I went for a 200 mile ride two weekends ago and my new-to-me '06 TE450 performed flawlessly. The bike sat for two or three days after the ride and then she just wouldn't idle. If I pull the choke she idles great, but as soon as I release the choke she dies. I did a major maintenance overhaul today, and in the process pulled the carb. I flushed the entire thing out with carb cleaner, and everything looked okey dokey. Alas, my idle issue is still present. I played around with the idle adjust, turned it up to around 2200 rpm with the choke engaged, disabled the choke and no beans. Any ideas guys and gals? I'm clueless (in more ways than one).

- :( Mike

Pure guess. Idle/Pilot jet. A spray of the carb usually isn't enough. If it isn't idling, a small amount of stuff is prolly blocking the jet. There was a pic on here (I think) with a gnat hair clogging one.

I see Mimi on this thread so the REAL answer is surely close behind.

Sounds like the pilot circuit got a tiny blob of dirt in it. Take your pilot jet out of the carb body and blow through the jet with compressed air. Take the fuel screw out of the body and blow through that orifice with compressed air as well as the orifice that the pilot jet came out of. When you reinstall the fuel screw, take care not to bottom it out too hard, then turn it out about two and a half turns. Set your idle at 1800/2000, no higher. Make sure that your red knob, the hot start button is pushed all the way in, and not somehow hanging open.

Guess I'll tear it down again. I sprayed carb cleaner through the jets, but was too scared to remove them. I don't really know much about tuning a carb, but I guess I'll be learning real soon.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

So I'm in the carb and I see what appears to be a crack or hole? It is an irregular shape so that is what initiated my suspicion. Someone please tell me that this is supposed to be here and it serves some purpose.

Upper right corner of carb.

DSC_6140.jpg

DSC_6139.jpg

That def doesn't look right...at all. Unfamilliar with husky carbs, so I have no clue. But holes=bad.

Also, for what it is worth, I am thinking the o-ring in my fuel screw was not installed correctly. When lookin up the threads it was stuck up there at a weird angle. Hopefully that solves the stalling issue, but it seems I have bigger problems now :(. I need a beer...

u talkin' about that irregular shaped opening in the bowl? Doesn't seem right but not even close to being sure. Hang in there!

Does that hole go all the way through the carb, or is it just a casting imperfection?

As far as the fuel screw...you may need to retap the threads, but remove as gently as possible...if it was stuck too far out, what you describe makes sense (if I understand you correctly)

The screw is out too far, not enough gas...choke it, and it gets the corresponding air...

But- I would still suspect your pilot jet clogged after sitting a few weeks....some of my bikes are real finicky about that, and some could sit for years it seems...good luck

The hole seems to go nowhere, which is good. It is really tough to say. The bike has been running with it though, so I am reassembling and crossing my fingers. Sorry for my poor explanations; I'm just putting the doo-dad in the doo-hickey and hoping for the best.

Oh crap!!! You have a doohickey?!?! PM Eaglemike...he'll set you up!!

You were kiddin huh?

Sometimes we "think" we cleaned all the jets, and there is some imperceptible speck in there (the proverbial hair on a gnats ass referred to)

Sometimes, you just have to replace them...my rules for carb cleaning- soak all jets...stick the tube in every orifice (on the carb)... Squirt until it goes into your eyes...squirt once more just because you're stubborn...done

Well I tried to do a quick 2nd run at it tonight with no success. I'll have to try a 3rd time again tomorrow.

The cleaning isn't even the b*tch. It is getting the damn thing in and out.

Oh, and I wouldn't have doohickey issues unless I had bought a KLR, haha.

I have little carb experience, but I understand the small oriface of the low-speed jet is often difficult to clean. Many people will replace them.

I keep one of these on hand, its a great tool for carb work.

0000_K_and_L_Carb_Cleaner_Wire_Set_.jpg

and the next time you get your teeth clean ask for a couple of the old dental tools. My dentist thinks its kinda of neat I have a use for them after they don't. So now they always ask me about cleaning carbs when I'm in.

0000_K_and_L_Carb_Cleaner_Wire_Set_.jpg

Hey Kelly, that's a cool tool. Can you order me one? Thanks.

Hey Kelly, that's a cool tool. Can you order me one? Thanks.

Plus 1 I'd like one too. I have five carbs to keep up with (almost up to Mimi) so it would come in handy.

Press on Mike! If it gets too much, PM Zenosan or Slut for some meditative chants.

Well she idles. I took the carb apart, for the fourth time, and then sprayed the jets out with carb cleaner and then compressed air. I had done this in the previous two tear downs, so I wasn't satisfied. I took the carb and jets to GP and they used their jet reamer tool to remove a bunch of crap in the pilot jet. When he removed the tool there was a bit of dust in the air. I guess whatever was in there had built up quite a bit. I took the carb home cleaned the jets once more and no more problems! You all hit the nail on the head with your diagnosis, but it was such a huge block that it needed more than cleaner and air.

Thanks to everyone, and now that my bike is running, hopefully I'll see you all out on the trails soon!

-Mike

I accidentally took it for granted that you would actually take a peek through the pilot jet and make sure that you could see daylight when you held it up to some light. I always look through the pilot jet. No light=completely blocked. Light=fuel can get through. Just for future reference. B)

Thing is, I could see light. The hole was only partially blocked and I wasn't sure what the diameter was when it was not blocked. Now I know!

I also use a Ultasonic Cleaner like this from Harbor Freight. Mostly when I pick up an old vintage bike that has been sitting for a long time and the carb is all crusty inside. Under $30

image_225.jpg

I also use a Ultasonic Cleaner like this from Harbor Freight. Mostly when I pick up an old vintage bike that has been sitting for a long time and the carb is all crusty inside. Under $30

image_225.jpg

That is really cool. Do you find it works well?

Thing is, I could see light. The hole was only partially blocked and I wasn't sure what the diameter was when it was not blocked. Now I know!

True dat. I always give the jet a cleaning and a poke with a wire even if there is light shining through it.

Glad it is running, will be good to see another Husky out on the trails. Ken