TrophyHunter

C & D Kearny/Clmnt Mesa

I had outstanding service from Steve and his team 2 years ago which is why I went back. DRZ400 with some issues, admittedly linked to my son working on the bike, went to C&D a few weeks ago. They were given a list of things done to it (full valve replacement {which I found out had been done 500 miles before the "other" shop recommended it cuz they could "see light" coming through the valves - BS - in all fairness, one valve was bent by an object dropped into the intake on the rejet and needed to be done...not all of 'em though}, jet kit, etc) and the problems (won't stay running for more than 10 minutes, won't idle, etc). Picked the bike up and it started right up...for about 30 seconds...then it was done.

Being E-start only, the battery went quickly trying for a restart. Did a trickle charge overnight and tried again. No luck. Had to load it up and take it back instead of going riding as planned. Even though I paid for a carb clean and the "won't run, won't idle" was given to 'em, evidently on re-check, the backfire valve spring was missing in the carb and the diaphram was damaged (admittedly prolly not a standard check item, but it still wasn't running right).

I asked if they test ride the bikes or let them idle for a bit after completion...."we run 'em up and down the alley".....well my take on that is it's not enough. The DRZ didn't run when I brought it home & I had to take it back...obviously "up & down the alley" isn't a good test.

Since we're trying to do a father/son ride on Monday, I had them put a new 606 on the front as the tire on there was more 50/50 and a 606 is more appropriate for upcoming rides. Picked up the bike today and although I haven't taken it for a ride, they did and gave it a thumbs up. Hoping for the best. I asked for the old front tire and was told it went with the "tire guy" this morning. Great, a Metzler Enduro 3 ( $125 new) with 75% life left in it gone. I didn't ask them to save it and they didn't ask if I wanted them to, but it wasn't like it was down to 20%.....not happy.

I also took my WR in for a full service/season prep as I'm just running out of time. I asked for the o-ring (Taffy) mod on the carb since it was going to be out for cleaning. I still have to pull a side plate to see if it happened because it still has the off idle bog ( o-ring is put on the accel pump linkage to shorten the squirt duration to lean out the initial whack on the throttle - eliminating the bog). Bike ran well other than that but the chain wasn't adjusted properly.

When I picked up the DRZ today, I wanted to run some errands in that area but had to pass. A guy had been dropped off to pick up his road bike after being told it was ready but it wouldn't run right....so it had to stay. (problem was, his ride left and couldn't come back) I skipped my errands and gave the guy a ride back to his work cuz he was on his lunch hour. Nobody at C & D offered to give him a ride and it was their error.

I'm down about $700 and just hope everything functions now. I just don't have the confidence it will.....which sucks.

I know some here are friends with Steve but this stuff can't continue if he expects repeat business.

I want a shop where I can literally pick my bike up and take it riding. Still searching.

See now....this is the reason I don't let anybody else touch my bikes.

If I had your expertise, I wouldn't either. I just run out of time trying to gain some & want to ride. Or try to.

I know what it's like though. I wanted to rebuild the crank on my KDX200 back in 2000 (the second time for the little critter). I have a 20 ton press, the crank holding tool and the balancing stand, but doing that work without a crank jig is frustrating and time consuming, so after I took the engine completely apart, I asked around for somebody reliable to do the rebuild work. All the dealers in town told me that they used this place in Escondido. I checked the cylinder while I was at it and decided that it could use a replating. I went over and chatted with the shop owner about my bike. I wanted a certain tolerance on the cylinder and told him what year model my bike was, then handed over the parts. A couple of weeks went by and he finally called me to come get my parts. I put the whole engine back together, bolted into the frame and went to kick it over. The kickstarter stopped dead halfway through the stroke. Frantic, I removed the exhaust and head, then gave the kickstarter a little prod. Sure enough, the piston peeked up over the top of the head gasket about three millimeters. The guy put in the wrong rod. <_< I was hopping mad....took the engine back out, disassembled it, pressed the crank back out and carted it back to the shop. He whined about "You must have told me the wrong year model...." and the crank disappeared for another week. I measured the replacement against the old one, threw it on the truing stand and measured the runout and the side clearance before pressing the assembly back into the motor. Then I decided that I better check his cylinder work too, since the crank went so bad. The cylinder had more than 4 thousandths worth of clearance and a taper as well (it was a s bad as when I took it in to him!). :angry2: I carted that back to him and told him he better get it right or I would contest the credit card charges. He sniveled about "You can't use a feeler gauge to check..." I told him I had used a micrometer and a dial bore gauge (and actually a feeler gauge can be used). It took about two months to get my beloved Bentley back together and running again while I was fussing around, playing pattycake with this idiot.

