Czechsix

FNG from San Diego/Vista area.....

Yeah, I kinda go between the two areas, San Diego (actually UC area), and Vista.

Anyways, after a few years hiatus from bikes (ok, more like fifteen or so years away), I grabbed one of the XR400's that was on CL. It was the '98 for $1900, got it for $1750. Plated bike, with some goodies on it - FMF pipe, skid plate, top triple is set for a dampener, lowering link (removing that one...) and I'll add a few other things as time goes on (dampener, desert tank, might fair it Rally/Raid style). It's at Clairemont Cycle Supply now, getting new tires on it, and new fork springs for my weight. Jamie at CCS said it looked pretty clean, not abused, so that's a good thing. The last time I had a bike it was a custom desert bike - bored XR350 motor, CR500 front end, RM250 rear, etc etc. Nice bike, had a Wiseco kit in it that I leaned out a bit, and that was the end of that kit. Sold it years back to some local guys, hope they restored it...who knows, maybe they're on this forum?

A few friends of mine that the wife and I head out to the desert with have a cabin up in Landers, and they're all SCORE racers - from Class 50, to bugs, and whatever else. They've had some success before class 50 too, in the years past. Third place at the 1000. So I've played around on their 650's, and finally decided to get my own bike, but I figured a 400 was plenty of bike for me, and I like the XR's. Not going to race, just like to trail ride and explore. XR should be perfect for that.

Also into 4x4's (have a '86 Suburban with a Cummins and one or two other bits in it, F350 daily driver), Ham radio (general class), and shooting. Plus all sorts of other stuff. Like a Rokon Trailbreaker. Used to import Unimogs too, still deal a bit in military surplus.

I'm really enjoying reading the ride reports and seeing the different areas that are still available. Big difference from thirty years ago though. I rode from age 12 or so, up to my mid thirties. I'm old and decrepit now though.

So howdy, and I'm looking forward to learning some new things here.

Hopefully not in the city of Vista. Me no likey city of Vista politics and rules. I got a place off warmlands that is a thorn in my side.

welcome to SDAR

Rokon Trailbreaker....! You're in. In my small feeble mind, an interesting mount. Plenty of rides, folks to ride with, etc. here so join a ride or post up. Great background.....

Welcome aboard!

mk2logo.jpg

I rode from age 12 or so, up to my mid thirties. I'm old and decrepit now though.

:unsure: Hmmmm, then I must be dead.

Well, welcome to the club.

Hopefully not in the city of Vista. Me no likey city of Vista politics and rules. I got a place off warmlands that is a thorn in my side.

welcome to SDAR

Heh. Yep, guess what? I'm on Mar Vista - I'm city, and right behind me is county. I get to see the county side and wish all the time, lol. City of Vista is something else, ain't it?

Thanks for the welcome

I rode from age 12 or so, up to my mid thirties. I'm old and decrepit now though.

:unsure: Hmmmm, then I must be dead.

Well, welcome to the club.

Well, there's various stages of decrepitude. I think I'm in the mid stages, but I'll get back to you on that in twenty years or so, when I'll really be whining.

Welcome, and please, whatever you do, don't ride like BikeSlut.

So....is there, like, a Bikeslut award to avoid or something? :D

So....is there, like, a Bikeslut award to avoid or something? :D

I don't know, but there should be. If you search far enough back in the ride reports you will be amazed! LOL That said, I wouls be stoked to one day earn that award

Howdy TL, looks like plenty of guys up in NC.

Just got the bike back from CCS, took the first ride over to a buddies beemer shop in San Marcos. New rubber, rejetted for the pipe, new fork springs, time to ride. I'm outa shape hehe. Sore. It's good.

Bike looks like low hours, has some goodies on it, but nothing overboard. Have to add a fin to it, and get some disc protection, maybe a desert tank later on.

post-14220-026113600 1282851387_thumb.jp

post-14220-040673500 1282851438_thumb.jp

Welcome to the club...great place, great people...and Fakename can sing up a storm if you're lucky enough to be wired to a radio with him! and for those of us with eos insurance through Spot....we COULD NOW venture as far as Bikeslut and not go bankrupt doing that.......(not that I recommend doing that)