bikeslut

well; we "rode" the new trail

That trail would have been fun on a CR125 or CR85...

Tweaking the Flea for that task.

...as downhill bicycle riders, we like sweeping, bermed turns and some sight lines

Just like, say- Interstate 8?

And, like they did for the bike races last year, would you like them to take all the little rutty parts out, and clear the trail of rocks? Smooth over all the bumps?

:D

I think a real light small bike would be great on the trail, my 625 was a little tough on that one.

Huh? RJ you kicked that trails ass, I won't ride with you if you have a lighter bike, you'd just leave us all wallowing in a wake of shame. And that is the second time- you did the same thing last Sunday on both Kernan trail and Lyons Valley Road. It was like I had a rope hanging off the back of the bike and you were attached to it.

No, no lighter bike for you!

I would like to remove half of the rocks, and sweep out all the corners to make them wider so you have a better line of sight to choose a line and allow you to build up speed.

I would also like my garage to be filled with 10 different dirtbikes, ranging from 85 2-stroke up to a 950SE, but that's not happening anytime soon

I "think" you know me better than THAT!

...as downhill bicycle riders, we like sweeping, bermed turns and some sight lines

Just like, say- Interstate 8?

And, like they did for the bike races last year, would you like them to take all the little rutty parts out, and clear the trail of rocks? Smooth over all the bumps?

I "think" you know me better than THAT!

Pfft. Whatever.

For the record: I got damn lucky yesterday to clear that trail without falls or getting badly stuck. I'm going to damn well gloat as much as I want- sooner or later that video from Flagstaff will resurface, and in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my glory.

You absolutely rocked it...you guys were on your 3rd Pina Colada before I caught up

What video?

Wil and I both felt the trail lacked "flow"...as downhill bicycle riders, we like sweeping, bermed turns and some sight lines before attacking obstacles. This trail offered none of that.

Fake Name compared it to the Flagstaff trail, but I thought it was tougher but shorter than that. I think as long as quads stay off it, it'll be fine and maintain its singletrack integrity.

I have to agree, it would help if we could see the tough lines. And flow would allow some kind of breathing room.

I also don't think a quad could make it through or even enjoy the trail.

I think a real light small bike would be great on the trail, my 625 was a little tough on that one.

Huh? RJ you kicked that trails ass, I won't ride with you if you have a lighter bike, you'd just leave us all wallowing in a wake of shame. And that is the second time- you did the same thing last Sunday on both Kernan trail and Lyons Valley Road. It was like I had a rope hanging off the back of the bike and you were attached to it.

No, no lighter bike for you!

haha thanks yea i tried my best, but my body says different, i dont know if i tweaked my back riding or tuggin the 530 up the hill. gettin old i guess. ;)

I like the trail just as it is. I enjoy that trails exist that are beyond my abilities. If I have trouble with a certain trail (like the Bronco connector) I'll leave it to the legions of more talented folks. I'd hate to "dumb down" every trail with which I struggle- trust me they'd all look like Kernan.

With which I struggled when I first started out.

That trail would have been fun on a CR125 or CR85...It had too many 90 degree sharp corners that squared you off into a steep rocky hill with no where to get speed or choose a line.

No one can ride that trail on a quad, I don't think you need too worry about that ;)

Wil, some of the things you say just blow me away. Yes I have to remember you are only 16, but before you got your 426 there was a post that went on and on about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and on and on. Now we have been talking here about making a non trail bike into a trail bike. Now the only part of a CR125 or 85 that would make a good trail bike out where you were would be the weight and a lower seat then the 426. Like Mimi is doing to her CR85 is reworking it to become a better trail bike, I bet she would add a fly wheel weight to the 85. I hope you will be able to get the 426 to become a better trail bike, and there has been some very good advice on this, try to read it and understand it. It applies to many bikes, the CR125 would not act much different then the 426 as far as stalling, probably burn up the clutch pretty fast on the trail. Now if you would of said something like, the trail would have been fun on a KDX 175, Yamaha IT 200, RMX 250 I would say right on. OK so I'm rambling a bit, learn what the difference between the old WR two stroke and a YZ two stroke. Both the same bike with just a few different things to make them ride completely different.

