bikeslut

well; we "rode" the new trail

Pics and report coming soon...any ride members can feel free to start.

But I got the best picture

It was a great ride overall, minus the new trail, as the pictures will explain. What the pictures didn't catch was my leg getting wedged between my wheel and a rock as I was falling down the hill, and dislocated my knee. I did a sit up as best I could and used the bike to pull the weight off my leg and popped it back in. Then I wiggled out from under the bike and bob comes riding by, stops, and takes a picture.

Well, I was actually going to ask for a picture anyways :lol:

My leg is starting to hurt more and more though... ;)

I actually took few pictures...I was too busy walking...er...riding

Fakename taught that, as a professional photographer, you should strive to put your client in the most flattering representation...not his exact words... But, if you have 4 pics, pic the best image, but also the one that does not make your client look bad

Fakename taught that, as a professional photographer, you should strive to put your client in the most flattering representation...not his exact words... But, if you have 4 pics, pic the best image, but also the one that does not make your client look bad

So you're not showing the picture you got of me?

Lucky for me, I'm not a professional and don't have to worry about any of that...

Unfortunately, computer is occupied, so all you get is words for now

We met at Kernan- running just a tad late...fixed the flat on Arg's bike, and replaced the chain master link...now it is running later

Buzzed Kernan, trail 1 and 2, then 6...then 4...then espinosa...then ridgeline...then Los Pinos...then Trail 1...then trail 2...mind you...this is all in an attempt to find the new trail ;)

As we neared our goal, shock and awe turns up lame...WAIT!! That didn't come out right...some sort of failure with his thimamajig required him to head back... So now it is just Albert, Wil, Paul and RJ.

Paul finally leads us to the beginning of the trail technically one other false trail was in there first...nice, tight, but actually pretty tough... Some of the seasonal water crossings were very goopy, some TIGHT switchbacks leading to a "thread the needle" rock gap. We had many different bikes, and some fared better than others. Wil's YZF was geared all wrong, has ferocious clutch springs, and was a handful...I was riding sweep so I don't know how the lead guys were doing but we had our hands full. Lots of stalls, quite a few tips, Wil tried to lose 10 pounds of leg weight.

I have a few pics I'll post, but as always, we won't get the sections of gnarly trail, cuz I was too busy flopping around. I only hit the ground once...a guy biffed in front of my after I had switched bikes with Wil...I went to grab some clutch and my hand cramped. Into some manzanita I went.

All in all, a worthwhile trail... I consider it a solid intermediate trail, but Corral will call it a black diamond I expect.

Pics at 11

Yeah, what he said.

I had a damn good day, no falls, great riding. Thanks, everybody!

newtrail2942.jpg

That sounds about right. ;)

Man was that a ride or what ;) .I would like to thank bikeslut for the help and wise words with the tire and helpful hint on starting and other wise cracks and comments throughout the ride, and fakename for the adventure pass, Laughing at me when i lost the master link o ring :lol: , helping unloading my bike and leadin the way through that rough trail. o and albert for letting me ride the 530 for that short piece, that thing is like a feather compared to my bike. (Im practicing for my oscar speech.) to bad i didnt bring my camera there would have been a couple hellarious pictures.

Those trails rocked - water streams and ruts everywhere. You had to watch out for ruts even on the fire road - good quick ride. Whoever was behind me on the steep trail I laid the bike down on could probably hear me get stuck in neutral and lose much needed momentum. I wrestled her like a bull until parking it sideways in a rut then positioning it to ride out. The engine winding in first or second for too long causes it to lose something - hard to get back into the saddle of the power band and know what gear you are in - same thing happened with BS on Stagecoach. Other than that those two issues, which rarely occur if you stay on top of it, the 2 stroke is great for those trails. A better rider could make that machine sing in Corral Canyon.

A bolt came out of the front caliper as we were approaching the new trail. The first sign was little or no front brake - followed by a weird feeling / noise on the front tire. I tried catching BS and yelling but he was too fast. Then the front caliper came off and was bouncing around my front wheel. I pulled over and pulled out my trusty VX170, gave a shot out, FN came back to assess, zip tied the front caliper, and rode trails back to truck.

