bikeslut

well; we "rode" the new trail

:drool:

On the actualy subject of this thread,

How many more trails are there at corral?

Wil... I know of trail 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, Espinosa, Ridgeline (Not a "Real" trail, I don't think, and I made up that name), Spur, Tulls' Trail and 3A... Just saw 911A for the first time yesterday... there is also a small singletrack near Sidewinder, but it is not a sanctioned trail

There may be more, but that seems like everything I've ever ridden there...

as for trail bikes... I actually like the small 4 strokes for stuff like that... My WR would've been better for me if it had an electric start and some oil in the forks... I could use a little more grunt from it, but I could stand to lose 20 pounds too. If I was riding point, I would've rather been on the WR, but riding sweep, I would liked the DRZ... yeah, it's heavy but goes slow better than the Yamaha.

and my right calf hurts today... a few too many kicks

also... just to clarify... I wasn't "complaining" about this trail... I actually enjoyed myself and like a good challenge. I would think a turn that allowed you to eyeball the next obstacle would make the trail better, not that it is bad now.

I could think of ways to improve most trails (for me) and they might not suit others then... I liked Kernan better when it was more rutted and tighter.

Also; the trail grooming they did for the Sagebrush Safari was NOT for downhill riders (baggy shorts, armor and full face helmets)... it was for cross country guys (lycra, camelbacks and vented carbon fiber helmets) ... It was ridiculous that they groomed it that much, which brings us back to the original thought:

If I were making the trail (and I wasn't... thanks to you that did) I would approach the steps a little differently given the choice... sometimes, the land does not allow a choice.

It is still a great trail, and ANY new trail is a great thing to have these days... kudos to all the guys and gals that made it happen.

Thanks again Paul for leading us...

as for trail bikes... I actually like the small 4 strokes for stuff like that... I could use a little more grunt from it,

three words...big bore kit... mine is currently a yz290f.

as for trail bikes... I actually like the small 4 strokes for stuff like that... I could use a little more grunt from it,

three words...big bore kit... mine is currently a yz290f.

oh, I know it... already got my eye on one... I may PM you for some details regarding jetting.

I like the little bike a LOT, except for kicker and the grunter

There isn't a trail in the world that can't be ridden by a determined rider on a CT 90. Or you can just get a trials bike, or a Rokon Trailbreaker, or maybe a well trained Burro.

absolutely "almost" true.... and the trail is, in NO WAY, close to unrideable... it was quite fun; I am looking forward to doing it again. I would caution people to choose this trail and their riding party carefully...

I would caution people to choose this trail carefully...

I completely agree.

I liked the trail not only because I had a very fortunate day, but because I really couldn't see it without the red tape markers (thanks to whoever) which makes it a bit of an adventure. With much more traffic and a wider trail, much of the appeal will be lost. Obviously, all the other trails in CC started this small, right? And it's why some scofflaws ride in the out of bounds areas near McCain- because the trails are not nearly as hammered no pun intended.

Let's try to keep this trail as it is as long as we can.

other tricks are 14/52 gearing

agreed, this is stock on my 400 and what I like - the longer first gear comes in handy so u can stay in first gear on really tight stuff

sounds like my 2 stroke, which I sold last night for $1,700, would have been perfect for this trail :lol:

how well u know the trail is important too - maybe hike it first :rtfm:

Back in the 80s. MOST of the trails out there were singletrack. Almost all of them today are wide enough for at least quads if not regular four wheel drive vehicles. I met up with a Jeep on the trail that connects Corral Canyon campground and Bobcat Meadows campground last spring, and while the trail isn't really wide enough for that type of vehicle and there is no way to get around one if you should meet while riding your bike on that trail, the trail is not off limits to that type of vehicle.

A few weeks ago I followed a trail at McCain that went along the fence line on the west side adjacent to the reservation land. It was the track that is ridden by the ranch hands on horseback when they have to maintain the fence from the Fed side. It was very tight, overgrown and I often thought that we were off the route, except that I would spot hoof prints and poo. A great example of a multi use trail. I don't think we got over 10 mph for 90% of the ride, and eventually dropped onto McCain Valley road near that campground almost at the end of the road. Coming back we veered south past the wreckage of the old radio site and worked our way back to the staging area on single track. Sometimes it's fun to ride a hard trail slow, sometimes it's fun to ride an easy trail fast, and sometimes it's fun to watch the rider in front of you find out that riding faster isn't always a good idea!

I'd be careful what you are riding out there at McCain. There are legal trails out there near the end of the McCain Valley road, but at some point you have to get on the roadway between those trails and the OHV riding area adjacent to the staging area. If you managed to ride all the way back to the main area without touching roadway, you ended up on reservation land. There is a gate at a corner, and it is usually open and there is no signage telling you to keep out at that spot, but it isn't public. I know some people that told me they got chased out of there by some gun toting ranch hands. Just a warning to keep you out of any future trouble.

modern trail/enduro bikes are all good for these type trails both 2 and 4 strokes,,,most regular folks will do best on crf250x, wr250f, KTM250xcw, txc250 husky or the 400cc kato in 4 strokes,, in 2 strokes you have only the euro bikes 200 kato exc xcw ,250xcw,300xcw, wr250-300 husky. that are engineered for enduro , for all the modern (read expensive)machines.

as for non currents we are all voting the same the KDX200-220 series with a few minor cost effective mods is one of the best trail bikes ever made.

for more advanced riders all the bigger cc machines will be fine as well rmx450,klx450,TE/TXC450-510, 450 530 kato etc etc for the bigger enduro/trail machine....sorry for the hijack,,i now realize this was about riding a trail not what to ride on it. Just trying to add info. enjoy the ride see ya on the trails, RN

thanks SDAR I have a new fave at Corral Canyon. fri time line, left Lark after a full day of trails,,,,,,,,,,,decided to go to Corral because other guy found where "the trail" is from a thurs ride,,,

we (2 of us) pull up to lower campground @1530 and by 1730 we are on the road out crossing the kernan trail and back to home. "the SDAR trail" is amazing, great job, honestly it was way more than expected, thank you for your efforts that trail rocks. You guys ok with vholder Helmet cam?

