Crawdaddy

Return to Primm - ~140 mile loop(s)

So far, about ~10+ (? :blink: ) of us are planning on heading over to Primm on Friday the 9th (probably stay at Buffalo Bills)..........

Crawdaddy & daughter Caitlynn

Strega

KLRoger

Zoot

Hobiee

Hoss and his buddy Dan

Slowdown and Speed-up (Ron and son Jon)

Humpty Thumpy, his buddy Don, and (?) of the :king:'s men (in case they have to put Humpty Thumpy, or his bike, back together again....isn't that how the saying goes? :lol: )

We'll knock out the lower Mojave Rd. Loop from the January Primm ride on Sat the 10th since some folks missed out on that loop when we did the "Terrible Ride" in Jan......any other member(s) that missed out in Jan are free to show up and join us.......must have street license plate and range of ~115 miles......we'll probably leave the parking lot no later than 7am and ride in groups of 4 or less to eliminate dust/save time/have fun

Go to the first post in this thread for maps/gps tracks which are hosted on Strega's website: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5720

Ride report/photos from our Jan Trip: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6372

Anyone interested in riding on Sunday too "might* be able to ride the Red Rocks loop in it's entirety......but you *may* be blocked out by snow on Red Rock Summit (6,500').......that's Ok, the paved Scenic Loop is still pretty awesome scenery.......you would just take the paved scenic loop back around to Blue Diamond Rd. (Hwy 159) then take Blue Diamond back down to the intersection 160 (gas stop) and head up to Mtn Springs......ride the Mtn Springs section as an out and back.......then head down 160 to Potasi Mine Rd. and finish it out back to Primm/head for home.....the Sunday loop could be anywhere from ~75 to ~130 miles depending on how you slice it......short/tasty option would be to just ride over to Bonnie Springs for breakfast on Sunday, loop through Red Rock via paved Scenic Loop if you've never been there before, then reverse course back to Primm.....

PM me for more details/suggestions.....

Looks like KLRoger and I will be there for the Primm ride as well.

Looks like KLRoger and I will be there for the Primm ride as well.

Yep, already accounted for you two.....

I may try for this. Are you going for Sat and Sun?

The group we have now is only planning on riding there on Saturday......sending you a PM

i just emailed my ridin buddy rob to see if he wants to blast out for that ride i will let you know. it sounds fun :blink:

riding SOMEWHERE that weekend with my son (on spring break)...not sure he will be permitted yet, but maybe???....I LOVED that loop...an awesome ride...

Really want to do it again too...

Count me in. I finally bought a GPS, and may have a clue how to use it by then. Is anyone planning on riding Sunday?

Sweet!

Since you're a sin city local......any idea if Red Rock Summit is passable yet or is it still snowed under?

Count me in. I finally bought a GPS, and may have a clue how to use it by then. Is anyone planning on riding Sunday?

Sweet!

Since you're a sin city local......any idea if Red Rock Summit is passable yet or is it still snowed under?

Snow doesn't hang around here for very long. There is a group from my2wheels.com who are planning on riding it this Sunday, if I don't make the ride I will check with them on the conditions.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't ridden that pass, yet.

Sweet!

Snow doesn't hang around here for very long. There is a group from my2wheels.com who are planning on riding it this Sunday, if I don't make the ride I will check with them on the conditions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: let"s ride it in reverse as well while we're there

What's the word? :) Snow over the summit? B):)

That's just wrong :(

Hi Chris

Just drove through Primm this afternoon on my way home from Page. The wind was blowing around 40 mph and dust clouds everywhere. There were a lot of Sail Rails on the Lake Bed though taking advantage of the Wind. I know it is another week for your ride but just reminding you of what you probably already know about Spring Desert Winds .

Here's wishing you fair winds next week.

By the way, had a great ride over the weekend out to Alstrom Point with an old Bultaco racer and former Bultaco dealer (who also lives in Page) from back in the day, Steve Scott. Gawin couldn't make it.

Don

Hi Chris

Just drove through Primm this afternoon on my way home from Page. The wind was blowing around 40 mph and dust clouds everywhere. There were a lot of Sail Rails on the Lake Bed though taking advantage of the Wind. I know it is another week for your ride but just reminding you of what you probably already know about Spring Desert Winds .

Here's wishing you fair winds next week.

By the way, had a great ride over the weekend out to Alstrom Point with an old Bultaco racer and former Bultaco dealer (who also lives in Page) from back in the day, Steve Scott. Gawin couldn't make it.

Don

Thanks Don......looking forward to "my" next ride out to Alstrom Point......thanks for taking us out there last year.....

Big Storm hitting Sierra's now........wouldn't be surprised if Red Rock is getting hit.......no matter, Mojave is on the docket for the 10th.....

oooooooh dAMN! Sounds like fun let me think about this for a minute. ;)

oooooooh dAMN! Sounds like fun let me think about this for a minute. ;)

Times up.....see you there :cray:

What's the word? :lol: Snow over the summit? :):o

That's just wrong :lol:

Rec'd a Red Rock snow report from someone over on ADVRider.......sounds like the pass will be fine to ride over unless they get hit hard between now and then.......so anyone interested in riding two days out there should GO FOR IT!

Link to Tracks: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525642

Today's Report:

If your talking about the Red Rock outside of Vegas (there are lots of them around the country) yes that pass is open (aka Rocky Gap/Potato Ridge), i went through it just this past sunday and there was only a very short section with snow, very short but it should be all gone very soon. If your talking about some other Red Rock then i can't help .

......short/tasty option would be to just ride over to Bonnie Springs for breakfast on Sunday, loop through Red Rock via paved Scenic Loop if you've never been there before, then reverse course back to Primm.....

Looks like one of my daughters (Caitlynn) *may* be coming out on Friday.......if so, she's not coming out to gamble......she wants to ride the CRF230F!!! :blink: .......So, *if she comes out*, we'll probably just ride the abbreviated/lollipop loop described above on Sat while you boys go tackle the ~140 mile Mojave Rd. loop......I'd like to take her over to breakfast at Bonnie Springs and also take her on a spin around the paved scenic loop at Red Rock Canyon since she's never been to either spot......you guys don't need me on the Mojave Rd. loop anyway.......the tracks will guide you......

......short/tasty option would be to just ride over to Bonnie Springs for breakfast on Sunday, loop through Red Rock via paved Scenic Loop if you've never been there before, then reverse course back to Primm.....

Looks like one of my daughters (Caitlynn) *may* be coming out on Friday.......if so, she's not coming out to gamble......she wants to ride the CRF230F!!! :lol: .......So, *if she comes out*, we'll probably just ride the abbreviated/lollipop loop described above on Sat while you boys go tackle the ~140 mile Mojave Rd. loop......I'd like to take her over to breakfast at Bonnie Springs and also take her on a spin around the paved scenic loop at Red Rock Canyon since she's never been to either spot......you guys don't need me on the Mojave Rd. loop anyway.......the tracks will guide you......

Luke I am your father!!!! :lol:

...........you guys don't need me on the Mojave Rd. loop anyway.......the tracks will guide you......

And we can do it much faster as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let the force (AKA my gps tracks) guide you......

but Hobiee - YOU had best STILL follow someone.......seems to me you got way off course last time even WITH a GPS on your bike :lol::lol:

Let the force (AKA my gps tracks) guide you......

but Hobiee - YOU had best STILL follow someone.......seems to me you got way off course last time even WITH a GPS on your bike :lol::lol:

Not the first time i have been told i am way off course :lol:

My unsolicited advice for Primm: ;)

- If you've never been to the area I'd head out Thursday or Friday and ride BOTH Primm loops on Friday/Sat/Sun....then drive home Sunday.......that's clearly option "A" :lol::)

OR

- If you've never been to the area and you're locked into riding Sat only I'd ride the Bonnie Springs/Red Rock Loop.....diversified terrain and very scenic

OR

- If you came out in Jan and only rode the Red Rock Loop you oughta consider riding the Mojave Loop just to ride/see something different......some cool sights along the way, jumps before the mailbox, more Joshua trees than you've ever seen, some race track sand, lava tubes, rocks.......it's a fun loop....

OR

- If you've already ridden both loops I'd ride the Red Rock loop backwards (which is actually my preferred direction since you’re looking down into Red Rock Canyon as you ride down from the summit - note that you skip breakfast at Bonnie Springs if you ride it backwards but you can still stop by Bonnie Springs for a late lunch if you're not running too late.....must leave Primm early and with full tank if you ride the loop backwards since no gas for ~100 miles)

.....lot's of options......figure it out with your riding partner(s).....

As noted in an earlier post, Caitlynn is now on board to come out with me and Roger on Friday therefore I'm definitely bailing on the Mojave Loop.....that's too big of a loop for Caitlynn with too much sand/rock........the two of us will be riding over to Bonnie Springs/Red Rock (paved loop only) then returning to Primm.....we'll probably divert from my tracks and ride to Jean on the 15FWY then cut across Hwy 161 to Good Springs where we'll catch dirt over to gas and then more pavement to Bonnie Springs/Red Rock.......then back to Good Springs via Cottonwood Pass to change things up a bit (but still remain on easy dirt.....Cottonwood Pass is a major/easy fire road).....then slab it again from Good Springs to Primm via 161/15 Fwy.......therefore we'll probably wind up riding ~70 miles of pavement and ~40 miles of dirt...... good/easy/scenic loop for Caitlynn since she won’t have to deal with the rocks/sand between Primm and Sandy Valley....

Trying to get in... If my wheels arrive in time I will be there for sure.