Like Mimi is doing to her CR85 is reworking it to become a better trail bike, I bet she would add a fly wheel weight to the 85.

It has the SST pipe that I ordered from you, the biggest flywheel Steahly makes on it and by the weekend it will have a Scarey Fast Powernow valve in the carb. Both the pipe and the flywheel has helped the little screamer a good bit and the Powernow ought to clean things up a little more. ;) None of these mods have taken away from the insane top end power the little motor produces. Gonna do Scarey Fast to both sides of the carb on my TE450 some day. :blink:

I just meant a smaller bike with enough power to do the trail and listed those as an example. the CR85 would be great for THIS trail. Not for all trails. This trail is so tight and technical, I'd like a light, short, small but still powerful bike to ride it on.

Sorry for breaking some uber-trail bike code or something...

I just meant a smaller bike with enough power to do the trail and listed those as an example. the CR85 would be great for THIS trail. Not for all trails. This trail is so tight and technical, I'd like a light, short, small but still powerful bike to ride it on.

No your not breaking any rules Wil, I like the fact that as a young guy like your self you see more to riding then xgames stuff. I admire the fact that you are 16 and weigh in at about 120 and you ride a Dr650 and yz426.

the CR85 would be great for THIS trail.

The stock CR85 is a horrible example of a technical trail bike.

I think Socalhodaka was just trying to point out that bikes that are geared and tuned for the trail come that way stock or have extensive mods to make them tractable.

For instance, besides having the wrong sort of power delivery a motocross bike has suspension that is valved too harshly for trail comfort and for running over rocks and other sharp edged obstacles.

You said something about a KDX175? and a IT200? What years did they stop making those? I wouldn't mind picking up a CHEAP extra trail bike for tighter stuff

Those bikes were made in the early to mid 80s. The KDX175 preceded the KDX200 and was made from 1979 or 1980 through 1982. The Yamaha IT200 was made till a couple of years later. The KDX 200A model started in 1983, ended in 1985, followed by the the KDXC model 86 through 88. After that, the all new water cooled E model came out. During about the same years, there was also the Suzuki PE series.

Alright, this will be the end of the thread jack BUT

What's a good small, light, short, CHEAP bike for trail riding. I'm light, so doesn't have to be a power house...

Might be my next object to save for...

There are a few KDXs around on Criagslist from time to time. The problem with these small "woods style" bikes, is that there were a lot made, but you won't see too many of them up for sale because everybody likes to hang onto them. You'll just have to keep your eyes peeled for one. There's a 1986 KDX200 in Yucaipa for 1200 bucks with a street licence plate on it.

There are a few KDXs around on Criagslist from time to time. The problem with these small "woods style" bikes, is that there were a lot made, but you won't see too many of them up for sale because everybody likes to hang onto them. You'll just have to keep your eyes peeled for one. There's a 1986 KDX200 in Yucaipa for 1200 bucks with a street licence plate on it.

Like Mimi says, people hang on to them cause they were good and fun. Like this one KDX200

How about Debbie's bike? That would be perfect for Wil. Plated small-displacement 2stroke. And I think she's ready to see it go, especially to a good home.

:drool:

On the actualy subject of this thread,

How many more trails are there at corral?

I like the trail just as it is. I enjoy that trails exist that are beyond my abilities. If I have trouble with a certain trail (like the Bronco connector) I'll leave it to the legions of more talented folks. I'd hate to "dumb down" every trail with which I struggle- trust me they'd all look like Kernan.

I have to agree with you. The rest of those guys complaining about the rocks, no flow, yada, yada, whine and complain sound like a bunch of sissys. If its too tough for you go ride the street. I rode it last week and it was just fine.

post-4114-1269326651.jpg

personally i absolutely love my yz250f on the trails because its got that 4stroke powerband but is light enough to throw around. of course it does have the +6oz flywheel.....

...yes i know i should be in bed ....