KTMrad

Early May Too Hot, Too Late for Desert Ride ?

A local shop may sponsor and want us to organize a local dualsport ride similar to the Desert Dash Day 2 route.

The guest, famous ex-racer who wants to attend, suggested mid-April to mid-May.

Is early May too late for a desert ride you think ?

Might be too early to get a small ride organized for late April.

theres a desert race may 2nd for what its worth.

Wearing a t shirt and wetting it down every 10 miles in 100F weather makes riding in heat easy. They had a water truck that blasted people with water as they went by in a race last september, it was 110F for that one. :rtfm:

With that said, dualsporting is supposed to be enjoyable and riding in 100F is not that.

Maybe I'll suggest the second weekend in May.

Yeah, for me.......it won't be too hot, but may be for others.

Input ??

Yeah, for me.......it won't be too hot, but may be for others.

Input ??

R,

DS or green stickie??? thanks R

R,

DS or green stickie??? thanks R

Dualsport, of course, we'd be going thru parts of Anza Borrego, Oriflamme Canyon, etc.

Robert, when you gonna get a DS bike ??! :rtfm:

I've been in Palm Springs in mid may and temps were already over 110*. Hottest day that week was 118*. That was abnormal for May, but it is possible.

A local shop may sponsor and want us to organize a local dualsport ride similar to the Desert Dash Day 2 route.

April - Maybe, May - NFG

Might consider a ride in a different starting location where it's cooler.......like Warner Springs up to Anza/Thomas Mtn/Idyllwild and back to Warner Springs via Bee Canyon/Hixon/Bautista/Palomar Divide........

like Warner Springs up to Anza/Thomas Mtn/Idyllwild and back to Warner Springs via Bee Canyon/Hixon/Bautista/Palomar Divide........

Hey.. That's in my backyard.. I like that idea..

Input ??

In May winds can be a bigger problem than the heat. If the ride sticks to the hills (Oriflamme, Jasper, Pinion Mtn) it should be better than if it goes across flats (like toward Superstition). Plus it is a usually a few degrees hotter in the lower desert east of the narrows. I have had to take cover inside at the Blu Inn during May dust storms.

Also - you could consider setting up more checkpoints with shade and water. This is what the bicycle groups do. I am sure that plenty of members would volunteer to set-up and man these.

Finally (more input) ----

How about zip-tying brightly colored number tags to the participants bikes? I saw a group during the DD10 that was doing a "Jasper Run" - they had bright Green tags on the rear fender/seat area. Maybe the tags could be collected at the end of the ride to help account for the riders.

tough call...the more riding the better, and I would bet you'll get some riders no matter when it is.....but you never now when the serious heat will arrive and stay!.. :clapping: .i've seen summer temps in March, but lately it's been awesome riding....

but you never know.?...sometimes it may be ok...I've surveyed out at EL Centro in July, on the tarmack, and I've been to glamis in august, so maybe I'm not the best judge :good:

riding? i like riding...who said something about riding? i want to go riding.

i also think there will be plenty enough riders but it would be a good idea to camp in a cooler area and maybe provide a few more stops for water or possibly shorter rides or maybe schedule them int he morning and/or late afternoon if at all possible.

May hot? Hell, its just getting warm! It doesn't get "hot" until Jul/Aug. :blink: You soft, living in perfect-year-round-weather SD types would think this week was hot out in the dez since it was 85 all week! :ph34r:

When we go over the hill to SD during the summer, my wife sometimes takes a jacket as it is freezing at night, and the days can seem very chilly!

There is a reason so many people want to live in SD.

May could potentially be VERY hot.

May hot? Hell, its just getting warm! It doesn't get "hot" until Jul/Aug. :blink: You soft, living in perfect-year-round-weather SD types would think this week was hot out in the dez since it was 85 all week! :ph34r:

When we go over the hill to SD during the summer, my wife sometimes takes a jacket as it is freezing at night, and the days can seem very chilly!

Around here, 85 is still practically sweater weather. If I'm not working, I will be along for the ride.

The Imperial Valley can warp the mind B)

My feeling is that it will be hot. I would figure 95, but it could be 100. I see some riders really dragging their butts home after riding the dash in February, add the extreme heat to the mix, and it could be bad juju. I wouldn't want to be a noob out there struggling in the sand in those temps. If it happens, I will help however I can, cause I am not very bright. :ph34r: Ken

Just to clarify, this will not be a big, organized event. Just a shop sponsored, club ride, limited to about 40 or 50 riders with no entry fee. There will be no checkpoints, etc.

Just to clarify, this will not be a big, organized event. Just a shop sponsored, club ride, limited to about 40 or 50 riders with no entry fee. There will be no checkpoints, etc.

Since I missed the DD this year, I would be interested if the temps. stay below 90.*

HEY ROGER HOW ABOUT SOMEWHERE UP NORTH RED MTN? OR BIG BEAR IS THERE STILL SNOW IN MAY?

I think Big Bear in May would be nice and a little snow is better than frying your brain. I remember being at a race in Red Mountain last year at that time and it was not fun. Mornings and late afternoons would be good around Anza Borrego but how do you have a break like that? Big Bear would be a good pre-ride for the ride in June up there. Devils Hole will be real fun with all the melt off! :)

Devils Hole will be real fun with all the melt off! :o

It would be DEEP. :)