KTMrad

Gnarly, Nasty, Difficult Trails - PHOTOS !

OK, a technique question for you successful climbers ( you know who you are ). Do you lift the wheel over to start or roll it up the face?

Class is in session

I'm not a great obstacle guy...but whether my front tire lifts or tracks up an obstacle, one thing is consistent- "unweight" the front tire. Keeping the tire low tends to upset you and the bike less when the rear hits...if your front tire is way high, the weight transfer seems to throw people off balance more; great riders do it all the time....I'm not great. I preload the front, unweight the front, then accelrate into it

to be clear; the walls and rocks pictures by logroller, xrlnoob, etc to me aren't "climbs"... they are obstacles.

For a "climb" I keep steady throttle, feather the clutch to maintain traction, and use hip and head weight to track straight... if the bikes starts favoring one side, I lean the other way. Don't know if that makes sense.

a combination of climbing and obstacles (like Ranger) is what makes it tough. White Mountain in Big Bear is all loose stone; stay light on your feet, look ahead and power through... ranger requires some finesse to negotiate rocks, balance to stop from a long drop, and muscle for powering through.

As logroller and noob both mentioned; commit... if you hesitate, you wont have the balance, traction or motor to see it through

Thanks,

I am committed to checking valve clearance today, maybe obstacles in the future. Entertaining to watch, knowing I don't need to follow. :ohno02:

As logroller and noob both mentioned; commit... if you hesitate, you wont have the balance, traction or motor to see it through

Couldn't agree more with that. I always see guys standing at the bottom of hills or obstacles trying to figure it out. That has never worked for me. When I stop and look at something I've already lost all momentum and my concentration on riding is broken. To get going again requires I re-establinsh balance and forward momentum before hitting the face of the obstacle or hill. When I see an obstacle coming I have a fraction of a second to react, pick a line and get up it. 99% of the time it requires a blip of throttle and slip of clutch and me in the attack position ready for the bike to react to the terrain beneath it. Either way, I'm either up it or going all the way back down and trying again. I RARELY attempt to get going again mid hill or mid obstacle. I truely believe in all or nothing when riding trails.Trying to get 500 pounds of bike and rider moving again on a hill just digs a trench and makes the trail worse for everyone behind you.

Traction and momentum are paramount when conquering hills and tricky obstacles. That requires a steady throttle, lots of clutch work and me able to move quickly on top of the bike. Forward, back, standing, sitting all may be required in a single attempt and the whole thing may only last a few seconds.

One reason I love riding difficult terrain. You have to work for it.

OK, a technique question for you successful climbers ( you know who you are ). Do you lift the wheel over to start or roll it up the face?

Class is in session

Depends on the obstacle. But in basic terms, roll or plow over and up step up stuff (little to larger rocks creating a sort of step ramp). lift up front for more heightened step ups. Either way, freeing up the suspension is one good technique, after that it's a power up.

One technique is compressing the suspension and having it expand just before your obstacle, then blip throttle to lift front, once the front reaches top of obstacle, then throttle play, blipping, clutch to regulate climb power traction and not over power the front end up or under power it in to a stall. Keep in mind this is all done in probably less than 5 seconds start of climb to finish on a single boulder.

Now with that said, practice really is key. I've had a lack of riding lately for various reasons and that lack of saddle time plays with the mind/getting in the groove. And yes, bigger step ups require more technique and skill knowledge. Get proficient with the smaller and apply technique to the larger.

I'm on my phone right now, but if you send me a note I can send you some videos. I keep forgetting to find them and post.

P.s. I'm successful at larger rock climbs sometimes and other times I must try again, and maybe again, to be successful. And by "successful," I mean making it to the top and down. It's not always pretty, but if you can make it up and down without copious machine or self damage, it was successful.

Ah, here you go Bags. They have a bunch of videos and I think this one covers many obstacles. Parts of this are corny, but the idea is there for you.

Other stuff

Class is in session

Depends on the obstacle. But in basic terms, roll or plow over and up step up stuff (little to larger rocks creating a sort of step ramp). lift up front for more heightened step ups. Either way, freeing up the suspension is one good technique, after that it's a power up.

One technique is compressing the suspension and having it expand just before your obstacle, then blip throttle to lift front, once the front reaches top of obstacle, then throttle play, blipping, clutch to regulate climb power traction and not over power the front end up or under power it in to a stall. Keep in mind this is all done in probably less than 5 seconds start of climb to finish on a single boulder.

