Yeti

Border Ride Sunday 3-14-10 - It Happened

Kelly- when...uh... A "friend" needed similar help:

The search and rescue is paid from your taxes; no charge

Insurance wouldve paid for bike recovery IF it was on an approved "road" ...mine wasn't...I mean; my friends was not...so even comprehensive coverage would not recover the bike...theft, fire, totaled...it wouldve been covered; but I (er he) knew where it was, so no coverage...State Farm

The "volunteer" fire department of Laguna Mountain sent a bill for a couple hundred bucks...they are not funded as much as the other units apparently

Greg took these movies. The last one is pretty amazing.

Great video skills. That first helicopter landing was captured really well. That pilot was amazing. He just dropped that heli in without hesitation. He probably had 10 - 15 or so feet of clearance for his rotors.

I also sent an email thanking the Sheriff officers.

Here is some pix i took, thanks everyone for a good time, and Fakename(paul?), and 650hucker for a awesome ride back to rancho. Looking forward to the next ride.

DSC03158.jpg

DSC03159.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03166.jpg

DSC03168.jpg

DSC03172.jpg

DSC03173.jpg

Caught in the act, shoudlve been on the other side!!

DSC03174.jpg

DSC03175.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

DSC03180.jpg

DSC03192.jpg

DSC03193.jpg

DSC03194.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

DSC03197.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

Tom may get billed from the county for ASTREA (the sheriff’s helicopter) it all depends. But with today’s economy the county may want to be reimbursed. I’m pretty sure that he will be billed for the ambulance ride, which is pretty standard. Hopefully Kaiser will take care of that.

If you remember the fires the County went through a couple years ago you will see why they got the chopper that lifted Tom out. It is the new fire fighting/rescue chopper. The first helicopter is also pretty new. They would have landed right on the road to pick Tom up but the hillside and vegetation made that rather dangerous for those copters.

They do have smaller choppers that would be able to land on the road, all those crazy guys want is about one foot of clearance for the rotors. But you get whatever is up in the air at the time. The pilots are pretty good. Of course they are crazy to do what they do but they are cops, so we already know they don’t have too much sense. The sheriff’s office has only had one fatality since ASTREA started. But Pat was doing what he loved to do.

I wouldn’t worry what news 10 says or what other people put on the comments page. ASTREA is there for this type of thing. This is part of their job. Actually it is one of the more rewarding things they do. It makes all the other bulls#$t worth it! Letters would be very nice for the Deputies. A lot of what they do is never recognized and it is nice to hear something good for a change. Oh and they are "Deputies" not police officers. It can be taken as an insult for a Deputy Sheriff to be called a police officer. He does much more then a city cop.

And you guys were not off-road. You were on a road that happens to be dirt is all.

I wish I would have been on the ride it looks like it was a lot of fun. Tom I hope you get healed and back on the bike with us soon.

Been exchanging emails with the SDSO....very appreciative of the positive emails. Thx to Craig for sending them some pics.

Now where are the water crossing photos?

Now where are the water crossing photos?

Yeah, where are all the water crossing pics??

I know there were a lot of cameras cuz I saw them and kept thinking to myself, "Don't go down in front of the cameras, don;t go down in front of the cameras." :lol:

From Sheriff's dept:

Paul,

Your group is obviously made up of very gracious people. I have heard from a number of them offering similar expressions of thanks. I will gladly forward your message to those involved in the rescue. I know it will make their day to hear from all of you.

I hope your rider is doing OK.

Thanks again,

Ken Culver

From Sheriff's dept:

Paul,

Your group is obviously made up of very gracious people. I have heard from a number of them offering similar expressions of thanks. I will gladly forward your message to those involved in the rescue. I know it will make their day to hear from all of you.

I hope your rider is doing OK.

Thanks again,

Ken Culver

Very cool! Good to have those guys on our side and looking out for us!

quick update:

my dad is well and sedated and awaiting surgery for his shoulder. so far all they know is that the shoulder is out of the socket and that the humerus is broken ether very near or through the ball. and there are possibly pieces of bone strewn around in there. he did express his thanks for all the help and really likes this group of riders. it will be proximately 4-6 weeks before he will be able to really move his shoulder and then another 6 months or so before he will get most of the use back in his shoulder. at this he told the doctor "good just in time for desert season". so he is in good spirits and ready to get this done with.

quick update:

my dad....... is in good spirits and ready to get this done with.

Good news

...he told the doctor "good just in time for desert season"....

Right on!! Glad he's in good spirits :lol:

quick update:

my dad is well and sedated and awaiting surgery for his shoulder.

And did your mom kick his ass while he's laying there? :lol:

Please tell him I said" Breathe, Tom, breathe...."

There, fixed. Not that a certain moderator could have made an effort...:lol:

And did your mom dick his ass while he's laying there? :lol:

I really hope there's an inside joke here . . . :lol:

You people are sick!

I really hope there's an inside joke here . . . :lol:

I think he'd prefer it to be an outside joke :lol:

yeah.

Tom was in a great deal of pain. He couldn't move without creating so much pain he was getting close to going into shock. His breathing became fast and sharp, and that can create hyperventilation and fainting. It was imperative he did neither.

So, I had to coach him to keep breathing- long, deep regular breaths to keep him oxygenated, not dizzy, hopefully distracted and reduce the pain threshold as much as I could. Very much like 'Pranayama' breathing. I actually told him to visualize a room full of beautiful women doing yoga, causing him to laugh and perhaps cause more pain. Oops.

Each time he had to be moved, the pain would become so bad I thought he'd go shocky, so I'd keep telling him to breathe and concentrate on his breath. It helped him a lot, but, as he could not retaliate, probably drove him crazy.

But it helped.

More unfortunate for him, when the deputies arrived, they were telling him the same thing. :lol:

ha ha no and shes not the one to worry about its my aunt who is a physical therapist who he is going to have to watch out for. oh and dont worry i will remind him about the breathing after his surgery.

^^yea i second that, im pretty sure he meant KICK with a K. haha surprised no one caught that, sick juvenile people i tell yea. :lol: