Nice pics Zina.....I need to figure out how to take panoramic photos on my camera......

I just might have to make another trip out there later this year.

The area has that affect on people.......:):lol:

Absolutely incredible! Great pics and stories.

As mentioned, the CrawCrew should be happy to be so fortunate. Lifetime stuff.

In the back of my mind, I can't get one photo from the "primm" thread figured out. Caitlynn is on one bed with an ice pack & a beer, Roger's in the other bed. It would be weird for Chris to share a bed with his daughter, so the question is.

Chris - was Roger the inside or outside spoon? :)

Chris - was Roger the inside or outside spoon? :)

Caitlynn and I split the bed.....at least she wasn't spinning around, kicking me in the back, throwing her juice/milk bottle at my head, or wetting the bed as she did ~22 yrs ago when we had to split the bed on occasion - ha!

Day 3, Part 1 – Bar 10 to Toroweap

As Zina alluded to in her initial post, there are really three stories to tell (actually 4 if you include Jim and Shannon driving back in the truck)…….

Story # 1 – The “Lollipopers” (Chris, Caitlynn, Ron, KLRoger, Zina, Clayton, Wayne, Don) - I didn’t want to take Caitlynn up through the rocks by Mt. Logan and more importantly, I didn’t want to challenge her with the snow/mud/clay I knew would be waiting up there (more on that later)……..so I informed everyone we’d be taking the “lollipop route” out to the School House and over to Toroweap via Cr-5 which is a pretty major dirt road………I figured I’d make a decision on joining a portion of the Mt Logan track once we reached the area and if it was too slippery/snowy we’d just remain on Cr-5 and head over to Toroweap because, as previously stated, I didn’t want to subject Caitlynn to snow/mud/clay……so much for that plan….. we broke into two groups of 4 to keep up the pace and keep the dust down……

Story # 2 – The “Adventure Boys” (Roger, Brian (Hobiee), Brian (Beezzz), Mike, Dan, Jon, Ted) – we’d heard there were ~3’ drifts up at Mt. Logan (yikes!)……we also heard it was “impassable” up near Mt. Logan (mistake, never tell these boneheads something is impassable)………now the challenge was on!…….sounds like perfect “adventure” conditions…….the rocky/snowy path up and over Mt. Logan is the only way I’ve ever ridden away from the Bar 10 before this weekend…….it’s a blast……..so I encouraged all the boys to “go for it!” (especially since it really didn’t affect me one way or the other if they made it through :):lol: )……I figured if it got too nasty they’d just hang a U-Turn and head back down to Bar -10, top off their tanks, and jet over to Toroweap via the lollipop route…….I’ll leave it to them to tell their story…….

Story #3 – The “Explorers” (Sean, Dave) – Sean and Dave only had a one day hall pass so they needed to head back to Mesquite on Monday morning…….Neither of them had ever been to the area so I encouraged them to head up around Mt. Logan first on their way to the school house……luckily they ignored me which is a good thing since they needed the time to explore/deal/cope with what was waiting for them over at Black Rock/Elbow Canyon……Sean posted up in a separate thread about some of their “explorations/adventures” on the way back……

Story #4 - Jim and Shannon’s “One Night Stand”– Jim and Shannon loaded Jim’s bike up in the truck and headed back to St. George on Monday morning because Jim had to get back to the base at El Centro……as far as I know they left early enough to avoid any adverse weather/road conditions……..

So let’s get on with it…….Story #1……..Team Lollipop (for a while)

We headed out to the Trumbull School House via Cr-257 (a major dirt road that connects with Cr-5 at the School House)……easy ride……snapped a couple of pics along the way…….here’s a shot of the down hill near the end of the track over to Bar 10 from Mesquite ….you really can’t tell much from this photo……there’s a ~100 yard stretch of rocks in the slot that challenged some folks the day before……not really a big deal…..just let it roll……

IMG_0352.jpg

Caitlynn cruising……

IMG_0353.jpg

A couple of pics over at the Trumbull School House:

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

We left the School House on Cr-5 and headed up towards Mt. Logan…..

IMG_0359.jpg

We climbed up pretty quickly…….the School House is at the end of the straight road Caitlynn is glancing at….

