, I said the same thing essentially. "absolute best RESCUE device", "isn't designed to track you", "only does its thing when activated", etc. I just wanted to have a complete and full discussion on the subject of getting help when you are hurt.

Very good read on the threads you posted. I think the reason GEOS never gave you a really solid answer is that even in Baja, it is up to the local authorities to get you out. There is no "Spot Rescue Team" if you will.

Everyone,

I think far too many people look at Spot as a rescue device, and it has some serious limitations, most importantly, who is rescuing you. Rescues are done locally. Spot/GEOS call the local SAR authority, which my be your local sheriff deputy. People think when you hit the 911/SOS button, the calvary will come. If you look at ADV you will find many instances of people not understanding the full roles and responsibilities of SPOT and GEOS, and essentially blaming them for taking too long to complete the rescue. Hell, there have even be stories of the local rescue people not even having GPS, or not being able to read the lat/long that Spot/GEOS gives them. Spot/GEOS give a dd.decimal format that many Joe Billy Bob's can't convert to dd.mm.ss.

I am a very firm believer in Spot/GEOS. In almost every story you read on ADV, I believe they have done their job and fulfilled their responsibilities. It is the local agency that has screwed up the rescue. It usually turns out that the owner of the Spot device has chosen to say that Spot sucks when in fact it is a local authority that has screwed it up.

Hence, I still stand by my statement that if you really want to be rescued, the absolute best thing you can do is get a PLB. They are not any bigger than your standard GPS and don't cost that much more. That being said, I use Spot. Just know what your/the units limitations are and you won't be disappointed.

Jim

In THIS case... I don't think a PLB is the way to go.

... PLBs are designed for search and rescue ONLY. Not to inform family at home where you are nor can they 'track' your progress... or that your "just checking in". Being they only have ONE mode (on) when put in use, and one function... this "need" of Beezer is not of a PLB (in my opinion). I do agree, that they are the more common SAR device used in the world today, and are something to use if your not with a riding buddy and can push the button when your down. But they too, rely on a button push.... and they too are with their limitations.

Like I said;

My first pick is now my DeLorme PN-60W W/SPOT

(this is most beneficial for the person without a GPS, and who needs a SPOT. And as I mentioned before... the other nice perks)

My Second pick is a SPOT2

(small, more flexibility in sendable messages (than SPOT1) and easy to use)

I've had MANY emails with the president of GEOS Alliance (SPOTs SAR Service) in regards to processes and procedures, as well as who is staffed at the GEOS Facility. VERY impressed with them and what they offer for such a little yearly fee. If you care to read up on some of my discussions or topics with him... visit these links;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712515

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902252

And a "Baja" experience;

http://www.race-deze...e-rescue-in-Mex

... enjoy

I like the idea of something that you can actually talk to people on, like a satphone.

I like the idea of something that you can actually talk to people on, like a satphone.

... if your knocked out, even a SAT phone won't help ya. wacko.gif

I used to carry ALL of the above mentioned;

Which was; a SPOT, Cell Phone, and an Iridium SAT phone.

If your relying on a SAT, you have to have your dialing down pat. Know how to dial a US number, and have a list of those numbers on you... or pre-programmed into the phone. You also need to make sure the batteries good... or you'll need to leave it off until needed to dial out. Sat phones are a bit larger than most "locater" devices, and require more room to store. If you crash hard, and land on your SAT... it's a chance it'll be a goner (adding to their crush factor, I don't believe any of them are water proof).

Let alone, you need to have your buddy know all about dialing out on a SAT too... because if your lying there, bleeding out and unconscious... and he doesn't know how to turn it on, wait for signal, and dial out... your better off without one, and carrying something simple (like a SPOT).

Now, think about if your in HEAVY cloud cover, rain, and maybe under heavy foliage (forest).... Your again, SOL with a SAT device of any sort... even SPOT will have trouble getting messages out (if at all), being they are on the Globalstar SATellites... Which are less in the sky then Iridium. Still, a SPOT is sending out a txt message... not a voice call. So similar to a cell phone... where an SMS message is able to be sent, or waits in the wind until service is reached. Unlike a voice call. Much more robust.

... the best CURE for all of this, is to ride with a buddy... and that buddy knows how to use all the electronics you do, as well... knows what to do in a crisis situation. All the time I see someone in a panic, when truly it's NOT time to panic. People ALL react different when there's blood involved, unconscious people, or a situation that their brain can't comprehend... or doesn't have an answer to. Very interesting when on the trail. (and boy, have I seen some interesting things!)

I choose to use SPOT, and rely on the people at home... who know what I mean, when I press help. And have access to the web, phones, and can relay my info to the authorities in route. I always ride (long distances) with a base camp (camp, home camp, or family on a PC) knowing my routine and what to expect. They know me best, and what warrants a "help" and or worst case a "911" push. Now with my new DeLorme/SPOT... they'll know MORE of the story, than simply a 'canned' message they have to decipher or use assumptions.

And as mentioned over and over again. Be sure to NEVER rely on ANY button on any device. Once pushed, continue to try and obtain help, a secure location, and/or medical if needed.

Johnny,

Agree 100% with what you said. If you notice, I said the same thing essentially.

... 10-4 on that. I put in my "simple" format. ;)

JohnnyAirtime it sounds like you have done LOTS of research on this topic. Just curious if you are a REACH for life member? My wife and I got a 1 year family membership for 25$ since it was so cheap. We ride in IV a lot and do the d38 races so figured it was a good deal. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the great imput. I think I will start with the Spot 2. What do people think about the 60csx upgrade to 62___.

JohnnyAirtime it sounds like you have done LOTS of research on this topic. Just curious if you are a REACH for life member? My wife and I got a 1 year family membership for 25$ since it was so cheap. We ride in IV a lot and do the d38 races so figured it was a good deal. Any thoughts?

Yes sir... I have. Most of my research has been because of my buddy and past race partner (Steve Martz) being shot in Mexico (he survived, thank goodness).

And yes, I'm a Reach-for-Life member.

... I have several air-rescue memberships and insurance coverages. I need to make sure I'm covered, in all aspects and as much as possible these days. blush.gif

Thanks for all the great imput. I think I will start with the Spot 2. What do people think about the 60csx upgrade to 62___.

Don't even bother with the 62... all you get over the 60 series is "birds eye" view with satellite images, and it's SUPER expensive in comparison to the 199 deals on the 60CSx. My dad opted for the 62... and I had to go figure it out for him. I was NOT impressed. The DeLorme PN-60 gives you satellite imagery for a mere $30/year! And it's better resolution than the Garmin (IMHO).

"REACH FOR LIFE" air rescue. Can you put that number on your Spot 2? The 911 dispatcher's are going to call their people.

"REACH FOR LIFE" air rescue. Can you put that number on your Spot 2? The 911 dispatcher's are going to call their people.

My 911 SPOT information is very detailed on my profile.... but, you can add specific phone numbers as "emergency contacts".

... instead of adding RFL's phone number, you'd want to NOTE that your a "member" of RFL in your 911 profile. And retain your Emerg.Contacts as immediate family that know you, and your medical needs (if any). Best to have GEOS 911 operators be able to talk to someone who knows you, rather than a SAR Facility who's never met you.

As an example; (my 911 profile text info - along with 2 Emerg contacts listed on the profile page)

ALERTING PERSON DESCRIPTION; White Male, 6ft 2in, 200lbs, blonde short hair, blue eyes. Not allergic to any medication(s), possibly involved on a dirt bike with a group (as this is the main use of SPOT services). If cell service 858.442.83XX or emerg. contacts of FATHER at 619.884.81XX (mobile) or fiance' Stacey at 619.985.74XX (mobile). NOTE: SPOT User is a member of "Reach-For-Life" evac services and "GEOS Alliance".

Johnny,

Great info. I too have a detailed info in my Spot. I added my lack of allergies based upon seeing your profile.

White male, 6ft 220lbs, brown hair. No allergies. US Navy service member. My military ID is my insurance card. My Navy command can be reached at 760-390-XXXX. My wife is Shannon XXXXXXXX. 3336 XXXX Ave, El Centro, CA Cell:703-229-XXXX Home:760-460-XXXX. My wife's email address is: xxxxx.XXXXXX@mac.com Additionally, please contact Mr. XXXXXXXX at 858-XXX-XXXX or email: XXXXXX@gmail.com

excl.gifSTOP.... WAIT.... HOLD your Horses....excl.gif

Do you own a smart phone???

Check this out;

http://www.engadget....-to-your-bluet/

Spot Connect brings GPS tracking and communication to your Bluetooth phone

By Darren Murph writer_rss.gif posted Jan 4th 2011 12:00AM

spot-connect-gps-ces-2011.jpg

Like it or not, we're stuck in a world fascinated with convergence, and while Spot's Satellite GPS Messenger did its job well, it still required users to tote around a dedicated, non-integrated, standalone device. Unfortunately, we're still no closer to seeing a mainstream smartphone with a legitimate GPS module within, but Spot's edging ever closer with the Spot Connect. This GPS puck is equipped with a Bluetooth transceiver, enabling it to "sync with smartphone operating systems like Android" when you're too deep in the brush to nab a cellular signal. From there, it'll allow your smartphone to determine location via the Globalstar satellite network, and even transmit that information to personal contacts or an international emergency response center. Users can send location-based texts or emails via satellite, update social networks from remote locations, track progress on Google Maps / My Tracks and store up to ten predefined messages for quick referencing and sending. Just imagine the Foursquare check-ins you could manage with this bad boy! The puck itself is waterproof to an IPX7 standard and weighs just 3.7 ounces, and we're told that more mobile operating systems will be supported "later this year." The Connect will go on sale this month for $169.99, though the services described above will run argonauts $99.99 per year. Full release is after the break.

SPOT Unveils Revolutionary New SPOT Connect for Smartphones

SPOT Connectâ„¢ turns leading smartphones into a personal one-way satellite communicator capable of sending messages with GPS position to personal contacts, social networks or to summon help in emergencies from remote areas beyond cellular coverage

Las Vegas, NV – (Date to release: January 4, 2011) Spot LLC continues to pioneer innovation in satellite communications, bringing global messaging technology into the hands of millions worldwide. A wholly owned subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: GSAT), Spot LLC today announced SPOT Connect, a new SPOT satellite communicator capable of sending messages over the Globalstar satellite network from smartphone operating systems. Winner of this year's CES Innovations Award in Design and Engineering in the Personal Electronics category, SPOT Connect will showcase this week at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Today's smartphones provide mobile social connection. But when users go off-grid, their smartphone needs help. SPOT Connect provides connectivity to global communication satellites for sending location-based messages from around town or areas outside of cellular phone coverage. By simply downloading the SPOT Connect app, SPOT Connect wirelessly synchs via Bluetooth with smartphone operating systems like Android. SPOT message features are then initiated using the SPOT Connect app on the smart device.

"For the first time ever, urban professionals, outdoor enthusiasts and world travelers can utilize cost-efficient, personal satellite communications directly from their smartphone." said Peter Dalton, President of Spot LLC and CEO of Globalstar, Inc. "When paired with SPOT Connect your everyday smartphone overcomes traditional limitations associated with cellular coverage, keeping you better connected to your personal contacts and social groups like Facebook and Twitter when you want to be."

Additional Benefits and features:

• Uses the GPS satellite system to determine location and the Globalstar satellite network to transmit that information to personal contacts or an international emergency response center

• Send location-based messages via satellite to others delivered as SMS text or email

• Send custom "Type and Send" 41 character text messages from your location

• Update social networks including Facebook, Twitter and SPOT Adventures from remote locations

• Provide GPS functionality to non-GPS devices

• Utilize proven SPOT messaging features - Send custom or predefined messages, Track Progress on Google Maps™, or transmit an SOS message in an emergency

• Store up to 10 predefined messages for quick reference and sending

• Create and save contact groups to receive your SPOT Connect message. Each contact group can contain multiple contacts consisting of cell phone numbers and or email addresses

• On device SOS button for standalone emergency operation

• Web & Mobile account management

• Bluetooth wireless connection

• Waterproof to IPX7 standard

• Lightweight at 3.7 ounces, SPOT Connect is portable and can be used handheld or attached to a pack or RAM mounting system

The SPOT Connect app can be downloaded anytime and works when SPOT Connect is registered with SPOT Basic Service and paired with the smart device. SPOT Connect is compatible with some of today's leading smartphone operating systems such as Android . Additional smartphone compatibility is scheduled for release later this year.

Spot LLC is showcasing SPOT Connect and its entire line of award-winning satellite GPS tracking and messaging products at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Trade Show at SPOT booth number 35647 located in the IT Wireless Zone, South Hall 4.

Pricing and Product Availability Information:

SPOT Connect retails $169.99 MSRP plus a required annual subscription service starting at $99.99 per year and is scheduled to begin shipping this January to retail locations and online sites specializing in GPS, outdoor recreation and personal electronics. For more information on SPOT Connect and other SPOT products and location-based satellite service offerings like SPOT Assist Roadside and BoatUS Towing Services, visit www.findmespot.com

Coverage:

SPOT satellite coverage works around the world, including all of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe and Australia Northern and Central Africa, portions of South America and North-Eastern Asia and hundreds or thousands of miles offshore of these areas.

About Spot LLC

Spot LLC, a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: GSAT), provides emergency notification technology that allows users to communicate from remote locations around the globe. The SPOT product family uses both the GPS satellite network to determine a customer's location and the Globalstar network to transmit messages and GPS coordinates to others including an international rescue coordination center. Thanks to this affordable, cutting edge personal safety device, the company offers people peace of mind by allowing customers to notify friends and family of their location and status, and to send for emergency assistance in time of need, completely independent of cellular phone or wireless coverage. For more information on how Spot LLC is helping others stay connected - from disaster preparedness to outdoor adventure – visit www.findmeSPOT.com.

.... You know since I own the DeLorme SPOT device... I'll be checking this out tomorrow with SPOT, as I also own a Droid!! Some say it couldn't be done (check my TT postings), and now... SPOT is doing it!!! ...if I have to, I'll be returning my DeLorme w/Spot as soon as I get clearance from SPOT themselves that this is fully functional on the DROID as it is with DeLorme.

I'm pumped!!! Stay tuned!!!

This is a good thread. Thanks for all the info y'all. I am getting a spot for my bday present this year. Is the spot2 still the way to go? I do have a droid g1, but I don't like the idea of having devices that need to link up and work together. My phone is for calls and text, and turned off usually when I'm riding. That's why a dedicated tracker and emergency device is key I think.