KTMrad

Suggestions for Organizing Informal Rides

I've had some conversations with a few people about this topic, so here are my thoughts.

If you want to invite some people to ride with you, or organize an informal ride, it would be wise to post what type of ride it will be, what type of terrain involved, and if you're looking for only certain types of riders to go with you. This is to keep an inexperienced rider, a novice rider, or someone who just doesn't want to ride certain places, from getting in over their heads. This could prevent injuries, etc. and make the ride a better experience for everyone.

For example, if you want to go on a ride with minimal stops, and a fast paced ride, don't hesitate to mention that. If it's going to involve technical, difficult, challenging terrain, mention that also.

If you want novices, new or inexperienced riders to go along, than mention that also. Remember that you may have to wait and/or help out novice riders if you invite them along.

If you only want a few certain individuals to ride with, I suggest you send them PM's and discuss it amongst yourselves.

Remember, if you're an experienced rider, what may seem easy to you may be very difficult for a newer rider. Also, remember about the big Adventure Bikes....if someone is riding one, find out what they're experience level is because the big bikes are much harder to ride than the regular dualsports.

Riders are generally classed into 3 groups, I use this method:

Novice - new riders, people who don't have a lot of experience.

Intermediate - riders who have some experience, and have ridden many different types of terrain, and can ride difficult sections with minimal or no trouble.

Expert - riders who have many years of experience and have little or no trouble tackling all types of terrain.

Speed is not always a factor in determining ones riding level !!

When rating a trail or a ride, try to base it on how a new rider would consider the terrain:

Easy - just about anyone should be able to do it.

Challenging - easy for an experienced rider, but newer riders may have trouble.

Difficult - challenging for experienced riders, newer riders may want to stay away.

Most Difficult - difficult or challenging for experienced riders, newer riders should not go there unless with a more experienced riding partner.

Hope this all makes sense.

Nobody on this messageboard should become offended if they're not invited on a ride, or somebody wants to go on a fast-paced, difficult ride and don't want inexperienced riders with them. There will be plenty of rides posted for all levels to enjoy.

And for newer, less experienced riders.....the only way to get better is to ride a lot. Newer riders are welcome on many of our rides :huh:

Some of you will find that after time and riding with many of the different people here, you will find a good group of riders with similar riding style that you will be comfortable riding with often.

Thanks, and if anyone has something to add to this, please go ahead.

KTMrad

Thanks for the guidelines. I think they are very helpful suggestions. I’d like to add one more.

In the past there has been a lot of un-intentional thread hijacking. If someone posts an offer to ride on a specific day and route, we should avoid the temptation to respond with “I can’t go on that day but I could go on this date” or “Lets add such and such trail or area to the ride”. After these sorts of responses are posted the ride area, difficulty rating, start time, meeting place and all the other important ride parameters get muddied up with all the off topic posts. So, Please KEEP ON THREAD. You can always PM the original poster with your supplemental ideas. Or, you can offer up your own ride in another thread and just post a link to your ride in other ride threads when appropriate.

Thanks, stevehof

When riding with a group it helps,to keep things moving, to use the go straight unless someone is waiting at a trail split. Also I let everyone know YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RIDER BEHIND YOU. Another handy tip is to have a designated last rider.

I let everyone know YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RIDER BEHIND YOU. Another handy tip is to have a designated last rider.

I agree with you racerbill, someone must sweep and they should know the route in advance and be a good rider. Don't put the least experienced rider as sweep, you'll lose them. :D

It's very difficult to keep a thread 100% on topic. One way to allevite confusion is for the person who starts the thread to go back and edit the first post with all the relavent information:

Date

Drop Dead Leave Time

Start Location/Directions

Ride Summary

Novice/Intermediate/Expert

Easy/Challenging/Difficult/Most Difficult

=====

This way no matter what is posted, you can go back to who called the ride and see what the latest agreed information about the ride is. Keep post #1 of a thread updated!

This way no matter what is posted, you can go back to who called the ride and see what the latest agreed information about the ride is. Keep post #1 of a thread updated!

Great point Craig!

Another simple yet effective tip we used at the Jimmy Lewis School was "Leap-Frog".

1) Always wait for the rider behind you at every turn

2) When they're approaching waive at them & wait for them to waive back

No one gets lost that way and it's one method for occasionally ensuring everyone is all right. The "waiving" also lets you know the rider sees you at the turn, allowing you to take off early & him not eat as much dust.

If the "waive" is not returned then he either hasn't seen you or needs to regroup. Perhaps someone went down & he's coming for help. So if he doesn't waive, you don't go.

1) Always wait for the rider behind you at every turn

2) When they're approaching waive at them & wait for them to waive back

No one gets lost that way and it's one method for occasionally ensuring everyone is all right. The "waiving" also lets you know the rider sees you at the turn, allowing you to take off early & him not eat as much dust.

If the "waive" is not returned then he either hasn't seen you or needs to regroup. Perhaps someone went down & he's coming for help. So if he doesn't waive, you don't go.

using this method, ultimately, everyone travels at the same speed of the slowest person.

You may be waiting longer, but each section takes the same amount of time to arrive/leave as the slowest person.

So I just wait until the person comes right up to me, have a quick chat, and then move on.

Since I find that being in a hurry to get off can lead to mistakes (both by me, and the follower) and I'm just going to be sitting still longer at the next split anwyay....

So I just wait until the person comes right up to me, have a quick chat, and then move on.

Since I find that being in a hurry to get off can lead to mistakes (both by me, and the follower) and I'm just going to be sitting still longer at the next split anwyay....

Well how about you just give me the HP2 and we'll call it even? Seriously, I think it could make your life more gratifying ... so think about it :angry:

You can wait for a rider to catch up and chat, but he'll likely wait a while after you leave so he's not eating your dust. Doing this at every turn can add a lot of time to a ride. It also can be quite hot and uncomfortable sitting still rather than keeping cool by constantly moving. Quite often the approaching rider can make eye contact WAY before he gets to you. Exchanging waives keeps the ride time less, solves the dust eating problem, and regulates body temperature better.

i think a good idea would be to put the date of the ride in the title so it is clear which rides are in the past and which ones are upcoming.

i think a good idea would be to put the date of the ride in the title so it is clear which rides are in the past and which ones are upcoming.

Well, technically, if a ride is in the past, then there shouldn't be any more posts about it in the Informal Rides section / Upcoming Rides....because almost anything relevant to that ride after it happened should be posted in the Ride Reports forum, since it would be about a ride that already happened.

I know some people like to respond in the wrong forum to a ride that already happened because it's easier than starting a new post in the ride reports forum.

I don't really care since this is just a "technicality" and Admin / Moderators won't whine about minor technicalities.....BUT, now you see why posting in the proper forums makes it easier to keep track of what's going on !!

Enough said :)

Well, technically, if a ride is in the past, then there shouldn't be any more posts about it in the Informal Rides section / Upcoming Rides....because almost anything relevant to that ride after it happened should be posted in the Ride Reports forum
In addition, I think it's a good idea to "close out" threads in "Informal rides" so people stop posting, like I did here:

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...=1196&st=30

I have a suggestion for Organizing Informal Rides... how about "stickies" for the closest local areas... a short description of driving directions, amenities, sticker requirements, and trail ratings/suggestions.

Thumpertalk has a "Where to Ride" section that includes a googlemap, and brief description...

just a thought; it seems new guys are asking for directions a lot. Too many threads to weed through if you do a search

(ps... I can PIN the topic if people seem to agree with me)

I have a suggestion for Organizing Informal Rides... how about "stickies" for the closest local areas... a short description of driving directions, amenities, sticker requirements, and trail ratings/suggestions.

Thumpertalk has a "Where to Ride" section that includes a googlemap, and brief description...

just a thought; it seems new guys are asking for directions a lot. Too many threads to weed through if you do a search

(ps... I can PIN the topic if people seem to agree with me)

If we do this, let's make it in the Members Only Forums. I'll start a new forum there for Places To Ride.

I think not making it in the public forum is better, so the Enviro Whackos don't have directions to where we go riding.

Where have all these intellects gone? Are we All subject to the Dustbin of Time?  Well obviously, It is just a matter of,,,, 

Bags - The Governor of Anza Borrego

😎   🤓