IMG_0358.jpg

We stopped at the Mt. Logan cut-off and talked about our options…….I told the group I’d like to head up towards Mt. Logan then circle back towards Cr-5 “if” the road wasn’t too snowy/muddy……..everyone was on board with that plan……..so we headed up but only went ~.5 miles before we hit an extended snow/mud patch that completely encompassed the road…….so we hung a U-Turn, headed back down to the Cr-5/Mt. Logan intersection, and waited for the other set of Lollipopers to arrive……I told Wayne about the road conditions towards Mt. Logan and his group decided to follow suit and just take Cr-5 over towards Toroweap…….

The road to Toroweap from the intersection with Cr-5 is 13 open miles on a major dirt road……very easy/scenic……the last mile or so starts winding through rocks to the Toroweap overlook:

IMG_0360.jpg

Hard to imagine a nicer picnic spot

IMG_0363.jpg

Weather conditions were ideal when we arrived…..…probably high 60’s and clear skies……nice…..

The WR250R was a good bike for this trip…….the beefy subframe can handle carrying the weight of the saddlebags packed for both Caitlynn and I…….the bike’s motor is smooth as silk…….the stock seat is actually pretty comfy when compared to the true dirt bike seat on my KTMs……..the 350 watt alternator can power any/all accessories I’d want to take on a long trip…….the street bike engine requires little maintenance…….etc., etc……..in short, while the WR250R is certainly not the peppiest bike I’ve ever owned (after all, it's only a 250!), it turned out to be a good choice for my intended use/purpose as an “Adventure” bike……..why?.......see message on my shirt below......

You can ride it "Anywhere"......then drop your bags and have a blast on your little/fun bike......

IMG_0365-1.jpg

Misc. photos along the Toroweap wall

IMG_0364.jpg

Wayne perched high on the rocks…..

IMG_0366.jpg

Ron and Caitlynn chose a safe approach to view the 3,000’ vertical drop to the river……meanwhile, Zina was oblivious to the height/drop......she was just hanging out/over the edge in the distance…...taking shots between her boots etc......

IMG_0368.jpg

The Lollipopers scattered amongst the rocks

IMG_0369.jpg

Caitlynn wasn’t about to walk too close to that edge…….smart girl…..

IMG_0372-1.jpg

Too bold for me……

IMG_0374.jpg

Another father/daughter shot facing up river

IMG_0378.jpg

Stay tuned for Day 3, Part 2 – Toroweap to Bar 10 ……no more lollopops....

Day 3, Part 2 – Toroweap to Bar 10 ……..so much for a lollipop ride……

After hanging out at the Toroweap lookout point for ~45 minutes or so we all noticed a pronounced chill in the air……and the wind really picked up……”hey, think those dark clouds in the distance are headed our way?” :lol: …….we came to the realization that it was time to get out of there and head back over Mt. Logan before it got too wet/snotty :o …….so much for that plan :lol2:

So we saddled up and headed back out towards the intersection with Cr-5 which would run us back to the Trumbull School house….

Old road grating machine near the ranger station along Trumbull Rd……there were also some wind generators up on the hill……

IMG_0383.jpg

Here they come……

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

Time to hang a left and head back towards the School House:

IMG_0389.jpg

How cute….little snow flakes are starting to fall…..”hey Caitlynn, see if you can catch one on your tongue”

IMG_0391.jpg

Let’s walk over here and take a picture in the snow before we ride past it all…..

IMG_0392.jpg

Hmmmmm……..snow is starting to fall a bit harder/quicker…….road is starting to get snotty/slippery….. no longer a challenge to snap downed bike pictures….

IMG_0398.jpg

We’d better quit screwing around and get moving before this stuff starts to stick to the road… :lol:

IMG_0400.jpg

So much for that plan……. :huh:

IMG_0401.jpg

Hey Caitlynn, do you need some help???....wait a minute, let me snap a picture first (a recurring theme) ;)

IMG_0402.jpg

Where the hell did the other Lollipopers go??? :blink: .....they left before us but there are no tracks in front of me as I lead us into the snowy/windy abyss…….

