Spaugh

Android + GPS = killer!

Anyone else have a android phone?

You can now have google maps satellite images anywhere with these things. No cell coverage required.

spaugh,

Mmm, so your Android has a satellite connection? Or, is it that the Android stores images?

All of the images u look at on google earth are saved to your memory card automatically.

You can then see yourself on the sat images via your gps on the phone. I don't think you can get high rez sat images on a garmin?

I have a Droid. Is that part of the new 2.1 upgrade. The last time I used it and lost cell reception I lost the maps too.

I have a Droid. Is that part of the new 2.1 upgrade. The last time I used it and lost cell reception I lost the maps too.

2.1 gets you the caching i think. You need to look at the area you are going to be in before hand. Then when you get out there and loose reception, the maps are already in the memory card. I am working on using a tool that will automatically download all the tiles for a given region at all zoom levels and then you can upload those to the phone and use them offline. That way you don't to have previously browsed that area in google maps. I'll get back you soon with this. It looks like that tool will work for garmin as well.

here is how to do it:

1.) Get Mobile Atlas Creator with the oruxmaps atlas extention. Here is the link: Mobile Atlas Creator with Orux Format

2.) On your phone install the Oruxmaps app.

3.) Run the Mobile Atlas Creator Program and follow these instructions:

a.)zoom out until you can see the entire globe, then drag a box around southern california and then expand the Selection corrdinates(min/max) menu and push select entered coordinates button. Repeat until you have the area you want to save.

b.)under Map source menu, select google earth or whatever map source you want to use (there are lots to choose from!)

c.)under zoom levels start with something small like 11,12,13. Get this to work then go for higher zoom levels. Bigger number gives more resolution and takes a lot longer to download.

d.)Leave the Layer settings blank

e.) under atlas content, push add selection now that you have your area selected and your zoom levels selected. Be sure to clear the old stuff each time.

f.) under atlas settings select the atlas output type as OruxMaps. (or if you have garmin select that type!)

g.) under Settings, map size, change it to the largest number. Under directories tab select where you want the map to be stored on your computer.

e.) Good so far? Ok, push Create Atlas and wait while your maps are downloaded.

4.) Now you need to run Oruxmaps on your phone and then hook your usb cable to the phone. There should be a directory called OruxMaps\Mapfiles. This is where you will copy your output from the atlas creator. Go into the output directory that you selected in atlas creator and then copy the folder that contains the top level .xml file and the folders that contain the layers. Copy that folder that contains these files into the mapsfiles directory on your phone.

5.) Disconnect the USB from the phone, open Orux and push select map. Your map will show up in the list now.

6.) Enjoy!

PS, this should also work for garmin.

heres a picture. This software downloads all the google earth images you select, at all zoom layers that you tell it and then saves it to your computer. You can then load the images\maps into you gps or phone. You can use google, USGS, microsoft maps, or a bunch of other sources. Once you have it working, its easy to make new maps for any area you go. Someone with a garmin should give it a try. Once one person downloads the maps, you can share them with others, and its all free. The area shown selected in the picture takes about 2 gigs of storage to get all zoom levels downloaded. So that gives you an idea how much storage you will need for different areas.

4519856226_08a7e4d809_o.jpg

4519856204_4723f204d6_o.jpg

... but does it send pictures of people wearing improvised gear loadouts held together by shear will and a buttload of zipties?

I owe you some zipties btw...

... but does it send pictures of people wearing improvised gear loadouts held together by shear will and a buttload of zipties?

you mean this guy with the fender pack and fanny pack zip tied to his chest?

4519924076_5afb00e2bc_b.jpg

Any idea if it stores the maps in ram or on the sd card?

Jbw

you mean this guy with the fender pack and fanny pack zip tied to his chest?

That is one ugly Troll Doll!

thanks!

Jbw

josh, originally I was talking about google earth caching. That does go to the mem card not ram. You can see your available space shrinking on your sd card the more you look at google earth.

the atlas creator maps will need to be put into the sd card as well.

I can also take a paper map or a soft copy of a say an OHV area map and turn that into a gps\phone map. So you could pull up corral canyon map on your gps unit and see yourself moving around on all the trials on an image of the trail map like this one. I just need to borrow someones garmin to try it out. Any volunteers?

corralcanyon2005-2.gif

Jbw

josh, originally I was talking about google earth caching. That does go to the mem card not ram. You can see your available space shrinking on your sd card the more you look at google earth.

the atlas creator maps will need to be put into the sd card as well.

I can also take a paper map or a soft copy of a say an OHV area map and turn that into a gps\phone map. So you could pull up corral canyon map on your gps unit and see yourself moving around on all the trials on an image of the trail map like this one. I just need to borrow someones garmin to try it out. Any volunteers?

corralcanyon2005-2.gif

I have a couple of Garmins like the one on my WR you can use.

Sorry to ressurect a long dead thread... but I had to get a phone, I went droid.

Anyway, I am still interested in this. Any updates or do the previous direction still work? I would happily use this on my 660, 530 and my new DroidX. If only I had thought about this thread before my day of departure...

The current directions do not work as google and other have cracked down on downloading map data...

here is what you can do.

Download locus, and locus addon tweak from the Market. You can do all downloading from the phone and it is a nice interface. This program allows you to download many different types of maps from many different sources. You also can load/save gpx or kml tracks. And more.

The current directions do not work as google and other have cracked down on downloading map data...

here is what you can do.

Download locus, and locus addon tweak from the Market. You can do all downloading from the phone and it is a nice interface. This program allows you to download many different types of maps from many different sources. You also can load/save gpx or kml tracks. And more.

:mellow::blink::wacko:

:lol: