Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

RIDE CANCELED 3rd Annual Troy Meadows trip

THIS RIDE HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST/RESPONSE.

Time once again for our annual trip to the Sequoias. Always on weekdays so that we have the whole place to ourselves more or less.

225 miles north of Escondido, a 5 or 6 hour drive to be sure.

9 Mile Road is a narrow steep and winding route for about what the name of the road is, but most motorhomes can make it alright.

Camping will be at 7800 ft, so if you and high altitudes don't get along, this is not the ride for you.

Weather could be almost anything. Two years ago it rained almost every day with daytime temps in the 70s and nights in the 50s. Strangely we were not allowed to have a campfire that year. Last year the daytime temps were in the 80s and the night temps were in the 40s. It was windy, dry and dusty. Strangely, we were allowed to have a campfire that year.

Trails can be easy, but there are lots of intermediate level singletrack trails up there. Smaller bikes do nicely. Red sticker machines are legal. Bikes may require rejetting to run nicely at altitude.

There is no fuel, cell service or internet up on the Kern Plateau. There is a general store with a burger stand not too far from the campgrounds. There are no motels or cabins. The nearest gas station is at Linney on the desert floor.

There might be some trout fishing this year.

Due to all the posts that were made last year by folks discussing the trip that weren't actually planning on going, I hope that I will mainly get responses from people who are planning to go, so that there will be less difficulty trying to sift through posts looking for the ones that will give me the information that I need on who plans to go. I already know that some of the people from last year don't want to make the trip this year or can't make it at the time I have proposed.

Cool! I plan on doing this trip again this year but without the toyhauler trailer. Going to camp out of the back of my Ranger. Who else is going?

Tami (woodschick) and her husband Eric were supposed to go, but then Eric had the misfortune of breaking his shoulder on a Nevada dualsport ride last week, so he is out. Woodsie still wants to go though. So I need to see who else is going to go. I'm sure there will be a few more riders interested in this trip. What did we have last year, about 7 or 8? 5 or 6 will be a nice sized group. So we are half way there.

I really want to go. Briana really wants to go too. But she has another trip planned for that week I think. I will do my best to come and at least stay 2 or 3 nights camping like last time. It was probably my favorite riding area I've ever been too!!!! I'm excited already! I have a small toy hauler with beds and $hitter that I could bring but my little truck might not like towing up that monster hill ;)

I sure would like to go but I don`t think I`ll be ready to ride yet. Maybe I`ll just go to camp.

I sure would like to go but I don`t think I`ll be ready to ride yet. Maybe I`ll just go to camp.

Not a bad idea. One of our group did that last year. It's just quiet up there and if we camp near the trout creek this time, you could always get in a bit of fishing. The camping is free where we go.

Dang, that sounds like fun but we will be in Florida that week. Have fun.

Sounds like a great trip, would really to ride there but will be back in Wales racing most of July.

Due to all the posts that were made last year by folks discussing the trip that weren't actually planning on going, I hope that I will mainly get responses from people who are planning to go, so that there will be less difficulty trying to sift through posts looking for the ones that will give me the information that I need on who plans to go. I already know that some of the people from last year don't want to make the trip this year or can't make it at the time I have proposed.

I would like to know if the dates are set? Also where were camping etc.

Dates are set. We usually camp at Troy Meadows overflow, but MCtrails found a place where the trout are practically right in the campsite which I'd like to go to maybe.

Dates are set. We usually camp at Troy Meadows overflow, but MCtrails found a place where the trout are practically right in the campsite which I'd like to go to maybe.

Bummer on the early July dates, I can't make it this year maybe next.

Looks like Woodschick will get there earlier (on the weekend) and that Eric will come along too, although his injury will be preventing him from riding. They will have two of their friends, Dan and Glen with them as well. She couldn't get the same dates off from work as the ones I posted, so there will be an overlap of a day or two between our two groups.

What's the latest plan for this ride? I'm doing the Stewards of the Sierra benefit ride 9 - 12 July and was toying with the idea of hitting your ride the days prior. I'd probably go up on Monday, the 5th, ride with the gang through early Thursday, the 8th - then head into town to do some laundry and work my way closer to Bass Lake to meet up with Crawdaddy and gang Friday.

