I'm trying to get more info on this to see what may be accomplished by attending this meeting, and making comments also in the public comment period. Meeting is in Riverside.

MEETING AGENDA LINK

I'm trying to get more info on this to see what may be accomplished by attending this meeting, and making comments also in the public comment period. Meeting is in Riverside.

Keep us posted...

THIS MEETING IS IMPORTANT

This meeting will have a vote for Chair and Vice Chair of the OHMVR Commision....means this meeting is critical , also the funding priorities are on the agenda, which will effect how the funds are allocated for next year.

Public comment period will be important for the public...you....to express opinions.

I will be driving up.....let's get a carload of SDAR folks to go. Please participate !!

You will get an idea of what to say during the public comment period before you get up there to speak. You will have 2 minutes to speak. I will probably have 4 minutes since I'll be representing SDAR as an organization.

As always, a showing in numbers is one of the most important factors at these meetings....showing support for your sport and that you care about your future riding opportunities !!

Rad-

You've got my cell phone and you know I'll be working the National H & H at Superstition. I will plan on driving to Riverside on Saturday to attend this meeting and comment! Please keep in touch with me on your plans and thanks for posting this important event.

Everyone else who reads this post-

POST A REPLY HERE SO THAT RANDY CAN PRINT THEM AND BRING THEM ALONG ON YOUR BEHALF.

If you sit on your @$$ and wait for others to act, you will find yourself riding only in your own backyard-and even THAT is a maybe (Note that they can't even do THAT in Riverside County anymore. That's right folks, even if you own the property, YOU CAN'T RIDE YOUR MOTORCYCLE ON IT!)

If you're reading this, consider driving up to the meeting. If you're not going to make it- Support those who support you, and tell a friend to do the same!

So far, 48 views and only 3 replies :lol:

Now 57 views, still only 3 replies :o

86 views and still only 3 replies B)

NOT ON A SOAPBOX HERE but, I sure could use everyone's help.

I'll be meeting Rad in Riverside on Saturday morning to make public comment to the BLM and OHMVR Commission. I need your comments to read during my 2 minutes!

Please post them here NOW and I will print and read them. This will give the Commission the impression that there is a group of people who don't want to lose our riding areas.

If you are reading this, PLEEEASE (pretty please with sugar) post here! Even if it's only one sentence, it will keep the thread "bumped".

I need to have at least 14 comments (the 14 who joined us to Corral Canyon this past Sunday and saw that we are adopting our own trail) by Thursday morning.

THANK YOU :angry:

Unfortunately I cannot make it to the meeting since I will be working this weekend, but wish I could be there.

As far as comments go, I would just like to point out that riding off road is one of the ways that my family gets together. I teach my children to be responsible in the outdoors, every time we go out we pick up trash and try to leave the area better than it was when we got there. I worry that when my kids have their own family they won't be able to enjoy riding due to land closures/mis-management.

Thanks,

Tom

I was waiting for more info. I didn't realize the comments were for non-agenda items. It sounds like it is just a chance to address the board.

If I make it up there you can't use these: :angry:

=====

I feel it is imperative that roads on public lands be kept accessible for outdoor recreation. Public policy needs to stand up to the hysterical agenda of sealing off an area every time an infraction or perceived infraction occurs.

We live in a society of rules and regulations. While enforcement is expensive and sometimes difficult to administer across vast parcels of land, we cannot abandon our responsibilities by gating off routes and trails to curtail misuse. In the same way that we do not destroy highways when a drunk driver takes a life, we should not deconstruct a dirt road used by thousands because a single “quad” has left a track recently. The rights and privileges of conscientious users should not be infringed upon based on the actions of lawless users.

Let’s continue to pursue a reasonable land use strategy that balances the benefits and the costs to the public. Let’s be realistic about our nations resources and how they can be managed and shared among its citizens.

Unfortunately I cannot make it to the meeting since I will be working this weekend, but wish I could be there.

As far as comments go, I would just like to point out that riding off road is one of the ways that my family gets together. I teach my children to be responsible in the outdoors, every time we go out we pick up trash and try to leave the area better than it was when we got there. I worry that when my kids have their own family they won't be able to enjoy riding due to land closures/mis-management.

Thanks,

Tom

My son and I are riding in the Death Valley 350 this weekend so we're out for this meeting....but as Tom said above, riding offroad is my family's replacement for "football/soccer/swim team/etc./etc".......it's been a fantastic experience for me and my kids and we try to be "tree hugging motorheads" to the greatest extent possible by leaving the area cleaner than we found it......enough is enough.......closing more land off is NOT the answer.....education/proper management of resources is a better approach.

Thanks Randy/R-O for attending the meeting and passing on all the good things our club is currently doing and can do in the future.....

Guest EX QB

Having two boys who are just getting primed to ride I plead with the governing sources to open the trails and we will keep them as we found them if not better. Working this weekend but for the love of God, He gave us this world to enjoy and we need to keep it.

Let us ride!!!!!!!!!

EX QB

I like the comments.

