boat440

Integrated Backpack & Hydration System

I currently have a basic black "original" Camelback with the 70 oz capacity.

I also have a generic "Costco" cheap back pack.

Both have served me well, but the stitching that joins the straps to the main body have started to fray/loosen. Also the Camelbacks' drink reservoir might be growing a new strain of E coli, yuk, it's time to replace.

I would like to purchase an integrated hydration/storage type. My design constraints are: the storage capacity needs to hold enough for an overnite ride plus tools, the drink capacity should be =>70oz & it must be able to fit over my chest protector. The primary usage will be for long rides or overnights. My Moose fanny pack is used for day rides & will continue using the Camelback for day rides(with new reservior).

I have been researching the Camelback MULE & HAWG and the Ogio Hydration Pack & Baja Pack.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/...&position=0

They are well-engineered products. Of course each has a trade-off, but looking to get input of the above products and others from Thor, Moose, Fox, etc...

I'm not in a hurry, but want to select the best product for my needs. So please let's here everbody's recommendations.

Thanks!

Klim No experience with it...just surfin' the net. It may not hold enough for an overnight but appears as if the rear pocket (on straps) expands out so it may carry more.

Thanks Roger, Are they in stock or do you have to order? I would like to try on before ordering

Maybe just give em a call see if they have em in stock. I don't wear one since I have the flight vest.

Get those pack straps off your shoulders....

Why not catch the wave and just snag a Ogio Vest?......it'll hold a 100oz bladder, extra water or fuel bottle, radio, some tools......

And buy a zip up/close fit upper body armor set up like the Thor Impact Rig or something similar......

Why not catch the wave and just snag a Ogio Vest?......it'll hold a 100oz bladder, extra water or fuel bottle, radio, some tools......

And buy a zip up/close fit upper body armor set up like the Thor Impact Rig or something similar......

He may be slow but he's smart! :) Catch the wave Señor!! :)

Agree, need to take the weight off your shoulders, quite fatiguing.

What I do is make the straps loose so the pack hangs low. Combine this with a rear fender pack just at the rear edge of the seat, all the weight of the pack will be positioned on the rear fender pack, when seated.

Of course when you stand...

What I do is make the straps loose so the pack hangs low. Combine this with a rear fender pack just at the rear edge of the seat, all the weight of the pack will be positioned on the rear fender pack, when seated.

The giant camelbak i've got does that pretty much on its own w/o having to loosen up the straps. its a big bag, but, if you are carrying a light load, it has 3 straps inside to secure the load, and straps on the outside to pull the outer material in so its not flopping around so much. and a plastic board inside the pack to help stiffen the whole thing up a little bit. Its a good bag, sturdy, a bit expensive, holds whatever bladder you put in it, has tons of room and has molle webbing on the sides and back if you have either extra pouches or other stuff you want to attach to it to make it bigger and heavier..... If I were going to go on a couple day, self supported trip, I'd take this thing for sure... I lived out of the thing for 8 days while traveling to Iraq last year... If I got tired of carrying it, I'd just strap it to the back of the bike but I've got a little rack on the back...

Again, lemme know, but looks like i'm going to be out of town till next weekend.

Klim No experience with it...just surfin' the net. It may not hold enough for an overnight but appears as if the rear pocket (on straps) expands out so it may carry more.

+1 on the klim. i have it and love it.

Thanks Ken, but it appears the link goes to a CNN report from May 6th on "Obama tones down National Day of Prayer observance" :)

At least that is what I'm getting??? certainly not KLIM

What weight? This is all I ever needed for my hydration pack! :)

post-6274-1268354223.jpg

Don you weight 68 pounds soaking wet with Levi's on.

The rest of us are fat. Well at least I am.

Here is the Fly Racing Convertible Hydro pack that I can get. I looks pretty nice.

FL2010-0073.jpg

FL2010-0072.jpg

Retails for 129.95 and I can go 25% off the retail.

Starting next month I will be able to get the Ogio Flight Vest.

Another vote for the Flight Vest with 100oz bladder.

I bought the Camel Mule 100 for short little rides around Superstition, and when I got the Flight Vest for long rides, I took the 100oz bladder from the Camel and dropped it in the Vest. Great at distribution weight and it doesn't feel like it is all on your shoulders.

That is nice! Do you have one? If so, do you mind me asking how much it was??? I might have to pick one up... :lol:

I don't have one as I wear a Fox chest protector and a Flight Vest. My buddy Greg bought one, and they retail for approx $230. My Flight Vest was $119 + $80 for chest protector. Roughly the same price but you're paying a touch more for a single unit. If I didn't wear a Flight Vest, I would wear one of these for sure.

I have the Zacspeed RP-3 It is the smaller one. A little limited on storage, but otherwise I really like it. It took a while to get it adjusted just right, but once adjusted it is very comfortable. I've had it for probably over a year now and no problems. I think the bigger one would be better if you were carrying stuff for overnight. I've been using mine for general dual sport and it holds enough stuff. I have some tools, spot, some other junk in it. If the bladder isn't filled all the way you can cram more stuff in it. The water bladder is different that the camelback. I like it better. Overall I recommend it, excellent idea and product.

http://media.rei.com/media/662852.jpg

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro/enduro_saddle_bags.html

Another choice is using the Wolfman luggage Enduro Bags $135 and a hydration bag.

I find it comfortable to have the tools on the right side, water, first aid etc on the left and food in the tank bag.

Full body armor with a big back guard under the jersey and the air flowing freely. The bags flop around some with aggressive riding but stay in place.

The down side is you get goofy nicknames.

The down side is you get goofy nicknames.

Ahh, now it all makes sense.