Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

DR650 on the highway

So I'm getting back into riding after a 6 year hiatus and am currently looking at the DL650 and the DR650. I realize that neither are substitues for each other and that I'll eventually just have to own both. I used to own an XR650R 2000 model which I made street legal.... I should have never sold it.

What I'm wondering is how highway capable the DR650 is. I know people on forums like ADVrider and Thumptertalk say they are, but the majority of these people do not live in SoCal and do not realize what it is like to drive on the 215/15/91/10/etc.

It would nice to be able to ride from Riverside to SD via 215/15.

So who thinks this thing is highway capable?

Welcome to the forum... this is a great bunch of guys, so far, with none of the attitude... so shut the...

Oh wait... that's not right...

I currently ride a DRZ400 and a DL1000, and had a KLR650, KLX650R, XT600, DR350, TW200 in the past.

During an "adventure", we parked several bikes in the backcountry over night... When we picked them up, I rode the DR650 of woody2b3... i think... Andy. I went from Sunrise to Alpine. I'm not sure of the gearing he had, but I think it was stock... So I rode the fire road a little, Sunrise Hi Way a little and 8 for about 20 miles... If I had to only get one bike, the DR650 would be it. Granted, i haven't ridden every DP out there, but the DR seemed like the best 50/50 compromise to me, although it seemed a little small... That's good for the dirt, but after a few hiway miles, I could imagine wanting a little more room.

and you're right about the XRR- that's what I was looking for when the DRZ fell in to my lap for a good price. But at the time, I did have 2 street bikes, so i wasn't looking for a compromise.

But would you ride one from Riverside to SD?

I dont have a truck or a trailer capable car. I do not plan to get either one of these in the near future.

To best answer your questions, i would have to say... would I ride it from Riverside to SD?... yeah; once in a while. Or let me answer it this way: using Japanese bikes as the standard, mainly because there are so many...

DL650 great street bike, and graded fire roads

klr 650 mostly street, some dirt (and it is a good freeway bike, once you do the do-hickey)

Dr 650 50/50

XRL 650 more dirt but will tear up a lot of squids on back roads

DRZ400 mostly dirt

understand; i am no expert, but I have been through a lot of bikes trying to find the "perfect" one

sandiegoland can show you the places you can go with a DL if you are patient enough, and a DRZ will do freeway OK if your butt can stand it... personally, I would up the the gearing and get a renazco.

Craig/Andy- a little input here

Never ridden the DR650 so I was going to sit this one out.

If you want one bike you have to compromise. If you want to ride SDAR get the DR and suffer long hours on the freeway. If you want to see the country get the DL and sit out the goat trails and deep sand (the DL650 will go a lot of places, but you'll destroy it if you try to keep up with thumpers in the dirt).

I know I'll need both. I'm trying to figure out which one to get first. I'm sure it will be at least a year until I can afford the other.

I have a small lightweight trailer that I take my DRZ on to most every ride. I am sure any car could pull it with very little trouble. Heck I think my DRZ would pull it if I put a hitch on it. You can find a good quality one for just a few hundred dollars. Just a thought. Ken

You really need two bikes... why compromise... I would get the more dirt oriented first (unless I needed the bike for commuting), and then the more street oriented... I currently ride a Husqvarna TE450 which is a lot of fun in the dirt, but when I ride the road, I get tire and my butt hurts... but when I'm in the dirt, it's so much fun.. I have a bike carrier on the back of my jeep liberty where I carry my bike when we can start in farther away places (e.g. Ocotillo).. Last time I rode my bike all the way to Escondido (I live in Chula Vista), on the way back from Julian to C.V. on the road, it was hard but worth it... :D At this time I'm looking for my second more street oriented bike, and I'm also debating what to get... ;) It has taken me over six months to decide and I'm still checking them out... Good luck and welcome!

Never ridden the DR650 so I was going to sit this one out.

If you want one bike you have to compromise. If you want to ride SDAR get the DR and suffer long hours on the freeway. If you want to see the country get the DL and sit out the goat trails and deep sand (the DL650 will go a lot of places, but you'll destroy it if you try to keep up with thumpers in the dirt).

Thankyou for the feedback. I'm just waiting for a deal on a DL650 to show up, either that, or I may buy one new, as ABS is a mighty nice highway feature. OF course I'll have to rig up a kill switch...

Thankyou for the feedback. I'm just waiting for a deal on a DL650 to show up, either that, or I may buy one new, as ABS is a mighty nice highway feature. OF course I'll have to rig up a kill switch...

Steve is selling his.

DR650 for sale

Steve is selling his.

DR650 for sale

I'm looking for a DL650 (V-Strom)