dsfox

Coon Creek Cabin Weekend Adventure

I always enjoy these big group get-togethers.........sorry I missed this one due to other obligations......sounds like it was a blast.....

Did anyone ride up "Pussy Cat Hill" (a hardway climb from the 2009 BBTR Big Bear Run - it's just north/east of Heart Bar Peak......the trail is about 1.5 miles east of Nf-1n02 off Hwy 38)

Got a call from Schwinn mid afternoon yesterday.....they'd just ridden across Gold Mtn and were wondering WTF they'd gotten themselves into :lol:.....also sounded like they were having a blast :) (insert thumbs up icon here)

From the moment I visited this cabin while Johnnybags was tourguiding me around South Big Bear, I KNEW we had to bring a group back..the trip was even better than I could have imagined....I may have STARTED this whole thing, and done a bit of organizing...no big deal really....but it came together with the efforts of sooo many....John for the reservation and much recon, Tracy for picking up the best mexican food ever, cooking the carne and bringing the stove (some carne is left, and will be brought to trophy's on the 26th)....Big Thanks to Z and Mike for all the help with shopping, cooking (what I would agree was the best pork ever, and awesome bacon croissants), and transporting most of the food, cablejockey for all the onsite tech/gps work as I was chopping/serving carne asada (btw John I have your tank bag and radio! ) , and EVERYONE for chipping in and helping where needed,, etc etc etc......I arrived about 10 am on Friday (couldn't WAIT)....and just got home about 2 pm monday, today...Great riding (lollipop only for me on my SHORT KLX, as I've been nursing a badly sprained knee since injuring it in a crash up at big bear 3 weeks ago) Luckily No problems with knee........so I'm back riding again!... I will definitely be planning more trips like this, here and elsewhere.....

FRIDAY: Arrival, initial greetings, CARNE ASADA FEAST

P9100007.jpg

P9100002.jpg

P9100003.jpg

P9100004.jpg

P9100006.jpg

P9100008.jpg

P9100009.jpg

P9100013.jpg

IRONMAN SHARED real war stories after dinner>.....THANKS MAN for serving us and our country......and other countries, for FREEDOM!

P9100015.jpg

P9100016.jpg

more to follow later

SATURDAY

(Forgot to mention Friday was a beautiful star filled night, and no one may have caught a pic of the twinkling view of palm springs area below the cabin site...it was scenic......The night got pretty COOOOOOLD - like in the 20's)....I was happy:D I packed the flannel sheets and down comforter for my air mattress.....cozy and worth the extra packing and much more comfortable than the mummy bag....I recommend that approach to camping.

So I woke up at 5, got up at 6, made coffee, and we enjoyed a continental breakfast and a leisurely time around camp. Then from 8:30 til 10:30, many groups headed out to ride...It was nice to see everyone relaxed....no "rushing to gear up and head out by 6:30 am"...which of course has it's place sometimes...but the visiting and chatting at camp was as good as the riding this trip..(guess it ALSO could be those margaritas I served on Friday Night....forgot about that;) )....

Nice to see Hoss, and then Scwinn and company show up and head out for the day ride.(they enjoyed more luxurious accomodations in town for the weekend, but Great to see them join us)...

We cleaned up camp and my group (being some of the hosts)...headed out later than most, I rode with Mistress, Baldbeemer, Cmayer31 and KLRscumbag (who rides a DRZ BTW:blink: ).....We had a leisurely & scenic (as most of Big Bear is) 85 mile day.....Great group to ride with..HAD to have a burger at 7 OAKS..(loved the lunch pic Z)......Thanks Guys and gal....then as everyone trickled back to camp, We enjoyed an amazing pulled pork dinner that Mike, Baldbeemer specializes in with homemade coleslaw by the mistress...Another GREAT day complete, and a bit warmer night....the hot chocolate with peppermint schapps and whipped cream topped off the day.....mmmmmm...curiously -_- Everyone went to bed a bit earlier saturday too?...MORE PICS....

sunrise, breakfast and most of the group at the cabin....