It was an awesome day of riding, wanted more but very satisfied, car wash off Main St, and two new $0.59 cent bolts from Motoworld (keeping original for spare parts). That 200cc two stroke is fast and twitchy, which comes in handy on trails like today but can get u in trouble too. Wooohoooo - good ride. On way home, saw big Harley rider with sidecar with canine passenger. Perfect weather, good day. Fun watching these mx guys jump around. ;)

kernan meet up

DSCN3541.jpg

WHAT THE???

DSCN3542.jpg

Wil, Albert and RJ

DSCN3544.jpg

Wil... what are you doing?

DSCN3545.jpg

you guys have fun with that... I'm going to rest a bit

DSCN3549-1.jpg

I think that's Albert on the trail

DSCN3546.jpg

DSCN3547.jpg

DSCN3550.jpg

Wil.. Remind me NEVER to buy a bike from you.. ;)

Looks like you guys had a great adventure.

I didn't have a kickstand. The rocks looked like a perfect kickstand ;):lol:

My leg got wedged between the rock and my back wheel that you can barely see in the picture, dislocated my knee AGAIN and flexed my leg bones, I could feel them bending and rushed to do a sit up from leaning back/falling down a steep hill. My leg is still sore...Kinda rubbery and loose too, ripped a couple small tendons or ligaments I think. I felt some stuff tear anyways...

With the bike's strong clutch pull and my lack of skill with feathering the clutch on a high rev bike led to too much speed, burnout, then sudden traction and the bike flew away...

The ride started out great, a bunch of water crossings, great single track, dirt very nice and tacky. Weather perfect. :D

Thanks fakename for leading, thanks bikeslut and Rj for helping me get through the new trail.

The pictures of the new trail are very deceiving, that was a very tough trail. (for me anyways)

The trail was tough, but the good thing was, the tough sections were short... No long sections to endure.

We all made it through, and improved our riding along the way

The trail was tough, but the good thing was, the tough sections were short... No long sections to endure.

We all made it through, and improved our riding along the way

Really? My riding almost always seems to degrade when I ride that trail. :D

looks like a good adventure, sorry to hear the knee damage, hope its not too bad.

words of advice if you can (Wil) put a flywheel weight on that YZ and get the clutch set up well, with the transoil a good moto brand, the cable well lubed and adjusted and the plates in good order. Also a good solid jetting setup to prevent stalls.

The 426 is tough for technical trail/woods riding in its stock form but can be made tolerable, Am Pro Yamaha team built good ones for GNCC racing.

I also have put a few hours on the same model as yours in stock form in the same area of corral trails and after I returned to my Kato250EXC (note enduro model) I told the YZ426 owner I never want to ride it again, on trails anyway.

MX machines are tough to ride machines for that kind of stuff, unless you are a top tier pro.

In another old guy MX bike story I ruined my left knee up there at corral on another MX machine, the YZ490 (those things were awful) while testing and TRYING to set it up as an offroad machine.....a long time ago......and before discovering the smooth groove power of the euro enduro machines.

Be safe out there,

we were busy racking up @ 60mi of non-stop A and AA tech trails down south this past weekend.

I need to pay y'all a visit on yer new trail sounds fun, gotta be a weekday though, as that place scares me with oncoming traffic crashes I always here about. Hopefully I can stay behind or far enough in front of Bob so if I do crash I can get up before he catches it in a foto!!! enjoy the ride RN

other tricks are 14/52 gearing

good x-ring/o-ring chain are also options (the heavier chain robs some power and tames the beast a bit)

steel clutch plates that give you a new clutch with added flywheel effect to tame the hit.

prolly the simplest of all is the chain and sprocket thing for starters, I think your front if its stock is a 14 so only a rear and a good x-ring chain to off to start (with low cash out)

Wil and I both felt the trail lacked "flow"...as downhill bicycle riders, we like sweeping, bermed turns and some sight lines before attacking obstacles. This trail offered none of that.

Fake Name compared it to the Flagstaff trail, but I thought it was tougher but shorter than that. I think as long as quads stay off it, it'll be fine and maintain its singletrack integrity.

I think a real light small bike would be great on the trail, my 625 was a little tough on that one.

That trail would have been fun on a CR125 or CR85...It had too many 90 degree sharp corners that squared you off into a steep rocky hill with no where to get speed or choose a line.

No one can ride that trail on a quad, I don't think you need too worry about that :D