Is there at least ONE other person who wants to carpool up with me on Saturday ??

C'mon, there's gotta be at least one out of over 300 of you who can make this, besides myself, Ride-Orange, and posibbly Sandiegoland.

Come find out what meetings are about, meet other off-roaders and Dualsporters !! Join in the battle, if you don't......believe me, WE WILL LOSE IT ALL !!

After what I heard from Legislators, Senators and people from all over the great state of California at Lobby Day, we are in serious jeopardy of losing more and more lands, a little bit at a time, until everyone, whether you ride motocross or just fire roads, will not have anywhere left to ride !!

Almost 100% positive I will be in Ontario on Saturday morning and afternoon. I may be able to spare a few hours for a worthy cause.

KTM RAD I need more info but it looks like I can make the trip and I have a van that seats 8 total. My wife is going to sanfran friday I just need to set something up for my son. Need time and place to meet and do you want Me to drive? Brian

I don't even know why this is an issue. Are there lots of people out there asking for certain public lands to be closed to off road vehicles? Or are there just lawmakers that are bored and need something to leave their "mark" on? I enjoyed riding off road as a kid, when my daughter is old enough to ride, I would like her to enjoy that right also. I would also like to see my grandkids doing the same thing. I feel it should be a right and not a privilege to use our public lands. I take great pride in teaching my daughter to be responsible and clean up after herself and others that are less thoughtful. I would be willing to bet that most of the people that vote to close public lands dont even use them. Maybe ballot boxes in the proposed "wilderness" areas would let the people that actually use those particular areas vote on whether or not to close or change an area would be a better answer, than letting a bunch of people that have never been there decide. All I know is there has to be a better way, because right now the people that use, take care of, pay for, and cherish their public lands are having to fight tooth and nail to keep the (privilege) "right" to use them for their enjoyment. Life should be about enjoying our freedoms not fighting for them(I thought they already did that). Ken

It is interesting how we have to fight so hard to keep our Public Lands, Public. It seems like a endless battle against poeple who want the public land converted into Wilderness areas and closed to the adventurous minded people like me. I am still interested how many people who voted to close these recreation areas actully enjoy them or who have ever been in them.

I feel that these areas should be concidered as resorces that we all can share. I enjoy riding my dual sport motorcycle on trails all over the state and keep finding fences popping up everywhere. In San Diego County alone there are several Wilderness that span Thousands of Acres that hardly anyone uses and only 2 small OHV areas available for the rest of the county, 1 of which is partially closed from a fire started near a wilderness area.

We as a club, San Diego Adventure Riders, are currently adopting a trail in one of our OHV areas and will maintain this trail and keep it clean. We are taking responsibility for our trails and yet you keep trying to take them away. There are many clubs like ours across this state and nation that step up and do the same if not more to protect our right to ride and care for our resorces.

I would apprecieate reconcidering any closures of our land and please continue funding for OHV programs and keep our public lands open to all to enjoy and care for.

Thanks,

John

It is interesting how we have to fight so hard to keep our Public Lands, Public. It seems like a endless battle against poeple who want the public land converted into Wilderness areas and closed to the adventurous minded people like me. I am still interested how many people who voted to close these recreation areas actully enjoy them or who have ever been in them.

I feel that these areas should be concidered as resorces that we all can share. I enjoy riding my dual sport motorcycle on trails all over the state and keep finding fences popping up everywhere. In San Diego County alone there are several Wilderness that span Thousands of Acres that hardly anyone uses and only 2 small OHV areas available for the rest of the county, 1 of which is partially closed from a fire started near a wilderness area.

We as a club, San Diego Adventure Riders, are currently adopting a trail in one of our OHV areas and will maintain this trail and keep it clean. We are taking responsibility for our trails and yet you keep trying to take them away. There are many clubs like ours across this state and nation that step up and do the same if not more to protect our right to ride and care for our resorces.

I would apprecieate reconcidering any closures of our land and please continue funding for OHV programs and keep our public lands open to all to enjoy and care for.

Thanks,

John

Well said John....

Great work so far gentlemen!

Craig- Hopefully you will make it up there with us, if not I'll need to pull the "SDAR Legislative Officer" card and try to get a 4 minute window! :rolleyes:

Tom, Chris, Cree, Ken, & John- I'll be printing your comments and they will be heard!

Don't quit now fellas, KEEP 'EM COMING! :lol: I am proud to speak on your behalf!

KTM RAD I need more info but it looks like I can make the trip and I have a van that seats 8 total. My wife is going to sanfran friday I just need to set something up for my son. Need time and place to meet and do you want Me to drive? Brian

HoeDoc, thanks for the offer. We'll see how many people we get interested in attending the meeting as the week goes on.

We'll do a roll call on Friday, I'm out of town to Vegas for Wed. & Thurs, may have internet access on Wed. nite to check in.

Talk to you soon, and thanks for everyone's participation !!

*bump* Looks like bold font got some responses, so I'm re-issuing this post.

NOW PLEASE RESPOND

Great work so far gentlemen!

