Sign in to follow this  
christi20

D37 Grand Prix

I have not been very active in D37 over the past couple years. But, I have always loved the GP races. And when it came to Cahuilla, I just had to race it. I figured I might have an advantage since it is like my home track.

In D37 a GP is a 45 minute race that incorporates motocross tracks and offroad sections (sometimes pavement). There is no practice. The offroad sections were cut the day before behind the motocross tracks. They were super tight.

In leiu of practice you can enter the "unclassified Race". It's the first race of the day (7:30am) and is a no points race. Basically a paid practice. But, everyone and their mother is entered and your starting position depends on when you entered. CRAZY. So, I was on line 5 of 12 rows. My plan was just to do one lap to get a feel for the layout. It's a very long lap. Times were from 10-12 minutes per lap. I felt pretty good right off the bat. The course was awesome and fresh! My only incident was when some guy comes barrelling down the hill on the mx track and bumps me over into the next berm! Scary, but I saved it. I tried to get off the track after one lap but couldn't find the exit. I ended up doing two laps on that race.

My real race was the third race and was run after the quads. I was so freaking nervous. So many people! I was really worried about the start. It was a huge sweeping banked turn but soft in spots and it got narrow quick. I was on row 2 behind the experts. I HAD to get out front off my row or be burried. Amazingly I did get a good start (after a huge fishtail) and got to the turn in 4th place or so. By lap two I was getting a groove but the course was getting so technical. Deep silty whoops out in the brush with super tight offcamber turns. Dust made it crazy. People were crashing everywhere. I stalled on a tight corner on lap 3. The oncoming racers could not see me because of the brush and I got hit twice on the back of my arm by handlebars. It hurt! I have a monster bruise now. I am getting super tired now, but finally the white flag is out. I know I passed some girls who crashed and I didn't lose many spots when I stalled. But, of course I stall it in the chicane. Guys behind me are yelling at me to get out of the way, but of course there is barely room for one bike in that section. I am finally able to move my bike against a bush to restart it and let a couple racers by. The motocross section of the course is the only place I can take a breath. And I can make up time here. I felt pretty good about my performance at the end, but I was absolutely SPENT. I am not in the shape I was 4 years ago.

So, I just checked the results and I am sooooo happy with my finish. I ended up 15th overall out of 86 riders in my race. I won my women's intermediate class. I also finished ahead many girls that I know are faster than me (and 20 years younger) because they crashed a lot. I rode smart. That strategy worked! Tooting my own here I guess, but I am proud of this race.

I don't have photos right now, but I am expecting some soon. There's one on my facebook.

This was by far the most fun GP I have ever raced. I love Cahuilla again.

Good job on riding a smart race and taking the win!applause.gif

I can attest to big bruise Christi got....saw it yesterday. :o

great job,,,to finish first first you must finish. Just dont like when folks at the amateur level are punting riders off course from them riding over their own heads. Glad it was an injury free fun but challenging ride! See ya at the naT

Way to go Chrisit! :D Sorry you got in a pileup! I know you have such awesome skills on a bike, no surprise that you did so well! Congrats!!!