And yes, he and his shop aren't around anymore. Imagine that! :coolio:

That's a bummer to hear that about C&D, always been fair with me. I hope that's an isolated incident.

Me too.....but mine, followed by the other customer...hmmmmm

I think one of your bikes was in there and I know the shop's been great in the past. We'll see.

Even though I bought the tire there, I still got charged $35 for mounting & balancing - I talked Steve into $5 off. Compare that to Lemon Grove Cycle where I took the tires & wheels in and was charged $20 each for the same service... 70% more...at C&D..?

I have always done my own work on my cars, boats and bikes. The only thing I farm out is machine shop work. I have a couple of good machine shops I use. Racer's Machine in Escondido and Motoworks in San Diego (National City). The latter is equiped to build almost any part you may need themselves.

Me too.....but mine, followed by the other customer...hmmmmm

I think one of your bikes was in there and I know the shop's been great in the past. We'll see.

Even though I bought the tire there, I still got charged $35 for mounting & balancing - I talked Steve into $5 off. Compare that to Lemon Grove Cycle where I took the tires & wheels in and was charged $20 each for the same service... 70% more...at C&D..?

Yeah that seems a bit much...Yeah my 620 is there, and hoping to get it back this week.

Off the bike mounting is FREE if you buy a tire through Bob and Pat at Ramona Cycle supply........they don't stock much in terms of dualsport tires.....call'em to check stock and/or have them order a specific tire before driving up with your wheel.....

Ken,

Not a single complaint about the service at Vey's in El Cajon. I'm always nervous when I drop off my vehicle for service anywhere, but those guys have been great. I drop it off, they inspect and order parts, call me and tell me that it'll be XX days for parts and "if you want to get your bike and go ride then bring it back later, come and get it... They're also pretty close to you. El Cajon or Lemon Grove.

I have had a mixed bag of luck with C&D since you mentioned them to me.

Race Prep... AWESOME, but easy.

I had some issues to include a weeping case cover, that I could watch oil drip through, they could find no problem.

I jacked up my starter motor and asked them to look and see if it needed to be replaced, they did the work for less than I could have and fixed a coupl of other things I was going to do when I got the bike back, but they forgot to re-attach the shift lever they removed.

They are a mixed bag, but when you don't have the time or need a second opinion they are OK. I think I am sticking with MotoWorld, they are out of the way but take really good care of me.

Son Danny picked up his DRZ from my house today. He wasn't happy they tossed his front tire. Partially my fault for not specifying I wanted them to keep it. They didn't ask either. I called and explained my position to Brian....."yeah, that was a bad deal, most of the time the tires sit here for up to two weeks". I thought I might get somewhere after that comment. Steve was busy.

Steve called me back today and discussed the issue. We went from "it's your fault for not telling us to keep it....if we kept every tire we take off, we'd have a room full of tires". In all fairness, I agree with this theory if the tire is obviously worn past using it....the tire on the DRZ had 75% left in it.....which Steve disagreed with. Moot point...I was looking at the rear I pulled off this morning and it had 50-60% left so the front obviously had more.

No credit to my card to be had....."I'll sell you a tire at my cost" was the offer. Fair in a way as I didn't tell them to keep it......not so much when I can get it for less thru Bike Bandit. Either way, it's gonna cost me as Danny was getting a second wheel set to commute on so the 606's can be used for their purpose. I get to replace the front tire he would have had since I handled the transaction while he was out on field exercises in preparation for deployment.

On the bright side.....once we got his rear 606 mounted today, we drove to Lemon Grove Cycle and Chris balanced it on the spot for $5. Love that kinda place.

.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Danny made it about 3 miles. Done, No restart.

soooooooooooo tempted to call a club bonfire....bring a chair, a cooler of your favorite beverages......I'll bring the matches.

Frickin' Frackin $%#*^&

.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Danny made it about 3 miles. Done, No restart.

soooooooooooo tempted to call a club bonfire....bring a chair, a cooler of your favorite beverages......I'll bring the matches.

Frickin' Frackin $%#*^&

Goosfraba, goosfraba.

Thx Mike, I needed that. Hey, were you the guy who drove by yelling "move your a$$, dip$h!T...?" ;):);)

If he commuting, has he thought a SM wheels?

I have a set for the DRZ with SM forks for a good price to a good home.

My 2 cents,,or 3 cents however it may be counted.

Nothing but A+ dealings with the crew at C&D from the smaller before to the new and improved larger expanded shop.RN

Steve called me Friday and wants to make it right. Short version: Glad to work with the shop as I like supporting the private folks so the DRZ will be going back in at "no charge" (in all fairness, I would never expect Steve to pay for things that are broken if they find any - that's my responsibility).

We'll hope for the best and I'm pretty confident the situation will correct itself after our conversation.