First of all, I would like to thank SDLineman for the recon and planning of this trip-

Mother Nature conspired to keep me from riding the second day, but we got a good ride in the first day

The potluck went well, although there was SO much food, I couldn't really try half of what was available. Tacos, and burgers...margaritas and pina coladas...brownies and pinwheels...lots of stuff. Jeff hosted that too at his palace

The Kabins were kozy, and that worked out well for Kody and Laurie.

I'll start pisting pics and telling stories after I unload...

Thanks again Jeff and all of the potluck contributors, and my ride partners.

Also a BIG thanks to Jeff for the aborted "bikeslut tow" effort. Film at 11

arrived at Sassy's Diner to find a lot of the peoples already eating... Here they are in my Blackberry Image Quality Gallery

IMG00674.jpg

- on the back of Sassy's Diner Menu, they tell the story of "Sassy" The pet Wallaby they had for years, and they named the diner after... as I am reading the story to Cody, I get to the last paragraph

Sassy was eaten by a coyote... ouch

IMG00678.jpg

it made him melancholy

checked in to the kabin, and Laurie is happy... on-line school, heater, coffee pot, referigerator, pint sized tub, and DOORS between us and the kids

IMG00675.jpg

end of day one- tomorrow we ride, and go birdwatching!

YES, thanks to SDLINEMAN for organizing, ride recon and hosting a great weekend....and the KOA staff was very accomodating and helpful....It was another great adventure with SDAR....Thank you everyone...I had an awesome time... :lazy:

FRIDAY

Made great time past Ocotillo Wells and Westmoreland...then began what became an eery journey up the LONG East side of the salton sea, past not much but abandoned buildings and houses....kind of EERY....We all trickled in between noon and 9, and most enjoyed a delicious all you can eat spaghetti dinner at the lodge..Thanks to Crawdaddy for uploading many of us with some tracks and ride options...

And thanks to Hobiee and Kim for splitting their Kabin with me...nice to be inside vs. tenting...the Kabins were very nice....

SATURDAY

We split into various groups of sorts for rides of varying length and destinations...ride One for me: I headed out with KTMomma (Hobiees lady) and CMYER, we rode the canal road, Bradshaw trail, train trellis and some slot canyons with cool formations and scenery...the desert is very green...Not sure which canyons we explored, but might have been The Pinnacles, or Red canyon?.....It was KTMomma's longest ride ever and she did Great.....even in some legitimate sand in the canyons.....Hobiee should be proud....he was watching the Little Hobiee....(now K, go get your permit !)

Ride 2: Bat Cave and Oasis loop: with Trophyhunter and Mrs. Trophy, CMAYER31, CMYER and KLRoger....fun little loop with nice scenery and company.

I then took advantage of the Natural Hot spring pools they have at the campground, you have to add cool water to be able to enjoy the 140 degree hot mineral springs...then cleaned up and headed to the DELICIOUS Pot Luck, carne asada, carnitas, chile, yummy desserts and sides....fun to fellowship with about 30 members and family.....

SUNDAY

Rain began EARLY...so many of us enjoyed the free pancake breakfast that is included with your space, before reluctantly surrenduring that the rain was going to beat us today....Still an Awesome time with Great rides....enjoyed meeting some new folks....Well worth the slightly longer than normal desert commute....Heres some pics...

Hobiee enjoying a "ride"

P3050167.jpg

KTMomma (you go girl!)

P3060170.jpg

RIDE ONE saturday

P3060172.jpg

P3060174.jpg

P3060173.jpg

P3060171.jpg

P3060178.jpg

P3060176.jpg

P3060177.jpg

P3060180.jpg

P3060181.jpg

Ride TWO

P3060186.jpg

P3060190.jpg

P3060191.jpg

P3060195.jpg

P3060199.jpg

I made them all shimmy out on the log..for a great photo op......don't you think?..

P3060198.jpg

At Kabin.....

P3060185.jpg

P3060184.jpg

P3070201.jpg

P3070204.jpg

P3070205.jpg

Sad to Leave, but bye for Now! ps: Nice touch that this campground has 5 pm checkout on Sundays....Great for riding....If rain cooperated...

P3070202.jpg

Saturday morning was very nice... cool temps, and a mile breeze... Me and my two kids latched on to Jeff and his son Robert (on the quad)

we make the run over to Red Canyon

between Robert wanting to slow down on the rocky road, and Eric inability to get his XR70 on top of the sand, it was a long, slow trip

we stopped at The Trestles, and Morgan made a run to the top... but petered out halfway up

DSCN3493-1.jpg

another stab at it, and he made it

DSCN3494-1.jpg

Eric and Robert resting in the shade

DSCN3491.jpg

we make the turn on Red Canyon and run into Don Johnson, Jim and Jim... no typo

DSCN3495.jpg

DSCN3496.jpg

so we turn around and see the real one

DSCN3499-1.jpg

DSCN3498-1.jpg

DSCN3500-1.jpg

her we separated from Jeff... Eric had ENOUGH sand, and Kody was sick back at the campground

DSCN3505-1.jpg

kids that climb on rocks

DSCN3501-1.jpg

DSCN3497-2.jpg

I’ll second Bikeslut’s thanks to SDLineman for setting up the KOA weekend……

Caitlynn and I headed out relatively early on Friday and we were able to get set-up and also get in one short ride on the bikes……she enjoyed riding the CRF230F despite a few slow speed tipovers…

Our camp on “Snob Hill” (shared with Slowdown and Hurry up)

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Caitlynn ready to ride the CRF230F for the first time:

Picture021-1.jpg

Out on Coachella Canal Rd……..Peace-Out!

