KTMrad

New KTM Dealer in Town

GP Motorcycles, your local Husqvarna dealer, has now picked up the KTM line.

GP Motorcycles

Located on India Street between Sassafrass and Washington St. on east side of Interstate 5.

3617 India Street, Ste. B, San Diego, CA 92103

I believe this is a good move for them, as we need another really good KTM dealership and service shop in San Diego. They will get certified to work on the 950 Adventure..........another good move, since I don't trust anyone else in San Diego to work on my 950.

I recommend GP Motorcycles as I've been dealing with them personally for about 17 years, and have purchased 3 bikes from them.

I also understand that Rocket will no longer carry KTM or offer warranty service. Nor will they be able to order more parts, so may eventually not even offer paid service ... we'll see.

I also understand that Rocket will no longer carry KTM or offer warranty service. Nor will they be able to order more parts, so may eventually not even offer paid service ... we'll see.

Hijack on; will Rocket still be selling Husaberg? I would be interested in a Husaberg 2 stroke if they develop direct injection. Hijack off.

I think the KTM line will complement GP’s line up of off road / dual sport bikes quite well. While I still prefer the Husquavarna over the KTM I am not certain where BMW will take that brand. Will GP consider the BETA line as well?

Randy have you tried All-American in Ramona for your KTM service? He has treated me well so far.

Randy have you tried All-American in Ramona for your KTM service? He has treated me well so far.

There is no better KTM service in my opinion.

Looks like GP will not be carrying parts inventory for older bikes- that's disappointing:

We will likely not "stock" a large inventory of parts for older models,

however obtaining them should not be an issue.

Yeah, I can "obtain" them myself cheaper and possibly faster from Munn with the KTMtalk discount.

That seems odd to me. If they stocked parts for my bike, and I visited regularly (I use a lot of parts) then I am far more likely to buy a NEW bike from them.

I don't expect them to stock D level parts- but the basic service parts would be a good idea.

Well being new to the KTM scene, Good to hear all this...I haven't had any service needs yet, (I did buy filters and oil at all american) as I ride by to most destinations.

I'm with fakename though...wish GP wouldn't disciminate against the older bikes, parts etc.

Regarding All American: I can say this: RJ didn't know me at all, and yet went out of his way on a couple occasions to help me check out potential bikes, explain things to me, answer questions, answer calls, check vin #'s etc.etc...and he wasn't gaining anything from the deal....I felt he did it out of a sincere Love for these bikes and wanting people to be happy with what they purchased....Pretty cool to me...I've heard they can take a while for service, etc....but I'm a fan so far...

Agreed about AAKTM- but Ramona is so far away and GP is nearly a stone's throw.

My studio is 2 blocks from the original location and I always wanted to be cool enough to be a GP customer. They moved from my neighborhood many years ago to the 16th street location, and when they moved again to India Street the coolness drive became even stronger.

It's my hope that there are levels of parts inventory required by KTM for the franchise- similar to the inventory level currently carried by Rocket. That's been enough for most of the bits and pieces I need. After all, they will need to service KTMs, and therefore need some parts on hand.

I'm hopeful I can be their customer...do I need a tattoo?

;) wow a "fantasy island" reference...nice

fakey..i know it a bit of an up front cost, but have you considered ordering a full set of service items before you need them from gp then once you use a part, re-order one from gp for your own personal stock, that could save you time and any DOWN time...just an idea

;) wow a "fantasy island" reference...nice

fakey..i know it a bit of an up front cost, but have you considered ordering a full set of service items before you need them from gp then once you use a part, re-order one from gp for your own personal stock, that could save you time and any DOWN time...just an idea

Sure, I already do that. But things like water pump seals and carriers, sometimes chainguards or countersprocket bolts/washers need to be replaced unexpectedly. It's reasonable to expect a KTM dealer to stock these parts. The RFS motor has been used in millions of bikes over many model years.

I understand it's expensive to become a stocking parts dealer- I worked in the auto parts industry through colledge, collage, collagge, college's so I don't expect them to stock 5 sets of piston rings in 3 oversizes all the time. But several weeks ago I tried to buy some clutch friction plates. That's got to be an a level part- and nobody had them.

I'll just remain uncool.

Smiles, everybody, smiles!

I hear ya Paul... maybe it's just a matter of up-front costs, and they'll gradually stock more parts as the demand is obvious... there are probably DOZENS of older KTMs on the road, that still need parts on occasion, but they MAY figure it out, and start stocking parts as business dicatates

that's exactly what I would do if I ran a shop

I wouldn't expect a brand new dealership to all of a sudden have thousands of dollars of parts inventory on hand. I'm sure they will end up stocking certain, frequently used parts.

It's hard to even find an established dealership carrying lots of inventory nowadays.

If KTM is similar to the dealership where I worked, the inventory is divided into different levels based on shelf time. "A" level items were oil filters, spark plugs, oil filler sealing rings, door stops, clutches etc. As a dealership, we were required to stock a certain number of A items, and the brand would, in fact, finance that- they were items necessary to maintain the service department. After that, the cost to carry the slower B or C moving items on the shelf got more expensive, and a small dealer needed to manage it's cash carefully to avoid too many slow-moving items, but balancing that with customer service.

Most retail motorcycle shops do the bait/switch. How many times have you asked for a part and been told "I don't have it in stock, but can have it for your tomorrow?" That's because they don't have to pay for that part until they buy it from Southern or whatever distributor. And that makes sense from their perspective.

But I want my part, dammit, and if KTM does not provide their franchisees with enough dealer credit to carry a reasonable level of inventory, they will suffer in customer service. So there's a point of diminishing returns- too little investment risks customer dissatisfaction with the brand, too much risks cash-flow problems with a smaller (and maybe under-capitalized) dealership.

KTM needs to help their dealers do their job, and offer to carry a more generous share of the financial load to maintain customer satisfaction.

'cos I try, and I try, and I try, and I try , and I try,trytrytrytry- I can't get no

Fakey............the KTM and Husqvarna Reps will both be at the Club Meeting Tuesday the 20th.

Maybe a good time to voice your opinion to the KTM Rep !

I wouldn't expect a brand new dealership to all of a sudden have thousands of dollars of parts inventory on hand. I'm sure they will end up stocking certain, frequently used parts.

It's hard to even find an established dealership carrying lots of inventory nowadays.

All true. But KTM knows exactly which and how many parts move on a daily basis. It's in their best financial interest to minimize the number of parts sitting on shelves at a given time. I respect that.

But, there should be a certain minimum parts available to KTM customers at shops that carry the KTM brand. And it's KTM that should equip it's dealers with enough parts and inventory to maintain customer service as well as motorcycle sales.

It's entirely possible they'll do this when they setup GP as a dealer, and I'll make every effort to support them. I'd prefer to buy local, even if I pay a little more.

But based on the replies I received from GP, I'm not holding my breath, and keeping my bookmark for Munn Racing. And if I should ever buy a new bike, I'll show the same customer loyalty KTM has shown me. That is, I'll shop wherever I can get the best price, and my warranty repairs will come from wherever is easiest for me.

Sure, I already do that. But things like water pump seals and carriers, sometimes chainguards or countersprocket bolts/washers need to be replaced unexpectedly. It's reasonable to expect a KTM dealer to stock these parts. The RFS motor has been used in millions of bikes over many model years.

I understand it's expensive to become a stocking parts dealer- I worked in the auto parts industry through colledge, collage, collagge, college's so I don't expect them to stock 5 sets of piston rings in 3 oversizes all the time. But several weeks ago I tried to buy some clutch friction plates. That's got to be an a level part- and nobody had them.

I'll just remain uncool.

Smiles, everybody, smiles!

wow i cant believe they wont stock rfs parts...i could see not stocking lc4 parts or older 2t parts, but there are tons of rfs bikes out there.

and like someone said maybe they will start slowly building stock based on request and local needs.

anyone starting a company that provides service or parts/materials to customers should use a lost sale program to see what parts are requested so they can start to see what the need to stock and what they dont....

i agree the parts business is sucking these days on motorcycles...im not even finding really well stocked dealers on the japanese brands or sea-doos anymore.

my buddy needed a regular service part for his sea-doo and we went to a big local dealer and they said we had to order it, and that it only came in a 5 pack at 50 bucks even tho they had a single price each of 10bucks showing that they COULD choose to stock them and sell them 1 at a time....service is sucking more and more these days....

To be fair, they didn't say they would not stock rfs parts. But they also didn't say:

We are a new dealer, and we want to be sure to have the latest models and service parts for our customers. We also realize there are many loyal KTM legacy customers out there, and we want to be sure to cover your parts needs to the best of our abilities. We'll start working on stocking the most common parts right away, and eventually get a feel for the demands of our legacy customers. Above all, we appreciate your interest in being a customer, and please let us know if there's anything in particular you might need.

With that, I'd be happier.

But don't anyone get me wrong- I intend to support and encourage GP and their new KTM dealership.

All true. But KTM knows exactly which and how many parts move on a daily basis. It's in their best financial interest to minimize the number of parts sitting on shelves at a given time. I respect that.

But, there should be a certain minimum parts available to KTM customers at shops that carry the KTM brand. And it's KTM that should equip it's dealers with enough parts and inventory to maintain customer service as well as motorcycle sales.

It's entirely possible they'll do this when they setup GP as a dealer, and I'll make every effort to support them. I'd prefer to buy local, even if I pay a little more.

But based on the replies I received from GP, I'm not holding my breath, and keeping my bookmark for Munn Racing. And if I should ever buy a new bike, I'll show the same customer loyalty KTM has shown me. That is, I'll shop wherever I can get the best price, and my warranty repairs will come from wherever is easiest for me.

Hi guys Paul at GP here, not sure where the not stocking older parts came from but we would be happy to stock recommended parts for people thet want to do business with us, i have many vintage bikes and we have always been a place to get things that the other dealers stop dealing with, we are actually the only Ducati dealer that i know of in SOCAL that will work on the real old stuff. We will stock whatever we need to support the brand. Thanks for the kind words from the group, we are excited about carrying KTM! . Paul

Hi guys Paul at GP here, not sure where the not stocking older parts came from but we would be happy to stock recommended parts for people thet want to do business with us, i have many vintage bikes and we have always been a place to get things that the other dealers stop dealing with, we are actually the only Ducati dealer that i know of in SOCAL that will work on the real old stuff. We will stock whatever we need to support the brand. Thanks for the kind words from the group, we are excited about carrying KTM! . Paul

Excellent, thanks, and looking forward to spending $ there!

Well, not just spending $. Let's type "visiting".

Thanks for the personal shout, Paul!

Ahh, very nice to get a personal response from Paul the owner !

Thanks Paul !

GP is doing a shop ride on Sunday. It might be a good idea to get some KTM's out there and show support.

Paul has been very responsive to me. I have talked to him about some issues with a Husky and he is in contact with Husky America for me. Paul did not need to do any of this. I didn’t get the bike from him and he has plenty of employees that he could have shuttled me off to. But he took the time to talk to me in person and listen to my issues. I think he will work for your KTM parts and supplies. Another plus is riding to his shop is much cooler then going to broiling east county right now.

this is great news...i wish he was closer to me...im glad to hear we were mistaken on his stocking intents...

he will definately be on my list of places to call when i need big help....

thanx paul