I'd probably just tent it rather than drag the toyhauler all the way up to Bass Lake and then over to Sacramento for a meeting I need to attend the week after.

Who's in so far? I'm not a definite - depends on how my bike fares this weekend in Big Bear mostly - I'm out of town next week so won't have much time for repairs prior to Bass Lake - so that week may be maintenance week for me! :angel:

So far it looks like Alan, Brad, myself and Woodschicks gang. Anybody else?

I'm not going but just an FYI.

From Thumpertalk and my Stewards newsletter.

As of this weekend, most of the lower elevation trails are open. The Forest Service is expected to work the remainder of the "dead end" trails (ie. Rattlesnake creek and Rincon) later this week and over the weekend. There is still quite a bit of drifted snow above 8500' and it may be a few more weeks before those trails are open. The water tank that supplies water to the Troy Meadows campgrounds has sprung a leak and there isn't water there. As of this weekend, the Fish Creek campgrounds do have water.

Enjoy

I'm down to go on the Sequoia trip. I don't have a truck so if anyone has any extra space for me/my bike that would be awesome...if not no problem I'd just ride my bike up there...

I'm not going but just an FYI.

From Thumpertalk and my Stewards newsletter.

As of this weekend, most of the lower elevation trails are open. The Forest Service is expected to work the remainder of the "dead end" trails (ie. Rattlesnake creek and Rincon) later this week and over the weekend. There is still quite a bit of drifted snow above 8500' and it may be a few more weeks before those trails are open. The water tank that supplies water to the Troy Meadows campgrounds has sprung a leak and there isn't water there. As of this weekend, the Fish Creek campgrounds do have water.

Enjoy

I spent last weekend riding there.

Except for Sherman Pass, most snow drifts were cut in and do-able.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902233

The tank at Troy Meadows is fixed and there is plenty of water.

Plenty of mosquitoes!

Mimi, I saw lots of trout hitting the surface of the creek for bugs and saw some big boils behind the beaver dam.

Sunday I saw you in your Ranger on I-15 on my way back from there.

Mimi, I saw lots of trout hitting the surface of the creek for bugs and saw some big boils behind the beaver dam.

Sunday I saw you in your Ranger on I-15 on my way back from there.

Those trout are really line shy up in that pond. :lol:

I thought that truck and bike looked familiar. Was on my way back from a visit to BPS. Broke my favorite micro rod last week :) (which hasn't been made in over 15 years) and had to go up and find something to replace it.

So....where's your write up? :)

So....where's your write up? :blink:

Well, the conditions were perfect, from what I hear. This was my first time riding the area so I wouldn't know different.

Write up? Here are some pictures and footage to motivate people to do this trip... not to jack this thread or anything.

PHOTOS:

http://www.ishootsurfers.com/Travel/Motorc...916971608_3SJQn

HELMET CAM:

http://ishootsurfers.smugmug.com/gallery/1...917601564_KQ8Pk

Why not more riding pictures? Cause we were RIDING, it wasn't a photo shoot trip.

Mimi, I think those trout are catchable with a fly rod, spooked or not.

Not sure where that beaver pond is in your pics. Not the same spot that we fished at last summer. Nice pix though.

So....where's your write up? :)

Well, the conditions were perfect, from what I hear. This was my first time riding the area so I wouldn't know different.

Write up? Here are some pictures and footage to motivate people to do this trip... not to jack this thread or anything.

PHOTOS:

http://www.ishootsurfers.com/Travel/Motorc...916971608_3SJQn

HELMET CAM:

http://ishootsurfers.smugmug.com/gallery/1...917601564_KQ8Pk

56 pictures and only 2 trail shots? That's pathetic! Looks like a lot more drinking than riding was going on. :lol: Not that anything is wrong with that. ;) Hey great pictures! They tell a story. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, only four more days before it's time to hit the road. Should we all meet at 7 AM at the Deersprings Arco? And who is in for sure?

Okay, only four more days before it's time to hit the road. Should we all meet at 7 AM at the Deersprings Arco? And who is in for sure?

Hmmmm, all I hear out there is crickets. :lol:

THIS RIDE HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST/RESPONSE.

I was really interested in going but I couldn't swing the time off from work on those dates. If you decide to do this trip later in the year and give plenty of notice I'll be the first to sign up.