Just curious, yesterday someone I know got into a head-on (bike to bike) he came out with a bruise the other guy appeared to have a broken lower (tib fib?) by word of mouth.

Note no matter what, in your mind practice always veer to your right into the bushes (hopefully no big trees or rocks)

he said he did the auto function right and the other guy did a panic function left.........instead of right. bam injury.

Be safe/mindful out there SDAR folks

ps we were not riding together he was with his group. hope the other guy is ok and maybe not broken.. RN

yeah..no good.

heard yes, it is a broken lower leg carried out on a rhino and 2 broken bikes (meaning both unridable needed to be carried out)

I think he (Jade) was on his panzer (XR650) at least he was when I last saw his group.

I was doing the mellow daughter ride at the time. winding down from the more sporty morning cruise.

B careful out there guys and gals!!!

I really like those weekday no crowd get aways, less thought stress and more sporty speeds.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of riding any of those places on a weekend, I hate hearing stories like this. No fun. I hope everyone recovers quickly.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of riding any of those places on a weekend, I hate hearing stories like this. No fun. I hope everyone recovers quickly.

I agree...thus why I only ride at night at these places...

Night riding sounds good, I am luck so only ride mid week due to flexible work but at McCain today (after fun friday for first time following Mimi) nobody there to start and happened to almost run into 2 other guys on KTM's on tight single track. I did not know where I was going and chances were almost zero but we spotted each other (orange helps) through bushes so no problems. Nice couple of guys so turned around and followed them for a bit on some different trails, not sure where we went but good fun, beat up now though. :o

I can only ride those places on weekends. Aside from designating trails as "one way" (which has its pros/cons), just always be alert and veer right!

Hopefully everyone recovers well, be safe. The only thing we should be hitting, is our beers during a cheers in the parking lot!

"veer right" is a good plan, but rarely works on corners that are THAT bermed.

I sympathize with people that can ONLY ride weekends... I know that is when most people are not working (hence the term, weekEND) but as we have fewer and fewer riding areas, more and more quads, and faster bikes (do I dare suggest trail awareness is not what it used to be?)

These things will happen... similar to cayon strafing runs; you run at about 70% of your capability, and leave the reserve to account for others that left no reserve. Have your "outs" planned, and hope you can avoid others.

Start early morning, and get out before all the droolers and tards show up... take advantage of work holidays to get some rides in.... and let somebody else lead :unsure:

Stay safe out there guys (and gals)... I still believe in one way trails... I saw an article about an OHV park in Georgia, and ALL of the trails were one way trails... clearly marked, and you were EXPECTED to follow the signs.

I can EASILY see Corral with SOME one way trails... flip side is: you want to run race pace? Go to a race track... that being said... it was fun tearing up Corral with Bill running lead

We discussed the Possible "one way" trail options with the Forest Service at the quarterly meeting a couple of weeks ago.

Highly unlikely to be implemented. There are some of these trails in some of the National Forests up North. Research has shown that though the incidence of the NUMBER of accidents is less often on one way trails, the incidence of MORE SERIOUS INJURIES IS HIGHER.....riders go faster, can become complacent or there is the chance someone goes the wrong way...etc.

I've been riding CC since the late 70's, it was less crowded then and I had hair. These days, on weekends, a good rule is to start as early as possible, say 7 AM, and be back at the truck by 9:30. Another great idea, Bikeslut, is to let the fat old guy go first. Even on a hot Monday morn when I'm reasonably confident no one else is coming toward me I still "try" to ride defensively. The best way to avoid headons tho is to ride Tecate!!!!!

Just had a plate and four screws removed from my ankle that I've had from a head-on at McCain's five years ago.

that's way i hate to lead. would rather eat everyone's dust than lead. Both of my main riding buddy's have had a head-on

at C.C.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/12/H...cle-616410.html

this one is crfxer.

when they have the work party to install the one-way signs I'll be the first to volunteer.

I had a headon at McCain as well. It was me on my WR against a 110 lb female. She was coming uphill out of a corner in the burmed twisty section on the east side. I went off the trail and she panicked and headed straight for me. She got bruised up pretty good, not a mark on me, but tore my rear fender off.

I'm a little skiddish out front now. I'll still do my share leading, but not my favorite at the head-on places like CC and McCain. There really does need to be some directional trails at both places. How much would it possible cost to do that. Couldn't be more than a medivac or 2....

