SteelRain

[Rescue] Mission: Santo Tomas

If you have not heard that we found a solo Baja rider on the "Big Bikes to Mikes" ride we did, we even shared contact info in case he needed us. Oddly enough not 6 hours after we went different ways, the call came in... and a rescue mission began.

The dominos all fell into place allowing both Slagnado and myself to head out for Santo Tomas at 1330 on Monday, the day after the big bike ride.

Click the image to enlarge/enhance.

First we had to cross the border

th_Entrada.jpg

Done. We then drove for a couple of hours on scenic roads until we reached a tiny gas station and restaurant quite literally in the middle of nowhere. From there we walked though an imaculately maintained yet completely empty zoo/water park.... yeah I just said that. All the way in the back we spotted a man walking, we had found our rider.

th_Located.jpg

We also found many a friendly doggy. Here is the only one that was allowed to roam freely.

th_Doggy.jpg

I have many great photo ops that I missed, but Sondra will have those. I like this one though. My idea was that we push the bike through the "hotel" to the stairs so we would have a level loading platform, Sean must have been thinking "What exactly is your plan? So far it doesn't seem to be working."

th_Plan.jpg

More missing pictures, but we were loaded.

th_Loaded.jpg

These are my only pics, there are some truely epic pics forthcoming... Time to post up Sondra!

Our parting photo of Sean as he made his way south and hopefully the pics tell the story because I can not figure out how to post a pic and then copy.

post-13968-057293200 1285829208_thumb.jp

post-13968-093272600 1285829301_thumb.jp

post-13968-007050800 1285829385_thumb.jp

post-13968-073704200 1285829433_thumb.jp

post-13968-038192000 1285829505_thumb.jp

post-13968-079096700 1285829585_thumb.jp

Lots of fun things happened while Sean made his way state side. The best was the photo opp at the border, the toilet was not placed. Sean is heading south tomorrow and this time we will see him at the end of his journey! He looks happy to pay to get his bike fixed:) We wish him well, he is a great guy!

post-13968-061086500 1285829758_thumb.jp

post-13968-024106700 1285829879_thumb.jp

post-13968-007865900 1285829939_thumb.jp

post-13968-059417200 1285830009_thumb.jp

post-13968-092306500 1285830060_thumb.jp

post-13968-070037300 1285830168_thumb.jp

I'm curious as to what failed on the dakar?

First failure was electrical.

Second looked like oil was weeping through a seal, but I didn't have good light or a good angle. Sean's comment was it leaked fast when running but nearly stopped once the bike cooled.

Just to be clear Sean has an older P-D not the modenr Dakar.

Let's see....it was a combination of a few things, his rotor that he put in a few weeks ago was a rebuilt one and could not handle the heat and extended wear, plus too bright of a headlight. Sean's bike has a Euro switch so he will be able to turn the light off and put in a lower bulb. I am sure there is more but that is what I understood the problem to be. David can probably be more accurate than I am.

Sean has to stop by the shop because his oil sensor needs to be changed and he will be on the road at lunch:)

I love the looks Sean gives me when I share my "grand plan"

"Lets just squeeze through here"

Plan.jpg

"Then instead of pushing the bike up a ramp, lets make a bridge where the trcuk is skewed 30 degrees off angle and have the Chef at the local restaurant and a little boy help us."

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=6518

LOL

I'm curious as to what failed on the dakar?

First failure was electrical.

Second looked like oil was weeping through a seal, but I didn't have good light or a good angle. Sean's comment was it leaked fast when running but nearly stopped once the bike cooled.

Just to be clear Sean has an older P-D not the modenr Dakar.

Right, I know it's the r100 airhead, not the rotax 650 single. I was curious because the mistress and I lusting for a classic airhead to add to the stable and I've seen a couple of the R100 GS's coming up for sale recently.

Right, I know it's the r100 airhead, not the rotax 650 single. I was curious because the mistress and I lusting for a classic airhead to add to the stable and I've seen a couple of the R100 GS's coming up for sale recently.

I have a friend who is getting rid of her R100GS. Mew rubber, shocks, seals, blah blah blah. let me know if you want to hear more.

I have a friend who is getting rid of her R100GS. Mew rubber, shocks, seals, blah blah blah. let me know if you want to hear more.

I don't kow about Baldy... But I do!

All yours Steelrain. Baldy and Mistress have a rule: something must leave before anything can be added. Anyone want to buy a well cared for '99 Jeep wrangler, a dune buggy or a toybox trailer?

All yours Steelrain. Baldy and Mistress have a rule: something must leave before anything can be added. Anyone want to buy a well cared for '99 Jeep wrangler, a dune buggy or a toybox trailer?

Yep, what she said..... smiley-signs011.gif

Sean is on the road but almost left his insurance papers at my place. Luckily, I caught him as he was pulling out of Dave's. Came home to this note:) At least he has had a sense of humor considering he has now crossed the border seven times.

post-13968-090076500 1285892733_thumb.jp

I don't kow about Baldy... But I do!

I'll be seeing her tomorrow. It's not on CL yet. I'll PM you when I have all the info.