Craig- Hopefully you will make it up there with us, if not I'll need to pull the "SDAR Legislative Officer" card and try to get a 4 minute window!

Tom, Chris, Cree, Ken, & John- I'll be printing your comments and they will be heard!

Don't quit now fellas, KEEP 'EM COMING! I am proud to speak on your behalf!

2cents below:

===============

BLM will be in the best position to facilitate a balanced approach to land management if we have a balanced viewpoint represented on this committee, someone who understands the requirements of sensible amounts and usages of trails for the public which BLM serves, combined with appropriate environmental treatment. Simply working toward closure prolongs the process because it attracts a more protracted battle. We need someone in the middle who can work for keeping our lands open and properly managed, it's the shortest path to the best stewardship we know BLM is seeking, and, therefore, resolution in this manner will also be the most cost effective.

===============

Can't make it, teaching relatives how to ride Saturday, doubt they'd come along and watch me jump on a table and try to act threatening...but in a good way.

I think both sides of this issue can work together and come to happy mediums. Instead of butt-ing heads and wasting time and money, lets use this energy to work together. There is plenty of land available to meet everyones needs. There is land that needs to be protected, and land that needs to be opened. Instead of just finding areas to shut down, help us find other areas we can use instead. Or maybe different areas can be opened and closed during different seasons, allowing us more areas to explore and enjoy without them being constantly bombarded. The offroad industry in california creates millions in consumer spending, thousands of jobs, is constantly growing and not going anywhere. We cannot just make ohv areas smaller because the sport is constantly growing causing a higher concentration of people in smaller areas which makes riding dangerous, and throws the ideal of treading lightly out the window. If both sides can truly work together, everybody WINS!!!!

Thanks unclecameron and parasitic. I will share your thoughts also.

Glad to see that 7 out of 258 views have the stones to stand-up to the OHMVR Commission and post a comment to be read. Adding Rad, sandiegoland, backhoedoc and myself, that's about a four and a half percent hit rate (but I don't think I'll read that part to the Commission :D).

The other ninetyfive and a half percent should be proud that you are involved with a club that is willing to fight for your rights to ride, please feel free to get involved if we are lucky enough to have a "next time".

Off to do battle :D

Not sure if I'll make the trip up with you yet Rob but here are my comments:

California off-roaders as a group put a lot of time and money into keeping our pubic lands open for public use. Whether it be through green stickers funds or involvement in groups like CORVA, The Blue Ribbon coalition and smaller clubs such as the San Diego adventure riders as well as the numerous off road racing clubs. The reason we do this is so our kids and their kids will have the same opportunities to enjoy the deserts and mountain. I use these times to bond with my kids, friends, neighbors, or people I've just met out on the trail. It's a way to enjoy nature, the rugged landscapes, the sunsets, the sunrises, trees, scrub brush, meadows, creeks, etc. Off-roading is a useful tool in teaching my kids how to be responsible and take care of the environment that they enjoy. It is also a great incentive tool that has motivated my kids to do well in school and to steer clear of bad influences. So, instead of bringing measures for closures and limited-use proposals our elected and appointed officials should be looking at ways to open more land to recreational activities.

I would like to express my concerns about the never ending cycle of land closure. It seems that more and more land is becoming inaccessible due to environmental issues or funding issues. By closing more land you are perpetuating this downward cycle. When you close land you are forcing riders into a smaller area. Population is growing. Off road community is growing. Smaller area and more riders means more environmental impact, thus more closures. Downward cycle continues! We should try and find a balance to the environmental problem. I propose we keep these lands open. We work together in creating public awareness of the environment. Let more off road groups like SDAR volunteer to monitor, maintain, and rehab trails that are in distress. Open new trails on a seasonal basis. In doing this we can lessen the environmental impact we have on the land and stop the bottle necking affect we are now creating.

This same downward spiral holds true to the funding of organizations wich deal with land management. By closing land you are detouring people who would have spent their time and money in these areas. Rural communities who create revenue from these people suffer. Restaurants, hotels, stores, gas stations all suffer. Housing suffers when there are no jobs to support the homeowners. All this suffering creates less tax base to draw from. In turn less funding for land management. So once again we are trapped in a downward spiral. So lets change the policy of accentuating the negative, and lets start promoting the positive. Thank you!

Side Note

Somebody give Ride Orange a cookie! By badgering the people that make up this club RO, you might just end up with your precious few 4 or 5 percent. Instead of growing by leaps and bounds like we have in the last year!

Yours Truly

DA BUM!

Man, you are all coming up with some great comments, and they're all so true.

Thanks for getting involved and putting some thought into it.

Kevin and I have been discussing some other types of strategies, we'll keep you posted about those as soon as we have more info.....it will be in a "private forum".

I hope this will help.

I have been enjoying our public land without thought of the day my family and I might need to voice concern that we would lose the right go out and enjoy it.

As a long time green sticker user I want a equal voice in the use of public land.

OHV areas should be expanded not taken away. Public land should be kept open for all.

We need a land use policy that will equally benefit the many different users of this land.

Thanks

Randall Gannon