Brett

Local shop experiences

I understand that some local shops may support our sport & are therefore listed in the new forum Prefered Merchants. I also know that beyond our standard level of appreciation for this, there will be certain misgivings about certain shops for various reasons that may be discussed here in this forum. We also encounter good experiences at some shops that should be shared as well.

Overall I have very good experience with Motoworld of El Cajon. I have not used their shop but will certainly try them now that they handle KTM. Their accessory dept. run by Geoff King is exceptional. I also just ordered 3 KTM parts that they OFFERED to let me pay for when picking them up rather than ahead of time. GREAT service!

I have not been to All American KTM in a couple years since being lied to, and several of my friends & I experiencing serious shop violations. Perhaps they're better now?

My favorite place for rubber replacement is Kenny at Santee Motorcycle Supply. I also like supporting a small local merchant.

Rocket Motorcycles is arrogant beyond belief and insulting at every opportunity. They have also recently lost the only reason to go there, i.e., the 2 best KTM mechanics in town.

Kon-Tiki is now run by the son ... yes, Alex from Rocket (great mechanic) has now taken over Pop's business, bringing KTM & Triumph wrenching skills with him. Just did the first service on my new Tiger ... top notch!

Another good local shop is San Diego Sport Cycles. They're the closest shop to my house and have good experiences there. They also buy a big block of well placed Suprecross tickets every year, so that's handy.

Although I don't have too much 1st hand experience with GP or SD BMW, I've hear some very nice reports about both.

I don't have a lot of new experience with House of Motorcycles since it changed hands. The experience I've had hasn't been good. They also cut off the Red Hot Riders for discounts in favor of a younger sport group. I guess they had more $.

Quincy in Lemon Grove is know for good bike discounts. They are also known for a shop that few would trust. I've had some work done there on my FJR, but wouldn't want to entrust my KTMs.

Fun Bike ... well, I think it's been said quit enough ...

I'm no too sure if this forum is meant to be a catch-all for comments like this, but some may wish to start individual threads focussing on each local shop, including the good & bad experiences. But for now, it is what it is :lol::o:(

I second San Diego SportCycles, 7245 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115, (619) 464-6255. It's owned by the Nixon brothers, a couple of local riders active in AMA Desert Racing. They've matched or beat any price I've found on the internet. They'll also order your OEM parts, tires, etc.

I have my street tires changed and balanced by Chris at Lemon Grove Cycle Supply, 7630 Broadway, Lemon Grove CA 91945, (619) 460-1700. I met him out at Lyons Trading Post one afternoon and have used him since, Bring in your rim and it's $15. If you bring your own rubber it's $20. Call ahead to make sure he isn't out riding and perhaps he might be able to do it while you wait.

I'm neutral on San Diego House of Motorcycles at the moment. Nothing major, but I've cut down my purchases there since the RHR discount was abandoned.

:lol: North county yamaha has alot of my business, they have treated me very fair from sales to service, ijust asked if they have a certified mechanic for the ktm 950 & 990 yes they do. :)

ECC...... ask for Roy in sales for a great buy on a bike.

whos roy,i bought my last 4 hondas thru dan hatch in sales,ecc is also a great shop :lol:

Regarding MotoWorlds KTM Service,

Not certain what to think regarding Service Dept. They have had my 990 for 4 days to do the initial service. I called last week to make an appointment. They said sure, just bring it in Tuesday, will take one or two days. It's now almost 5:00 on Friday. I'd call that lousy. I see a few KTMs being serviced. Have any of you had better luck? Looks like I may be driving up to MS for the mechanic that ride KTMs.

BAGSTR

Cycle Gear......Bought a new MT21 last week and put less than 200 miles on it and it started chunking really bad. This bothered me since I got such good mileage on the old one that I had been riding on since Febuary when I put it on for the Desert Dash. I got nearly 2,000 miles out of that tire.

I stopped by Cycle gear in El Cajon on my way home from work (on the bike) where I bought it and showed it to them. They took a look at it and told me they would replace it. Since they did not have another in stock at the time they called the other store on Convoy, printed me a receipt and apologized to me.

I went home and took the wheel off and drove to the other store and got the new tire mounted and balanced and out the door in 30 minutes at no additional cost.

bummer I had to drive there but understanding of how they put the effort into helping me. I rate that decent cucstomer service compared to other places I have done buisness with.

They are keeping my buisness! :D

Cycle Gear......Bought a new MT21 last week and put less than 200 miles on it and it started chunking really bad. This bothered me since I got such good mileage on the old one that I had been riding on since Febuary when I put it on for the Desert Dash. I got nearly 2,000 miles out of that tire.

I stopped by Cycle gear in El Cajon on my way home from work (on the bike) where I bought it and showed it to them. They took a look at it and told me they would replace it. Since they did not have another in stock at the time they called the other store on Convoy, printed me a receipt and apologized to me.

I went home and took the wheel off and drove to the other store and got the new tire mounted and balanced and out the door in 30 minutes at no additional cost.

bummer I had to drive there but understanding of how they put the effort into helping me. I rate that decent cucstomer service compared to other places I have done buisness with.

They are keeping my buisness! :lol:

ditto the convoy store is near me and they are all i'll use if i can help it

They are keeping my buisness! :lol:

ditto the convoy store is near me and they are all i'll use if i can help it

I am also treated very well price wise and with help at the escondido cycle gear at the corner of nordahl and montiel, ask for lauren, just got a new back tire for the harley.

Cycle Gear is a pretty good shop - Only problem is I wind up spending WAYYYY too much when I go into one...

I'm sure most already know this, but Cycle Gear gives Military/Law Enforcement/Firefighters a 10% discount on non-sale items if you show them an ID card (It's worked at all the local stores I've been to)...

Last street helmet I bought they special ordered (for my large cranium) and still honored the 10% discount...

I am also treated very well price wise and with help at the escondido cycle gear at the corner of nordahl and montavadeo, ask for lauren, just got a new back tire for the harley.

I was just in there today, great store, very helpful. They don't rush you, they answer all my dumb-ass questions with a knowledgeable smile :lol:, and the prices are pretty good to. :) Ken

I purchased My KLR 06 from House of motorcycles in SanDiego rode it THREE day's and a bolt feel out of the rack I took the bike back and showed them the missing bolt they told Me the bolt was nine dollars and that they would install the bolt for free :lol::) Do I even need to say anymore. THE DOC.

Cycle Gear is a pretty good shop - Only problem is I wind up spending WAYYYY too much when I go into one...

I'm sure most already know this, but Cycle Gear gives Military/Law Enforcement/Firefighters a 10% discount on non-sale items if you show them an ID card (It's worked at all the local stores I've been to)...

Last street helmet I bought they special ordered (for my large cranium) and still honored the 10% discount...

Heads up to military members. I just got done doing some Christmas shopping at Escondido Cycle Center and noticed they have new signs up all over the parts/accessories store - 15% Military Discount! I think it might be a new permanent thing (not just for the holiday) but forgot to ask. I was able to pick up a new pair of boots and save a few bucks (the boots were the same regular price as Cycle Gear who gives a 10% discount).

It seems most of the military board members here are down south, but if you find yourself in North County, might want to check and see if you can find anything you need...

For my 2 cents...House of Motorcycles is the worst. Sent my XR400 in to be jetted and when I picked it up it still had the snorkel in. I pointed this out, they said oops and had me wait around while they remedied the problem. Their service is not very good in my opinion.

National City Motorcyles has EXCELLENT service/prices. Rob is super great and I have always had perfect results there. Fast, friendly and economical. I keep going back there for everything. 1504 National City Boulevard, 619-474-2025. (no I don't have an affiliation with them)

They are just a cool old school motorcycle shop with great service.

For my 2 cents...House of Motorcycles is the worst. Sent my XR400 in to be jetted and when I picked it up it still had the snorkel in. I pointed this out, they said oops and had me wait around while they remedied the problem. Their service is not very good in my opinion.

National City Motorcyles has EXCELLENT service/prices. Rob is super great and I have always had perfect results there. Fast, friendly and economical. I keep going back there for everything. 1504 National City Boulevard, 619-474-2025. (no I don't have an affiliation with them)

They are just a cool old school motorcycle shop with great service.

I think you'll get a lot of agreement here... back in the day, I knew a number of people there, and they provided good service, and negotiated on prices, etc.

They have no shortage of work (thanks to their location, years in business, and advertising) and don't go the extra mile on anything any more.

For what it's worth: Thumpertalk has a great forum on jetting, and there are probably 50 people on this forum that would help with it... No Carb gets left behind!

I like clairemont cycle supply. Owner operated small local shop. It's good to support the little guys even if it costs a dollar more. I am not saying they dont have good deals but if you troll the interwebs long enough one can usually find some parts cheap. It would suck if the only choice for bike shops is the big box kind. My .02.

Z.

I have found a great place over in Santee for tires. Its right off the 125/52 merge on mission gorge road. It is not a fancy shop, but the guy there can hook up great deals. I bought 4 tires there and they were cheaper than anywhere in town. Maxxis desert tires for me, he orders whatever tire you want and has them in in 2 days. Its called full throttle powersports of Santee. Call him for tires and see if he can hook you up. Tell him someone on the internet told you Mike at full throttle can get deals on tires.

I'll third and fourth San Diego Sportcycles.

The Nixons (well, Rich anyway) came from Kyocera to do his dream... not only ride motorcycles, but to sell parts and gear for them... owning his own shop. I remember the venture well when he took it over from Dave, who had been the owner since inception... and when he sold motorcycles on consignment down on 70th and University (where I initially met Dave). Bob and Rich will do ya well...! I've known them for years, before the shop... as co-workers and co-riders. Great guys.

I'll also throw in C and D Cycle.

Steve and Ryck... both buying the shop from Cameron, who bought out Dave... hence the name (C and D - Cameron and Dave Cycle). They do FULL service work... ride and race dirt bikes... (AMA District 38, SCORE, Los Ancianos...etc.etc) and are great guys. Being both shops are my buds... I have to spread the wealth between the two. A pain, but worth it all the way around. In fact, I don't do my own 4-stroke rebuilds (as I need them often - BikeSlayer should be my nickname)... they do. And I've always been happy!

Two local shops that both ride, race and give back to the sport and people....

I do use Alba and FBC as some of my hard part needs. I get some killer just over cost deal at both places... it makes it worth the effort to deal with the 'guys' behind the counter. Even if I have to go back for an issue. I do give both smaller shops the chance to beat the 'just over cost' deals... but it's rare they can match it.

:blink:

Stopped going to House of Motorcycles when they told me they wouldn't service my 1996 Shadow because it was more than 10 years old.

I guess after taking a bike to them for 10 years they don't want my business anymore...

So they wont get it.