P9110017.jpg

P9110019.jpg

P9110020.jpg

P9110021.jpg

P9110022.jpg

P9110023.jpg

P9110024.jpg

P9110026.jpg

P9110028.jpg

MORE PICS SOON.....

SATURDAY RIDE PICS....THE 2N93 and Horse Meadow, one of my favorite roads up there....then down 1N06 to 7 OAKS FOR LUNCH....

P9110029.jpg

P9110030.jpg

P9110033.jpg

P9110031.jpg

P9110036.jpg

Met up with the Trophy, Ironman, Hoss, Strega, klxguy...? group along the way...

P9110034.jpg

P9110035.jpg

P9110037.jpg

P9110038.jpg

P9110039.jpg

P9110042.jpg

water still running in September....Nice

P9110045.jpg

SATURDAY EVENING..

(terrible pic...sorry, but had to post up and give mike props again for the pork.....we need to "hire" him to do an sdar event with this stuff.....sooooo tasty....)

P9110050.jpg

P9110051.jpg

P9110052.jpg

sooo wish I had a pic of the night view from camp.....the lights of the city below....the millions of stars....the crisp and quiet mountain air....that you can breath so deep....rejuvenating.

SUNDAY

Had the pleasure of riding with Johnnybags, Pyro, Don Johnson, and the HAMMER......thanks for taking me along guys....(I think they were tired enough from Gold Mountain, Track and a half, and other more challenging adventures on Saturday....so they didn't mind the more relaxing (and knee rehab) FOX pace on Sunday....we still did about 60 miles in a little more than 2 hours...so I guess it wasn't outrageously slow .....Thankfully, I think I'm getting faster!.....A little......

MAKE SURE YOU WATCH ALL THE GUYS' VIDEOS TO BE POSTED LATER....THEY ARE AWESOME....

P9120054.jpg

P9120058.jpg

JOHN, DON AND CRAIG headed up the VISTA TRAIL (videos to come)

(a little too challenging for me with a bad knee so we split for a little while....thanks Pyro for hanging with me til we met up again).....

P9120060.jpg

P9120061.jpg

P9120062.jpg

and LOVE the ADVrider salute by Pyro on the KLX no less.....classic....:torch:

P9120064.jpg

Another Great SDAR event! Thanks Deb for putting it together,, and putting up with all of us! I have a bunch of pictures that look like everyone else's except this one,, so I'll post it up!

poppers.jpg

We went through about 6 pounds of these bad boys!

Another Great SDAR event! Thanks Deb for putting it together,, and putting up with all of us! I have a bunch of pictures that look like everyone else's except this one,, so I'll post it up!

poppers.jpg

And along with that 6 pounds (that were delicious btw..thanks tracy) a bunch of FIRE SALSA Tracy brought ....we also went through about 6 ROLLS of toilet paper....(.so glad I decided to bring extra !!!):heh::lol::huh:

poppers.jpg

And along with that 6 pounds (that were delicious btw..thanks tracy) a bunch of FIRE SALSA Tracy brought ....we also went through about 6 ROLLS of toilet paper....(.so glad I decided to bring extra !!!):heh::lol::huh:

She's not kidding.

post-13540-017815700 1284427194_thumb.jp

poppers.jpg

Between the poppers, the salsa(s) and the 8 tacos, I was VERY glad I had the toybox with the flush toilet!

Let me start with a great big THANKX to all, it was a super weekend . everything went sooooo well. Being a great story teller (NOT) I will go streight to the good stuff

Gold MTN start

http://contour.com/node/110203

Vista trail

http://contour.com/node/110229

http://contour.com/node/110206

http://contour.com/node/110212

Found this friday eve

post-13333-050624400 1284432696_thumb.jp

post-13333-030582900 1284432751_thumb.jp

Gold mountain bluff

post-13333-064755800 1284432820_thumb.jp

cruzin the mountain

post-13333-050212000 1284432892_thumb.jp

Gumby's new chair

post-13333-014818900 1284432978_thumb.jp

well thankx again

DON

Thanks to all who participated in this event. Everything went off with out a hitch. Extra thanks to Strega, Hoss314, Ironman and Trophyhunter for there help with the flat. I can't wait to do something like this again.