When a group of us attended the Motoventures riding school in Anza, this is the exact technique taught by Gary LaPlante.

Im a load and unload then reload rider its very effective if not the most glorious way to ride up stuff. Lots of body and weight control at work- the old body English techniques.

My wheeliephobia defined

To this day I am very afraid of wheelies, I learned them first on a KDX200 and was fairly good with control then I was a wheelie ace on a vintage racer B50 BSA, but ever since watching, riding with and following closely behind , this nice young guy go over the back of his KTM350 (the old 2T 350) and shatter his spine (paralyzing injury) and subsequent death after a month of treatment..... I barely loft the front wheel- my wheeliephobia defined.

note about the above from BB, I went to Gary with alot intent to re-learn wheelie techniques, it was still a tough thing for me and I scared myself over and over. We rode all the property rock sections and Gary told me all was well and that my technique is just that, another effective technique and less chancy (at my skill level) than wheelie and splatter techniques. I consider myself fairly advanced in "technical" riding and at this age and skill level am happy to stick with the load/unload mostly wheels on the ground technique.

PS for all remember its counter intuitive-----you need not only to load than unload your front to get the hop/start up, but you need to also keep the rear loaded and body weight balanced for traction. That goes for when you get hung up as well, I watch so many folks gas and lift the rear when hung up, you need to gas and hop down on the rear to get it traction and unstuck (watch extreme enduro pros techniques). long winded as usual for me so its 5 cents instead of the peanut gallery 2 cents.

Tnx Gents,

Practice the little stuff and,,,,stay off the big stuff for me. :cowboy:

Edit: Whoa, I've seen "that" guy on the trail! Well done video, showing before and after.

Robert is far better a rider than I, but whether he is or isn't I agree with him on load/unload and the wheelie stuff too. Wheelies are just one of those things, imho, where the potential of risk loses it's need for use i.e., too much can go wrong too fast resulting in too much carnage.

Now as for loading the suspension, I think people forget or don't know that they can push down on the pegs with their legs while pushing down on the bars with their arms to give an easier more even suspension load/unload movement. Also, I think in that South African (video) they show how weighting the rear creates not only better traction, but better power launching. In the video it is shown going over a small ravine with a lip. If it's not in this video, search out other videos they produce.

Now with all that said, I talk better than I walk. I still have plenty-o-room to grow my skills/techniques and being off the bike for a while isn't helping.

I thought this was a PHOTO forum?! :torch:

... nice to read your technique, but what about guys like me... who don't even know they had a technique?! I honestly, use the "just go for it" technique. Pretty high tech. :smile_anim:

Otherwise... I'm with PastaPilot. :shiftyeyes_anim:

... nice to read your technique, but what about guys like me... who don't even know they had a technique?! I honestly, use the "just go for it" technique. Pretty high tech. :smile_anim:

Just plow through it. Heehaw

Just plow through it. Heehaw

post-15129-0-24344200-1410030160_thumb.j

L1 Tecate Enduro coming into check at bottom of rock pile.

ctjimg_6110_zps97fbbaca.jpg

Was particularly super hard but just steep and bushy, and a bit rocky.

Trail doesnt start until about 430

To make it official (this is a selfie thread) in the 3rd photo that's me in blue getting all hung up on a rock. And smashing my radiator in the process.

post-5813-0-57305400-1427473932.jpg

post-5813-0-96541300-1427473945.jpg

post-5813-0-91115500-1427473961.jpg

TBT 2010 LAMC Tecate Enduro 4DEC, 2008 Husqvarna TXC450. Long day perfect conditions all day, cool, moist and cloudy. Finished only problem came in last sections in a bad spot coming into a long steep rocky canyon cooked my rear brake and it kept going away at the worst possible moments.

This is for Rev5 (but not until you see how she works) After that I installed Motul RBF660 fluid, EBC Red Carbon X pads, ZipTy reservoir extender, Slavens caliper line heat sink. (vowed never again to have brake issues and never again had any issues)

l1tecatetjimg_8309.jpg

Superstition Mt ride...

GO010689.MP4_snapshot_02.37_2015.03.30_1

Looking up doesn't seem as bad

IMG95201503299508194280195HDR_zps6ukcved

Good one.

Superstition Mt ride...

Looking up doesn't seem as bad

IMG95201503299508194280195HDR_zps6ukcved

Yeah, right! :crying_anim02: