KTMrad

Gnarly, Nasty, Difficult Trails - PHOTOS !

It always looks worse looking down. Why is that?

on a bike it looks worse too because you add a foot of height to your eyes level too,,,,, for me that looks like a view from 7 feet higher looking down.

I reminds me of when I was young dropping into a 12' vert ramp for the first time. Yikes

Inherit safety mechanism.

If we did not have it, we would try things without concern for the outcome. Look Mom, I can fly and then you hit the ground.

Now of course, we have the power to override inherit traits, safety alerts, common sense and so on, like for those of us who ride dirties on rocks. Look Mom, I can ride on rocks, and then you hit the ground.

falling up is gravityx3 feet... falling down is gravity x 9 feet... let's see; 32 feet per second squared, x 9 feet + rocks = pain...

physics class is dismissed

I had a talk with a pretty successful trials and trialscross rider a couple weeks ago. He explained a lot of the "technique" of riding difficult terrain pretty simply. I'm paraphasing, but he said it's not at all about the throttle. It's all clutch and knowing how to properly use the clutch. The throttle is really only used to maintain an RPM to keep the bike from stalling. The clutch is the key. If the clutch slips the rear tire will keep traction and you'll move forward, up or over the terrain.

post-118-0-19327500-1433564347_thumb.jpg

I had a talk with a pretty successful trials and trialscross rider a couple weeks ago. He explained a lot of the "technique" of riding difficult terrain pretty simply. I'm paraphasing, but he said it's not at all about the throttle. It's all clutch and knowing how to properly use the clutch. The throttle is really only used to maintain an RPM to keep the bike from stalling. The clutch is the key. If the clutch slips the rear tire will keep traction and you'll move forward, up or over the terrain.

Oh. This explains a lot. I never even think about fiddling with the clutch. Wow. I need help.

Yesterday morning.....Laughlin/Bullhead area....

AB91F7CF-E0E3-4188-AD3B-F1521739A05F_zps

Don't forget momentum.... it helps too!

And the clutch thing... well... my Rekluse is surely a CHEATER when it comes to rocky uphill/downhill or even flat areas. Allows me to keep one hand on the bars, and one on my cold beer. HAHAHA.

John Bull was a challenge in a 4WD. I suspect it is harder on an ADV Bike.

Haven't done it with my jeep yet, but have done it several times on bikes. I think its likely easier on my EXC 500 than with a jeep, but don't think I'll be trying it any time soon with the 1190.

view looking up

post-5813-0-99832600-1458773625_thumb.jp

view looking down after the helmet scraper

post-5813-0-09335800-1458773668_thumb.jp

somewhere in the middle nowhere down south.

The Tecate Enduros always deliver 
(not a touch obstacle, but a great race to enjoy if you haven't already)

Love the single track stuff behind Rancho Santa Veronica!

3-tecate-tj-IMG_2439.jpg

John, that's classic we all have that same shot!! I will dig up mine for a laugh.

I 100% remember there was a stupid bottle neck (for little reason) before that tight spot, I tried to go around and met a giant rock so I had to get back in line I was super race mode angry and yelling for everyone to go.......the dust was bad that year and was hanging in trail it took a while for everyone to spread out then it was fine, I was on my 2004 TC450 Husky.

17 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

John, that's classic we all have that same shot!! I will dig up mine for a laugh.

I 100% remember there was a stupid bottle neck (for little reason) before that tight spot, I tried to go around and met a giant rock so I had to get back in line I was super race mode angry and yelling for everyone to go.......the dust was bad that year and was hanging in trail it took a while for everyone to spread out then it was fine, I was on my 2004 TC450 Husky.

Yesss sir!    ... share it!

Here are two pictures from our 325 mile two day ride around the Lake Topaz area. The sunset is just a really nice picture. 

IMAG1076.jpg

IMAG1079.jpg

IMAG1116.jpg

5 hours ago, JohnnyAirtime said:

The Tecate Enduros always deliver 
(not a touch obstacle, but a great race to enjoy if you haven't already)

Love the single track stuff behind Rancho Santa Veronica!

3-tecate-tj-IMG_2439.jpg

5 hours ago, robertaccio said:

4DEC2005  Los Ancianos Tecate Hare Scrambles, pits were right outside Hacienda Santa Veronica and the course was the trail system south of Sta V., dry and dusty year.

4DEC2005TecateHS.JPG

Me and Kato out in hemet/anza area. Had some short nasty sections.  Didn't help we were on 300lbs ATKs. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

23 minutes ago, RobATK94 said:

Me and Kato out in hemet/anza area. Had some short nasty sections.  Didn't help we were on 300lbs ATKs. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Allesandro?

Yes, allesandro.   This was sometime last year.   It was a blast.  Havent been back since though.  Got to get back out there and drag some folks with me.  Nice local single track sections that don't require a plate.