Sign in to follow this  
bluefin2na

Where can i buy

Retro style riding gear, Ihave a friend whom is female and she has a 1956 truimp restored to mint. She wants to ride , but I think shed look cool in retro gear, what shop should we look at? Or should i just go get it custom done, boots, jackets, pants, helmet, goggles

Try Metro Racing online for some stuff. they have MX gear, but also have some tee shirts, hats, hoodies, denim shirts and jackets that can all be ordered with bike logos of the olden days.

Don (Zenosan) might be able to help. Paging Don.....Don to the white courtesy phone!

Blind- that's a cool site!

Strega- are you yanking Don's chain? He doesn't buy RETRO gear... he still HAS his gear from the 70's... lovingly cared for and better than new

Bluefin- I may be making assumptions, but my heart is in the right place, so please forgive me... don't let somebody make the error of buying something on form before function. I understand wanting to make an "ensemble" with a nice old-fashioned bike, but make sure it is protective, not just fashionable.

'56 triumph is likely a street ride and not a old school dirt bike {but maybe} so here are a few items

http://www.british-classics.com/Davida%20Helmets.html

look around the site, they have old glass googles and stuff

here is some more

http://retrobikegear.com/

a nice pair of linemans---old school

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/category.aspx?categoryID=11

how about some bates leather

http://vintagepowersport.com/?page_id=698

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120521892780

that will get you started

remeber in the 60's era we rode in tan buckskin gloves like gardening stuff but good ones

i want pictures when she is decked out.....i love old school british iron...im saving for a bsa right now....ton up

Oh, i wont be letting her ride without the gear like a impact suit and and everything else, she just wants to cruise PCH up in North County, I have STRESSED, I mean STRESSED hard about the fact that you dont ride without ATGATT, and that this is not about fashion, and a 1/2 brain buckett is NOT going to safe anything, Oh, I pretty much drilled her on the facts of GEAR.

Just looking for leather jackets, old school style with NEW tech added,

thanks everyone

Added everything up and its just under a grand, which is alot cheaper then a HOSPITOL

Blind- that's a cool site!

Strega- are you yanking Don's chain? He doesn't buy RETRO gear... he still HAS his gear from the 70's... lovingly cared for and better than new

Bluefin- I may be making assumptions, but my heart is in the right place, so please forgive me... don't let somebody make the error of buying something on form before function. I understand wanting to make an "ensemble" with a nice old-fashioned bike, but make sure it is protective, not just fashionable.

Bikeslut is right. My stuff is old like me. Nor does it go back to the 50's just the 70's.

When I was a teeenager in the 50's my older brother had the same Triumph. I drooled over it every day while getting on my Cushman motor scooter. The fact is back in the 50's there was no riding gear. My brother like everyone else wore regular street clothes when he rode. We didn't even have helmets much less riding boots or gear. The closest thing to riding gear back then was the classic heavily zippered black leather jacket. But not many riders wore them because they were just too hot, and got ruined in the rain.

I second Bob's suggestion to go with function and forget the form. My stuff from the 70's still has enough function for me. :)

GP has the DOT approved pudding pot replica helmets, I'm gonna get one for riding my Norton. (EDIT; I may be mistaken on the DOT status here!) First Gear sells a real nice Belstaff look jacket. You can still buy lace up linemans boots if you look around.

My outlook on gear and safety might be a little different than some other folks. I think this should be the label on the gas tank.

1. Riding motorcycles is dangerous!

2. Riding motorcycles with all of the latest, greatest safety gear is still dangerous!

3. Riding motorcycles involves the risk of crashing or getting hit by a car, either of which may result in serious injury or death!

4. Don't ride your motorcycle at a speed greater than you are willing to fall off of it!

5. Go back to warning #1.

4. Don't ride your motorcycle at a speed greater than you are willing to fall off of it!

Wish it worked that way, but I still fall off mine the most when I've stopped. :blink:

Wish it worked that way, but I still fall off mine the most when I've stopped. :blink:

+1

GP has the DOT approved pudding pot replica helmets, I'm gonna get one for riding my Norton. (EDIT; I may be mistaken on the DOT status here!) First Gear sells a real nice Belstaff look jacket. You can still buy lace up linemans boots if you look around.

My outlook on gear and safety might be a little different than some other folks. I think this should be the label on the gas tank.

1. Riding motorcycles is dangerous!

2. Riding motorcycles with all of the latest, greatest safety gear is still dangerous!

3. Riding motorcycles involves the risk of crashing or getting hit by a car, either of which may result in serious injury or death!

5. Go back to warning #1.

which brings us to one of my life conundrums... I don't want to die yet... I don't even want to get hurt; spend MOST days in pain from old injuries (that explains my bitchy attitude)... but I'm not ready to stop riding yet. So I try to riode within my limits and rule #4. THAT explains why I am always the slowest on fire roads and sand washes; ok; maybe I'm just slow

ALL that being said; look at the Hurt report, specifically how it pertains to impact area in helmets; majority of impacts involve the chin area... my brother rides his Harley with a skid lid/putting pot/nazi helmet... the SAME brother that broke his jaw wearing a FULL face street helmet. I think you are taking an unnecesssary risk in wearing anything but a full face helmet, at all times (when riding Paul!), and fashion/comfort takes a big backseat. But as you say; riding motorcycles is dangerous. I choose to mitigate the risk as best I can, and still try to enjoy the ride...