On way out from lower camp road trail entry the cam man led, on the trail reverse back in I led. Good on ya!!!! Thanks. RN

PS just wish it was 25 miles long!!! 25 out 25 back for a 50 miler!!

We left from lower camp down the road to enter the trail (you know where) then (1st pass 4 me) we went out to the other end road with cam in lead and turned around , this is coming back (1st pass 4 me) with the trusty TXC450 in lead. very well marked had a couple of moments of scanning for ribbon but mostly spot on. Thank you SDAR

http://vimeo.com/10757302

Rarely go to corral anymore, but if I do I will do this suggested trail work. Get some broken branches or cut brush and just throw it down parallel with the stream beds, it keeps from digging those deep trenches, and allows the water flow just the same. The crossings are getting hammered with deep mud trenches all ready.

Yeah; we stayed off it while it was raining for just that reason... some of the water crossings are a bit of a bog

good video

Wil- any flashbacks? :rolleyes:

this is coming back (1st pass 4 me) with the trusty TXC450 in lead. very well marked had a couple of moments of scanning for ribbon but mostly spot on. Thank you SDAR

http://vimeo.com/10757302

Rarely go to corral anymore, but if I do I will do this suggested trail work. Get some broken branches or cut brush and just throw it down parallel with the stream beds, it keeps from digging those deep trenches, and allows the water flow just the same. The crossings are getting hammered with deep mud trenches all ready.

Great video! Perfect.

Man, you guys rip!! Don't think I will ever ride that fast. Glad I can ride the trail from my computer now while my injury is healing. Shows the trail well but makes it look waaaay too easy with you hot shots riding it.

Right on about the crossings. We will organize some work days soon. Ranger Tull has already said he wants to reinforce the water crossing as first priority. I'll contact him and we will get something going with that.

Thanks a bunch for the vid!

Again I gotta say THANKS to SDAR for this little bit of thoughtful well planned tough trail heaven.

this is coming back (1st pass 4 me) with the trusty TXC450 in lead. very well marked had a couple of moments of scanning for ribbon but mostly spot on.

Right on about the crossings. We will organize some work days soon. Ranger Tull has already said he wants to reinforce the water crossing as first priority. I'll contact him and we will get something going with that.

As promised in my other write up.. I can concur with the water crossing boggy-ness... I picked what looked like the nice dry line with one lone tire track across it. You only get the magnitude of my "stuckness" by knowing that's a 620 RXC and I am 6' tall. I was looking for the "How stuck have you ever been" thread I thought I saw on here once. Too funny...

As I mentioned. Other than that little hiccup the trail was AWESOME!

-Zoot

post-7803-1270746598_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned. Other than that little hiccup the trail was AWESOME!

-Zoot

Yeah that same spot tried to grab me and "Just when I thought I was out... they [it] pull me back in. ..."

Godf3Mike4.jpg

Was this the new trail that was supposed to be more trials oriented?

If so, don't go trying to make it any easier :rolleyes:

I took some friends who came down from Canada out to CC, but we didn't ride this trail because I wasn't sure how to get there. Instead we just rode Bronco Peak and the Connector and then left for McCain Valley to go play on those rocks.

Looking forward to getting out there with the GasGas and giving the new trail a ride.

I took some friends who came down from Canada out to CC, but we didn't ride this trail because I wasn't sure how to get there. Instead we just rode Bronco Peak and the Connector and then left for McCain Valley to go play on those rocks.

Looking forward to getting out there with the GasGas and giving the new trail a ride.

Daryl,

Its just a good solid single track enduro trail A-B level, no AA spots/climbs/descents (read no scary stuff). Rob

Daryl,

Its just a good solid single track enduro trail A-B level, no AA spots/climbs/descents (read no scary stuff). Rob

Each section of the trail is not "HARD" by any means, but it becomes hard due to trail routing, IE; 90 degree corners with a 3 ft run up to a technical climb/rock section. Also, there is no way to see whats ahead, so you can be caught off gaurd going to slow through sections.

^I watched the video and until about 6:10, nothing looked familiar until that little downhill part and i said oooo they are doing it the opposite way we did, wonder if its easier?

on the new map they have another part of that trail... 912A... East of the trail we rode... is that "in process", "not started" or "complete"? Anybody know?

also; if the "A" suffix implies difficulty (as in the difference between trail 3 and 3A), I'd expect the new trail will be a lot of fun

as others have said... nothing needs to be done to make it easier. It's not that hard, and there are PLENTY of easy trails at Corral for families and newbs.

Yes, Daryl; there are more trial play areas along this trail... have you seen the map? I think I posted it in Members Only

Thanks for the reminder :rolleyes: I printed the map from post in the members only area an hour or two ago and then forgot about it.

Hopefully no ones tossed it in the recycle bin yet ;-)

Maybe I can get a pass to go riding this weekend and check it out. Probably not since we just got back Monday from camping in Borrego Springs.