Brett

Local shop experiences

Stopped going to House of Motorcycles when they told me they wouldn't service my 1996 Shadow because it was more than 10 years old.

I guess after taking a bike to them for 10 years they don't want my business anymore...

So they wont get it.

I think that after ten years the OEM supplier (in this case Honda) stops making parts for the machine, so the dealer can't order parts, and I guess they don't want to order aftermarket parts, so there is your logic, whether it is good or bad. But you probably found somebody else that values your business and doesn't mind getting aftermarket or salvage parts for your bike.

That's not why... they told me it's because so many things can go wrong with an older bike, and they don't want the liability of "I just got new tires on my bike at House of Motorcycles, and the chain broke..."

doesn't make any sense to me... I'll say it again... go to their shop; there is NO shortage of repairs; they get to pick and choose... for now :)

Just went in to the Cycle gear in El Cajon and they've converted it to a clearence store. They don't have any liquids. They do have some deals on gear but I usually went in for a filter, engine ice, or oil, no such luck now. Guess it's veys or motorworld for something close. :ph34r:

I went in to the EC store, did not like it. Needed a helmet, nothing that was normaly there. Like Tree said, oil & filters all gone. Pissed me off. :angry:

ECC- was in there 20 minutes not one "hey how are you doing? anything you were looking for?" :huh:

which was odd to me, being that i bought a bike recently, and was bombarded by sales people,

maybe i just lost the look of someone who is "wanting"??? :lol:

instead, went to CycleGear right up the street....helped more, but not "bothered", which i appreciate.

could have been timing, later in their day, 1/2 hour to close....but i felt kinda like i wasn't supposed to come in that late?...

so far i have been more put off by shops than i have enjoyed....why is that? :D

i mean i understand the game, worked retail, been customer....

but it seems like the whole "cool guy" thing isn't only at surfshops....bike shops too....

blind, done venting. :lol:

I went in to the EC store, did not like it. Needed a helmet, nothing that was normaly there. Like Tree said, oil & filters all gone. Pissed me off. :huh:

I went in there right after it converted to a clearance outlet... I got a couple of tees and a couple of jerseys... for under $25... longsleeve jerseys for $5 each (OH, but they were the 08 design... I feel SO passe)

Didn't find any gloves that I liked (trying to find a comfy glove, with hard knuckles) but...

it is definitely worth it to stop in...

They also don't carry tires "all the time", but they will get close-outs. I'm on a mailing list to let me know when they have the close-out sales (haven't got notice yet :D )

I've had good luck at All American KTM in Ramona . They keep a good stock of parts on hand so I don't have to make 2 trips. RJ knows his stuff and has helped me ham fist my way thru repairs.

I have to praise "All American KTM" I took my new 690 Enduro in several times to Motoworld and was chanrged money to be told "Could not make it happen". I had a error code on the FI.

I went to see RJ and in about 15 mins. they had the factory on the phone and fixed. It was a simple adjustment, but it required lots of part to be removed.

For reasons I'll not get into, I was at FBC today looking for some gloves for this weekend. After walking away from the glove rack empty handed I wandered through the showroom and came across two Honda XR650Rs. Still a good looking bike even if it has been out of production for two model years. Curious I wondered what they'd be asking for such an old bike. I was blown away at the FBC pricetag. They are listing original MSRP, $6399 plus almost $800 in dealer prep fees :ph34r:

I left.

I contacted San Diego Sportcycle and C & D. Both nice to deal with but went with C & D because they do all the work in house and SDS outsources valve work, etc. Their "guy" wouldn't be able to get my bike done as he was backed up.

I opted for more than I originally wanted done (an affliction we all probably have) so we'll see how it goes.

In April of 07, I knew i was going to buy a bike after 15 years of not riding. I knew what i wanted and went to ROCKET, with alot of questions, I had my truck and loading ramp, tie downs and checkbook ready, I was buying a bike. The guy treated me like doggie poop so i walked out and went to ECC, where a sales guys named Chris took care of me. I got the KLR 07 and even to this day he calls and checks to see how the bike is running. I take it to KENDEL at ECC to work on the bike and I,m trated well, now, the fact is that the KLR was my second choice, however there was NO WAY i was buying a bike from ROCKET after being treated the way i was, let alone going to bring my bike in for repairs to that place.

RND off of MORENA BLVD is a small local shop which is pretty cool as the guy knows i,m pretty new and points me the right way without taking advantage of me.

ROCKET, The guy treated me like doggie poop ......

Ditto when I was getting back into it. Dead set on a Triumph Tiger but the attitude in the shop talked me out of the place. Was so disgusted I quit looking for a while. Found the best deal in OC but finances took a sudden turn and I put it off. (maybe I should call and thank them) :ph34r:

Strange, although I wasn't there to buy a bike, the guys were pretty nice and conversational when I went in the other day just to have a look-see and kill some time. But I think all the bike shops are concentrating a little bit more on customer service now that the economy has tanked.

One store that I went browsing in, where nobody said a peep to me was San Diego Harley Davidson. :ph34r:

Strange, although I wasn't there to buy a bike, the guys were pretty nice and conversational when I went in the other day just to have a look-see and kill some time. But I think all the bike shops are concentrating a little bit more on customer service now that the economy has tanked.

One store that I went browsing in, where nobody said a peep to me was San Diego Harley Davidson. :ph34r:

Did you go in wearing moto gear? :ph34r: Ask for something in black leather that will make you blend in, while screaming what an individualist you are?

No offense to any Big Twin riders... I know plenty of you have one, ride one and wrench on one.

Did you go in wearing moto gear? :ph34r: Ask for something in black leather that will make you blend in, while screaming what an individualist you are?

No offense to any Big Twin riders... I know plenty of you have one, ride one and wrench on one.

No moto gear. I did have a leather trimmed bill on my Fenwick fishing hat, though and a pair of cool over-the-glasses shades. I guess I should have at least been wearing a "I own a Harley Davidson, not just a tee shirt" tee shirt and had an eagle motiff do rag on my head.

Just went in to the Cycle gear in El Cajon and they've converted it to a clearence store. They don't have any liquids. They do have some deals on gear but I usually went in for a filter, engine ice, or oil, no such luck now. Guess it's veys or motorworld for something close. :rolleyes:

Well I had no idea this had happened and walked into the new outlet shop. I wasn't impressed a bit by the help either. I told them I was looking for oil and plugs......They told me the closest REGULAR Cycle Gear was in Kearny Mesa. "Venting" Like Im going to DRIVE forty miles round trip for oil..... C'mon. So, they will not get any more dollars from me for tires or any of the other needs. (Even though the other store is around the corner from work in KM) I used to recommend them highly..... not likely now.

Now on a good note....

NCY was extremely nice the last few times there....... Had exactly what was needed each time. Wish they were closer to home or work.

Spyder

Just went in to the Cycle gear in El Cajon and they've converted it to a clearence store. They don't have any liquids. They do have some deals on gear but I usually went in for a filter, engine ice, or oil, no such luck now. Guess it's veys or motorworld for something close. :blink:

Well I had no idea this had happened and walked into the new outlet shop. I wasn't impressed a bit by the help either. I told them I was looking for oil and plugs......They told me the closest REGULAR Cycle Gear was in Kearny Mesa. "Venting" Like Im going to DRIVE forty miles round trip for oil..... C'mon. So, they will not get any more dollars from me for tires or any of the other needs. (Even though the other store is around the corner from work in KM) I used to recommend them highly..... not likely now.

Now on a good note....

NCY was extremely nice the last few times there....... Had exactly what was needed each time. Wish they were closer to home or work.

Spyder

I posted about this a while back... the deals were CRAZY on old moto gear! I got 2 jerseys and 3 tees for like $25!

and, as TREE said... motoworld is right down the street and Vey's not much farther... re: Vey's... Robert (you don't remember me, but I sold you a Seca 750 for $100 about 20 years ago) open up on Mondays, please... that is my wrenching day

The small shop in Alpine was closed Mondays, too and they're now out of business... :rolleyes:

I'll second the recommendation for Clairemont Cycle Supply. Jamie (the owner) is a great guy and very helpful. If they don't have it in stock, it's never taken them more than a day to get what I've needed. I personnally prefer to support a locally owned store.

By the way, all you Husky owners ought to know that the Cycle Gear in San Marcos carrys TE(K&N#154) oil filters for 7.99. The dealer I was getting them from charged almost double for the same thing. You can also get them on-line at Rocky Mountain MC for 6.99.

I'll second the recommendation for Clairemont Cycle Supply. Jamie (the owner) is a great guy and very helpful. If they don't have it in stock, it's never taken them more than a day to get what I've needed. I personnally prefer to support a locally owned store.

Bump the thread for the small business owner competing with corporate run shops like 'cycle *uear'. CSS is great and always been very fair in my experiences.

By the way, all you Husky owners ought to know that the Cycle Gear in San Marcos carrys TE(K&N#154) oil filters for 7.99. The dealer I was getting them from charged almost double for the same thing. You can also get them on-line at Rocky Mountain MC for 6.99.

I get mine from Motosportz. He charges $5 each or 5 for $23. They are the HI-Flo # 154 filters. I am always ordering something from Kelley any way so I don't worry about the shipping.

Add one more happy customer to the list at All American Ktm in Ramona. Got my new Terra flex installed today for the dash and then went up to have them install my new pipe on my KTM 690. They also Remapped my fuel injection, the owner RJ took my bike for a spin and he went to get on the throttle hard and it lit the back tire up, new terra flex tires are slippery but it was funny. Great service and Brent and RJ and gang are great folks and service and prices are great.

BikeSlut, have you been to a small shop next to the Alpine feed store? I think its regarding tires and other nick nacks. If so let me know.

BikeSlut, have you been to a small shop next to the Alpine feed store? I think its regarding tires and other nick nacks. If so let me know.

I have not, but Ozzy has... I think he mostly changes tires for $18... They used to have a little shop across the street but the 76 station but they left. They were closed Sunday and Monday, so I never gave them any business

I have not, but Ozzy has... I think he mostly changes tires for $18... They used to have a little shop across the street but the 76 station but they left. They were closed Sunday and Monday, so I never gave them any business

Yeah I remember that place. Service in the back, chainsaws and protective equipment in the front. I bought a helmet and goggles there a few years back.