I've been pretty lucky at McCain, but not so lucky at Corral Canyon. Did a sideswipe thing like the one in the video, even though I went all the way to the outside of the turn (even over the outside of the berm) to avoid a rider. Though neither of us broke anything, it hurt and the radiator got bent on my bike. Did a head on out there just a year later when a rider was on an wide access road near Bobcat Meadows campground on the wrong side of the road on a blind righthander. Bent my fork, front rim, got a really big bruise on my thigh and a bunch of little bruises all over. My helmet punched the other rider in the torso and knocked the wind out of him. In each case I went to the right as far as I could go, but so did the rider coming from the other direction.

feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but it sure seems like one way trails will reduce accidents

If you want to argue people MAY be going the other way, well they are definitely going the other way now, and it IS causing accidents.

You may also argue that we should just slow down... well I can tell you I have been hit before when I was not even moving... I have seen two reports of people OFF THE TRAIL getting hit because the other person was out of control.

You can argue that some of the trails may not have a 'return option' available (like kernan)... great... don't make that one a one way trail. I know making a GOOD trail is not easy, and there may not always be a return trail route available.

Any way... looking forward to riding this weekend... shiny side up

ok- technically my bike doesnt have a shiny side

I think that if trails were made to be one way, I (and other slow riders) would probably get run over from behind. :unsure:

I think that if trails were made to be one way, I (and other slow riders) would probably get run over from behind. :unsure:

VERY good point!

NOT

at a much lower closing speed than a head on!

post-122-1272672541.jpg

Not a good point from your pointy viewpoint, maybe. Yeah, I can't hear any sharks coming up behind me on the trail either. I think that people would feel like they can ride lots faster than they already do if they don't think that they are going to be meeting anybody head on, so their situational awareness might not be so hot, Mr Smartypants. And they can still run over somebody who has crashed or stalled on the trail.

OK, I've been involved in a couple of head ons on the dirt roads. Bear Valley and Corral Canyon Roads. Maybe we should make the roads one way too.

OK, I've been involved in a couple of head ons on the dirt roads. Bear Valley and Corral Canyon Roads. Maybe we should make the roads one way too.

Yeah....that one head on I took was on the road. Just think, if I'd been driving my Jeep, the guy that hit me would probably have been seriously injured or killed! :unsure:

if we were to go about trying to cut down on collisions and make a rule on the trails that they are one way and that didnt cut down collisions much then what. do we enforce a speed limit through the trails too?? maybe we need to cut all the trees and shrubs 10 feet back from the trail so we can see really far around turns too. my point is that as soon as we start trying to impose more and more rules we are going to have less and less freedoms and less and less fun. for example the children in schools were getting hurt playing dodgeball so they banned the game. then they were noted to be getting hurt playing tag so that was banned as well. its no wonder they stay inside playing video games all day!! there is no way to make this sport much safer without really cutting down on the enjoyment and freedom the sport gives us in the first place. most of the time a collision is because someone made a mistake which we cannot make up for. only the narrowest trails should probably have a suggested direction because these are the only ones with a real danger of a no fault collision.

I just like that picture...I admit its not relevant

As far as taking all risk out of transportation, I accept it'll never happen... Just saying it will reduce the amount and severity of two vehicle accidents.

Its just every time it is suggested, people say "well then people will ride faster than they should and WHEN people ride the wrong way it'll be even worse"

I don't buy it- people ALREADY are riding faster than they should (including me) ...if a trail is marked one way, responsibility for the accident is a little more clear cut...

Its just an opinion folks...

Another thought I have; when police say "speed was a factor" in an accident report...well duh...if speed wasn't involved there wouldve been no accident....when is the last time there was an accident when neither party was moving?

Ok- not counting me falling over at a standstill and hitting somebody else

OK so say a yahoo is going the wrong way on the trail and he hits Mr. Responsible. The yahoo breaks his leg and then sues the Forest Service for not enforcing the rules. Liability is the real stumbling block in one way trails. How bout spike strips like they use in parking lots ?

Another thought I have; when police say "speed was a factor" in an accident report...well duh...

It's a check box on the CHP 555 form....meant to be excessive speed, there's also inattention, HBD (had been drinking) and others.

I'm petioning for one that reads "Has no brand loyalty & plays the trumpet" ....hopefully never to be used, but it should be there :)