IMG_0403.jpg

Hey Caitlynn, didn’t you see the sign????…….”Caution – Cattle Guard Ahead”…….did I mention they can be even MORE slippery???………need help???......wait a minute, let me snap a picture first……

IMG_0404.jpg

Finally down the mountain/out of the snow…..all we have to do now is ride down this ~2 mile straight road to the school house and we can rest for a bit…..what???......the riding here is even harder?????........looking at your bike I can’t imagine why you’d say that????……it’s not as if you’re lacking traction in wet concrete-like clay or anything..……hey, is that a tree branch sticking out of the clay on your back tire? :lol:

IMG_0410.jpg

And yet she's STILL smiling.......

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Yuk......nice platform heels......

IMG_0408.jpg

A lot of squiggly lines for such a straight road…..

IMG_0409.jpg

The last section to the School House was some of the nastiest/snottiest stuff I have ever ridden through……Caitlynn took many a spill in that stretch but she never lost her cool and kept smiling the entire time ……I’m VERY proud of her……

The other 4 riders, FORMERLY known as the remaining Lollipopers, showed while we were in that final straight to the school house……turns out they’d turned off Cr-5 to check out some Indian petroglyphs on the way over…..

We rested up at the School House for a bit and scrapped off a few mud melanomas…….we were cautiously optimistic that the road couldn’t get any worse………I told Caitlynn she needed to get up into 2nd gear (minimum) and get up some speed to flick off that mud…….slow/first gear spinning would only lead to more falls…….didn’t have to tell her that twice……here she is ready to roll from the school house……

IMG_0411.jpg

We caught up to Zina and Clayton on the way back to the Bar 10……the road was still pretty snotty but definitely getting better as we climbed up to the summit between the school house and the bar 10 ranch…..

IMG_0412.jpg

We finally reached a point where the clay was fairly dry……and the sun was starting to peak through the clouds……Caitlynn spread her (wet) hands in an attempt to feel the heat/sun

IMG_0413.jpg

We stayed at that spot for a while with Zina and Clayton and attempted to “de-tumorize” the mud cancers forming on our bikes……needed to act fast because the wet/concrete-like clay was starting to harden/dry around our counter sprockets, rear brakes, forks, etc…..

We made it…….you kicked ass girl…..well done!!!!

IMG_0414.jpg

Stay tuned for Day 4, all good things must come to an end (but not before another great ride back to Mesquite)

The last section to the School House was some of the nastiest/snottiest stuff I have ever ridden through……Caitlynn took many a spill in that stretch but she never lost her cool and kept smiling the entire time ……I’m VERY proud of her……

The other 4 riders, FORMERLY known as the remaining Lollipopers, showed while we were in that final straight to the school house……turns out they’d turned off Cr-5 to check out some Indian petroglyphs on the way over…..

We rested up at the School House for a bit and scrapped off a few mud melanomas…….we were cautiously optimistic that the road couldn’t get any worse………I told Caitlynn she needed to get up into 2nd gear (minimum) and get up some speed to flick off that mud…….slow/first gear spinning would only lead to more falls…….didn’t have to tell her that twice……here she is ready to roll from the school house……

------

I'm getting flashbacks... the mud --- ahhhh what a trip.

Day 4…..time to head for Mesquite

Everyone had there fill of snow/clay on Monday so the general consensus was to ride back to Mesquite by heading out to the school house then back track through Hidden Canyon/Poverty Mountain/Pakoon Basin/etc. to Mesquite……..we made that decision Monday night.......long before receiving the message from Dave and Sean that they did NOT recommend riding through Black Rock/Elbow Canyon as originally planned…..they slogged their way through but it was a struggle…..

So we gassed up the bikes and fiddled around a bit…….no sense leaving before 10am……..might as well let the temps heat up a bit…….nice sunny day……I walked around camp and snapped a few more pics…..

Very well behaved/friendly BIG lab….he just sat there by the door……..never tried to come in…….and always welcomed attention on our way in and out…..

IMG_0421.jpg

Hey, what’s that noise?????.......look, a helicopter is coming in to pick up supplies/people and ferry them down to the river........cool:

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

A river rafting group had flown into the airstrip from Vegas in two planes…..they bussed that group up to the Bar 10 which is only a mile or so from the airstrip……then they transported them down to the river in small groups via the helicopter…..I think they were headed out on a 3 day trip after which they'd return to Vegas....

