JohnnyAirtime

Mid-Week Trail Ride (10/13 or 10/14?)

Okay folks...

I see there's some riding on Monday AM (too early for me, and too early in the week).

However, I was looking to get out and get some miles in on Wednesday 10/13 or Thursday 10/14.

I was also thinking to do some of my own exploring (Haven't been to some of these areas in a loooong while)

.... Otay Truck Trail, Jacumba, Donovan Prison, Dulzura, Tecate, Military Bunkers, Border fence, etc.etc.

I've got GPS tracks of all kinds of great stuff out there... and would like to do some exploring with others, who may know the area better.

Hit me up, I've got a plated XR400... or 450X I can ride.

.... mostly plated to jump from trail head to trail head... not so "legal" to roll down the I-8 mid-day at 65mph, nor is that preferred. So really, I'm not a true "dual sport" fanatic unless it's a dirt road or dirt trail.... or some back country two-lane pavement through towns like Jacumba.

LET ME KNOW!!!

... my email is "my user name"@gmail.com ... or you can PM me.

Johnny

hmmm, Wednesday might be doable. I know some fun ST out and around the areas you're speaking of. It's been a real long time since I've been out that way. I'll get back to you after tomorrow's ride.

Sounds like an interesting ride, Johnny. If my son is hanging out with his friends this Wednesday, then I'm in. I'll check your posting and let you know by Tuesday.

Mac

Sounds good fellas....

I know I have some tracks, for some killer stuff out in Boulevard and outlying areas, but... again, I've not been out there in years and some of those tracks I have are from a friend who knows a local resident. Not sure I'm willing to ride any of it without someone knowing more of the area(s). But, I will be there... solo or not, so it would be cool to have any of you two or more along.

I'll be watching the thread too. wink.gif

Sounds like fun.

Assuming work gets the boot off my throat I am in for anything. keep us informed of the start point and Linkup. Odds are I will be on he BMW (don;t worry none of what you are talking about so far is a problem) but I need to take th DRZ out....

Anyway, keep us informed!

*edit: Thursday is the only day I may have any chance of making it.

Okay... looks like some maybes for Wednesday and Thursday

... just waiting for some of those confirmations on availability to narrow down my day.

(Maaaaybe I'll ride both days and explore what I miss from the day prior, and I can stay the night at my dad's since i live in Clairemont... avoiding the drive back and forth)

I had planned on riding from my Dad's house, in Bonita.

(Bonita Downs to be exact, near Rohr Park - 3400 block of Kennelworth Lane)

I'd ride out towards Otay Lakes Road where it intersects Hunte Rd.

Follow that out to Donovan, and then jump on the Truck Trail heading East.

... I'd say I'd be out on the truck trail by 10AM, or leave my Dad's house at 9AM (as a good estimate)

Also, has anyone tried to ride the border from Donovan/Otay Truck Trail area... along the border and border fenceline (at times, within 1/4 mile from the Baja Toll-Road), to Maron Valley Rd and Cottonwood Creek Road?? It's some nasty stuff if I remember right (steep cliffs, "pedestrian trails"..etc), and might not be passable on bike anymore. One reason I'd like to go explore, and see for myself. And obviously, do my best to not piss-off any local Border Patrol!

With that said, SteelRain... I think it'll be mostly a DRZ venture for you. coolio.gif

Work called, I'm out for Wednesday.

Cheers

LAME! ... woulda' been nice to ride with ya again. Darn work, gets in the way all the time!

I can ride Wednesday morning and will be coming in off of Campo Road via Rancho San Diego until about 4 pm. Where's a good meet up spot?

I know. They called and asked me to start early. Start early, off early. There's a big ride next weekend and just little ol' you this week. I need the extra time next week to get ready for next weekend.

You should join us

Oops :offtopic:

Have a good ride.

I know. They called and asked me to start early. Start early, off early. There's a big ride next weekend and just little ol' you this week. I need the extra time next week to get ready for next weekend.

You should join us

http://dualsport-sd....ual-sport-ride/

http://dualsport-sd....sport-oct-2324/

Oops :offtopic:

Have a good ride.

I'm still unemployed, and am trying to ride with as little outgoing money as possible.

... even a small donation is enough to make any ride not do-able for me. $75 turns into $150. You know how it goes.

I can ride Wednesday morning and will be coming in off of Campo Road via Rancho San Diego until about 4 pm. Where's a good meet up spot?

My original plan of being on the bike by 9-10AM won't happen.

... I have two dead batteries in my Excursion, and have the chance to meet up with the "battery guy" tomorrow morning at 9:30 in San Ysidro area. That's if he's on time, I still have to travel from there to Bonita and unload and gear up. I probably won't be on my bike and out to Otay until 11:30 (knowing me). I'd have to guess that I'll be out in the area by noon... and will bring my cell. (I'll PM you my number and info)

I don't have a time limit, and have a great HID... and love night riding, so I might be out past dark. Hopefully by choice. rolleyes.gif

... finally, I'm on my bike (well, in two minutes anyway)

Wanna see where I'm at... check my spot2;

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0XiPfXC2aiGXU7untmk9eFl84vjhla9VF

How accurate is SPOT?

See track 30. Right there is a Border Monument #250. One I have not seen or pictured yet. Bummed I didnt get the chance to go today. Johnny, looks like you were having a great time exploring.

Next time....

S

... finally, I'm on my bike (well, in two minutes anyway)

Wanna see where I'm at... check my spot2;

http://share.findmes...k9eFl84vjhla9VF

How accurate is SPOT?

See track 30. Right there is a Border Monument #250. One I have not seen or pictured yet. Bummed I didnt get the chance to go today. Johnny, looks like you were having a great time exploring.

Next time....

S

Just got home...

You are correct. I stopped at the monument, and took a few pictures.

... I'll have some to put up when I'm at my house.... in another hour or so.

Then it's time to yank this carb off the bike and go back to stock.

I'm so tired of my lack of jetting on these aftermarket carbs (Mikuni pumper and FCR39 on my XR400), that I'll go back to my perfectly jetted stock carb and never look back. My bike ran like crap (I also think it was the AM/PM fuel, as it got better once I dumped two gallongs of premium in Tecate), and sputtered all the way to Tecate on the low end. I almost turned around. Glad I didn't, because I had a good time after Tecate and the bike ran lots better (still not perfect).

SPOT is pretty accurate, but only drops a waypoint every 10min, or as often as it can find satellite and satellite service to send updates to the web. So if it can't see the satellite to upload and transmit, it will try again until it links up. Once it does... you see the track point on the web. I'm hauling butt... the track points get further apart. Slow and technical, and they are closer together. Or, I stopped often (to take pictures)... so that could put them closer together too.

I did 110miles today... Not bad. Good practice for our upcoming Cancer-Ride

... I will say I was pretty impressed at first, before I got to Donovan and Otay Truck trail. Then, once on OtayTT... it was nearly paved!! WTheck? Lame! I was bored stupid. So I had to make it interesting and started taking roads and detours... and in some places, where it said road closed. Shoulda' stopped and took a picture of that road... it was tore up. In fact, no road really.

(pictures coming soon)

Never heard from ya... what happened??

... (I dropped my info as a message to you directly, and ended up being at the junction to Thousand Trails by about 12:30)