Let me start with a great big THANKX to all, it was a super weekend . everything went sooooo well. Being a great story teller (NOT) I will go streight to the good stuff

Gold MTN start

http://contour.com/node/110203

Vista trail

http://contour.com/node/110229

http://contour.com/node/110206

http://contour.com/node/110212

Awesome vids DON. It was a pleasure riding with you.

Can't wait to return the favor in Kern?

I've got yours and Hammer's vids on my computer. I'll do some editing to music and send you a link.

Again, much thanks to Deb, Tracy, Zara, Mike.........and buford for keeping the bears away.

And ALL that showed.

Otherwise it would have been just Deb, Pyro and I hanging at a boring no frills cabin.

Gold mountain bluff

Next time......stay to the FAR RIGHT in this spot and ride up just to the left of the tree trunk (that you can't see in this photo)......trust me :)

Next time......stay to the FAR RIGHT in this spot and ride up just to the left of the tree trunk (that you can't see in this photo)......trust me :)

I know exactly what you're talking about, the line that goes over the roots to the left of the tree (not shown in pic). I almost tried it, but there were big chunks of broken glass at the takeoff spot (beer bottles :angry2:). To the left of the roots was all jacked up from 4x4's digging holes. Also there was a low branch blocking so with all that combined + no health insurance, I decided not to try it. :dead:

good stuff

Great videos Don! :coolio:

Ohhh but that 5% felt so gooood!

You were killin' it on that thing! It looked like a lot of fun.

I know exactly what you're talking about, the line that goes over the roots to the left of the tree (not shown in pic).

Yep ;)

I would like to thank all of you that went. The entire weekend was spectacular. I was greeted with fresh hot carne asada at my window when I pulled up Fri. Had a fantastic ride Sat and greeted with a icy cold beverage when I arrived back at camp after the ride. I was blown away at the hospitality and comradery everyone displayed the whole weekend. Food was delicious and in abundance. For me, the best club event yet!

Gold mountain bluff

You mean over here

post-13333-037386600 1284493438_thumb.jp

Want some more videos? Here are links to the videos Craig shot with his helmet cam. Some of the highlights include a sick hill climb on Gold Mtn at the beginning of 'Saturday1', and an exciting crash sequence on Vista around 1 min 30sec into the 'Sunday1' movie. Glad you survived it unscathed Craig. It was a lot of fun riding with you again, and all you good people on this trip. Thanks again for everything. And now let us continue with today's feature presentation: Smiley31-1.gif

Video Links:

(( Edit- View these in HD! I posted a quick tutorial here ==>YouTube_HD tutorial ))

Where is the 7 Oaks restaurant? I've been looking for a lunch spot on the south side of the Lake. I'm assuming it's somewhere between the 38 and Clarks Grade since I see Seven Oaks on the map. Maybe off the 1N04 or 1N34? Any help will be appreciated.

CoonCabin2010006.jpg

Where is the 7 Oaks restaurant? I've been looking for a lunch spot on the south side of the Lake. I'm assuming it's somewhere between the 38 and Clarks Grade since I see Seven Oaks on the map. Maybe off the 1N04 or 1N34? Any help will be appreciated.

38 & Mt Home Creek Rd. (north side) or nf-1wo7 (south side)

Baldbeemer and I took the 38 to Glass Road to Seven Oaks Road to get to Seven Oaks Resort (all pavement). We took Radford Camp Road to Front Line Road to get back to the 38 (all dirt).

This is Goldmine on Sunday.If you guys went a little farther over that ledge about a 1/2 mile you would have found the Quarry.The last pic is the exit then its on to John Bull Trail.