Excuse me……..not airstrip…….”International Airport”

IMG_0346.jpg

A few misc pics around the ranch house:

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Mike’s quarters

IMG_0430.jpg

Ok, let’s roll!

IMG_0438.jpg

We hung a left at the school house towards Poverty Mountain

IMG_0442.jpg

This was the first time I’d ridden BACK through Hidden Canyon, Poverty Mountain, etc…….I like it…..saw a few things heading the opposite direction that I’d missed on the way over…..

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

We stopped at the ledges again to take a break/soak in the scenery/surroundings

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Time to get rolling again….

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Some of those Joshua trees in Pakoon Basin were HUGE:

IMG_0474.jpg

Came across Beezzz with a flat so we stopped and helped with a few tools/pump

IMG_0480.jpg

Caitlynn was showing signs of fatigue at this point……she said her butt was too sore to sit down :lol:;)

IMG_0481.jpg

Then it happened……Caitlynn was humming along about 50+ when she nailed a big rock and went flying……..I was worried staring at her laying there motionless :o ……could she talk???..... breath????…….was she conscious?????……..would we have to call a helicopter????……..where’s that satellite phone!!!!…….anybody have a first aid kit!!!!!!…….Caitlynn, can you hear me?!?!?!!? :blink:

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

Then we both started cracking up about her “staged” wipeout :lol2: :o:lol: …..(we had to do something to kill the time while Beezzz changed his tube :huh: ….did we fool ya??? ;) ....even for a second??? :lol::lol: )

Back on the road again……into the home stretch now…..

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Time to leave the Grand Canyon behind for now……we’ll be back…..

IMG_0504.jpg

Didn’t even notice this cool rock wall/cave on the way out since it was to our back…..

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Mesquite in the distance…..

IMG_0512.jpg

Leaving AZ./entering NV.

IMG_0514.jpg

Made it…….time for a cold “B” and a warm shower….

IMG_0517.jpg

THE END…….for now…..

You can view all the pictures here: http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/C.../10%20Bar%2010/

Awesome pics and stories...thanks to all of you for sharing. ;) ...another place to add to "the list" of must see's....

(so many places, just not enough 5 or 6 day weekends to accomodate)

...Way to Go especially to Caitlynn....Dad must have passed on those "adventure" traits! awesome..

Story # 2 – The “Adventure Boys” (Roger, Brian (Hobiee), Brian (Beezzz), Mike, Dan, Jon, Ted) – we’d heard there were ~3’ drifts up at Mt. Logan (yikes!)……we also heard it was “impassable” up near Mt. Logan (mistake, never tell these boneheads something is impassable)………now the challenge was on!…….sounds like perfect “adventure” conditions…….the rocky/snowy path up and over Mt. Logan is the only way I’ve ever ridden away from the Bar 10 before this weekend…….it’s a blast……..so I encouraged all the boys to “go for it!” (especially since it really didn’t affect me one way or the other if they made it through :ph34r::lol: )……I figured if it got too nasty they’d just hang a U-Turn and head back down to Bar -10, top off their tanks, and jet over to Toroweap via the lollipop route……. I’ll leave it to them to tell their story …….

Well Boyz - let's hear the stories/see the pics from Mt. Logan.....

Chris,

Another amazing RR!! We fly out from NYC on friday, and should be on this route sunday (page to bar10)...then monday&tuesday will take us from bar10 , through vegas, red rock, ending at furnace creek....

so needless to say, after reviewing your tracks for the last two months, this ride report brings all those tracks to life!!!

We cant wait!!! Thanks for taking the time out to put these detailed reports online...and for helping to bring dreams to reality!!

U da man!!!

We cant wait!!!

Hey Christian,

I'm equally excited about your trip and I'm not even on it!!! :party::good: Pray for sunshine between Page and Mesquite (that adobe clay is nasty when it rains)

I'll let you know if I can figure out a way to meet up with you guys somewhere along your path between Vegas and San Francisco.....

Have Fun!

I was riding sweep and had a great seat for all the entertainment.......Beez had an up close and personal encounter with a small cactus field.....(not sure how he found it cause there really wasn't a whole lot of cactus out there)........got up brushed off some needles and then the fun was ON!

Beezzz - Was that you I saw you golfing this past weekend??? :huh::lol:

Bezzzgolf.jpg