Cline530

2008 530 EXCR LEAKING COOLANT FROM VENT TUBE

I noticed about 3 months ago some coolant coming from the vent tube.It was 8:00 am in the morning temp. was about 50.I got up to 65 mph and more coolant would push out. If I"m just cruising from 10 to 30 mph it doesn't leak. I changed the radiator cap, changed the coolant, I also let the bike run without the cap to make sure I didn't get air bubbles in the radiator. There was good circulation in the radiator. Removed the thermostat, checked the water pump and recently had a hot and cold leak down test done thinking I have a bad head gasket which detected no leakage.Each of these test I did individually then did a test ride.

STILL HAVING ISSUES !!!!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

coming from what vent tube?

you need to leave a small amount of air in the radiators or they will self level.

If that is not the problem and you are loosing lots of coolant every ride, tell us which vent tube you mean. The one right next to the radiator cap or the one from your motor cases?

coming from what vent tube?

you need to leave a small amount of air in the radiators or they will self level.

If that is not the problem and you are loosing lots of coolant every ride, tell us which vent tube you mean. The one right next to the radiator cap or the one from your motor cases?

I'm loosing coolant every ride.The higher the rpm's the worst it gets.The one next to the radiator cap. About a 1/4 inch above the top of the fins is my coolant.

Thanks for replying Spaugh

The recovery system is a great idea! But I've been ridding this bike for at least two years now. From open desert to singletrack trails and its never dumped coolant like it does now.I'm loosing 8 to 12 oz of coolant.

Thanx Crawdaddy

Are you having the problem while moving faster than 15MPH?

If no, you need to either ride faster or get a smaller bike.

If yes, your cap is not making a good seal. The neck on your radiator may be slightly too long and the cap isn't making a good seal. Is there a crack where the neck of your radiator attaches to the fluid reservoir? Take a micrometer and measure using the stick end from the top of your radiator neck to the bottom sealing surface (where the rubber ring on the bottom of the cap seals about 1 inch below the top of the rad) of your radiator and then take the same measurement on a working KTM radiator.

If you feel the radiator is not stretched or broken, maybe try putting one of those temperature stickers on the radiator and see how hot it is when you loose coolant. Running coolant/water 50/50, you should be good up to 240ish F.

It has to be either bad cap seal, boiling water, or blow by getting into the cooling system (not sure if this one is possible with this motor).

Good luck hope you get it fixed.

If yes, your cap is not making a good seal. The neck on your radiator may be slightly too long and the cap isn't making a good seal. Is there a crack where the neck of your radiator attaches to the fluid reservoir? Take a micrometer and measure using the stick end from the top of your radiator neck to the bottom sealing surface (where the rubber ring on the bottom of the cap seals about 1 inch below the top of the rad) of your radiator and then take the same measurement on a working KTM radiator.

If you feel the radiator is not stretched or broken, try putting one of those temperature stickers on the radiator and see how hot it is when you loose coolant. If you are running coolant/water 50/50, you should be good up to 240ish F. If you are loosing coolant below 250F your cap is not working. If it is hotter then that you need to address the overheating issue.

I had mentioned earlier the faster I go the more I loose.I will hit 90mph and she will be spitting all over my boots. "I Don't think I need a smaller bike". I replaced the cap twice.Still running a 1.8. No cracks around the neck. I'll put a temperature sticker on her and see how hot she gets. My neighbor has a 2008 450 ktm. Do you know if the radiators are there the same?

Thanx for the troubleshooting ideas spaugh! Great Info.

.....the faster I go the more I loose.I will hit 90mph and she will be spitting all over my boots.....

I'm stumped :rolleyes: ....my KTM(s) only spew coolant in slow/technical sections and/or prolonged idling.....once the the speed is up all is well.......

If you feel the radiator is not stretched or broken, try putting one of those temperature stickers on the radiator and see how hot it is when you loose coolant. If you are running coolant/water 50/50, you should be good up to 240ish F. If you are loosing coolant below 250F your cap is not working. If it is hotter then that you need to address the overheating issue.

I had mentioned earlier the faster I go the more I loose.I will hit 90mph and she will be spitting all over my boots. "I Don't think I need a smaller bike". I replaced the cap twice.Still running a 1.8. No cracks around the neck. I'll put a temperature sticker on her and see how hot she gets. My neighbor has a 2008 450 ktm. Do you know if the radiators are there the same?

Thanx for the troubleshooting ideas spaugh! Great Info.

yes, radiators on all the ktm big bikes are the same size.

so you ride fast and your bike still overheats, you do not need to buy a girl bike.

Chris does ride slow and his bike overheats and he already bought a girl bike.

I don't know that particular motor, so take what I am telling you with a grain of salt. The old motors had the water pump up top running directly off the cam shaft. The new motors have the water pump down near the crank right? Again, I don't know that motor, but the old ones didn't have combustion pressure behind any seals that could make its way into the cooling system. Maybe the new design has the crank area sealed from the water system and you are getting blow by into the cooling system through a bad seal. That is the only thing I can think of that would explain your symptom. Can you verify that your crank case breather hose is not clogged or pinched? Also you have the correct amount of oil in the compartment that lubes your crank bearings? The old style motor had a crank breather routed from the bottom end into the carb. I have no idea how they did it on yours. Pressure will build up in the bottom end especially on a big bore going 90MPH, too much oil or worn out rings will make it worse.

Bike still runs strong? Is your header blue?

maybe try ktm talk and ask those in the know if it is possible for blow by to make its way into your cooling system on that motor.

I think I just got bitched slapped? :lol::o:lol::lol: ............that's Ok, I like my girl bike :rolleyes: AND my KTM :lol:

I think I just got bitched slapped? :lol::o:lol::lol: ............that's Ok, I like my girl bike :rolleyes: AND my KTM :lol:

i'm just messing around chris! My 4T pukes going slow too. I haven't had any boil over since I started riding a smaller bore bike though. Big bores with little radiators get hot.

hopefully this guy can get his sorted out, cause riding like grandma is not his problem.

One more thing to try, is fill the bike with straight coolant, no water and see if you still have the problem. If it fixes it your bike is getting too hot, maybe jet are clogged.

STILL HAVING ISSUES !!!!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

If you haven't already, you might want to research this on KTMTALK.com and ask the "RC4 , RF4 and XC4 based machines" forum the same questions. Also Thumpertalk.com

Let us know the outcome and good luck

One more thing to try, is fill the bike with straight coolant, no water and see if you still have the problem. If it fixes it your bike is getting too hot, maybe jet are clogged.

Straight coolant will run hotter.

Straight coolant will run hotter.

Correct. It also doesn't boil and expand (at least not at a temp your motor should ever reach). So you could rule out a temperature\jetting related problem by trying it. The other option is get a temp strip on the radiator with cap on it.

Or buy a Honda.