CaitlynnKOA.jpg

At one point I left Caitlynn down on Bradshaw and rode up a rocky spur to snap a pic of the Coachella Canal down below and Salton Sea in the distance:

Picture022-1.jpg

Father/Daughter self portrait to prove we were there….

Picture024-1.jpg

The Friday night spaghetti dinner was tastey and it gave us a chance to mingle a bit and set loose plans for the Sat ride……

Caitlynn and I headed out on Sat morning with Spyder and son (Daryl?), Trophy and his trophy wife, Slowdown and Hurry up (Ron and Jon), and KLRoger……..we rode a loop I dropped into a Mapsource planning file…… The Loop: KOA- Coachella Canal Rd – Bradshaw – Red Canyon – Gas/Lunch up at 10 FWY – Powerline Rd. – Meccacopia – Coachella – KOA = ~73 miles......Caitlynn rode the quad on Sat which turned out to be a wise decision because that would’ve been a big loop for her to undertake on the bike….

SPOT Link will be active for one week if you'd like an overview of the loop on Google - http://www.CrawdadRacing.info

A few comments

Coachella Canal Rd. is a perfect training ground for any new riders.....relatively flat and smooth.....it runs from the KOA up to the Bradshaw trail after ~8 miles.......you then have the option of hanging a right on Bradshaw or continuing straight on the canal rd which will take you all the way over to Meccacopia/Box Canyon.....

Bradshaw was a dusty/rocky mess when we hit it since there were a lot of other folks out on it......nothing special.....

Red Canyon Trail is VERY fun.......ridgeline riding for ~12 miles up to a Powerline Rd. which connects the Red Canyon Trail and the Meccacopia Trail

Gas/Food Option - once at the Powerline Rd. you can continue straight another .75 mile until you intersect another Powerline Rd......take a right there and it'll run you over to the 10Fwy......cross the Fwy to top off the tanks/belly at a Chevron/Frosty Burger.......and, if interested, visit the George Patton Museum.

After gas/lunch we back tracked to the Powerline Rd. that runs between Red Canyon and Meccaopia........it was surprisingly fun........minimal whoops.......a high speed/8 mile blast over to Meccacopia.....

Meccacopia is a fun trail.......a little bit of everything with views of Salton Sea.......fun.....

A few pics along the way

The crew, less Spyder and Daryl, out on Bradshaw:

Picture001.jpg

Caitlynn rounding a bend on Meccacopia Trail

Picture010.jpg

The crew on a bluff along Meccacopia overlooking the Salton Sea:

Picture017.jpg

Daryl, Caitlynn, Jon with Salton Sea in the distance:

Picture015.jpg

Caitlynn giving me the "hurry up and snap it" stare:

Picture016.jpg

The narrows of Meccacopia:

Jon:

Picture020.jpg

Caitlynn

Picture021.jpg

Ron and Daryl:

Picture022.jpg

Spyder and KLRoger:

Picture023.jpg

KLRoger:

Picture024.jpg

I uploaded/edited my active tracks from our Sat loop and cleaned up my planning file in that regard.....I'll kick it over to Strega to host on his site for anyone who would like to have it/ride it.......

on the way back, we stopped to play pn the trestle...

DSCN3509-1.jpg

DSCN3507-1.jpg

DSCN3513.jpg

DSCN3518.jpg

Eric leading the way

DSCN3522.jpg

and Morgan riding sweep

DSCN3523.jpg

it was along this stretch that a tree pulled my new radio cord out, and in to the rear wheel... $75 down the drain

Oh well... we're going birdwatching at the Salton Sea... sounds fun and easy! w00t!

birdwatching:

Nice... I'll drive my wife down to look at some birds

IMG_3415.jpg

they have these narrow roads that lead really close to the water... sweet... how close shall we get?

oh... turn around? uh...

IMG_3418.jpg

yeah... I actually got stuck... it was a very small rise, but the mud was as slick as snot... uh... Jeff... you got a 4X4 and a tow strap? Ozzy isn't around to bail me out

WAIT!! unload everybody out of the truck, and I was able to "just" make it

IMG_3434.jpg

Thanks any way Jeff!!

On to the border patrol checkpoint... so... "SIR"... where is all the mud from? Who is in the back? Are you all US citizens? You weren't the clown that was off flopping around near the shore were you? The helicopter pilot was laughing his A$$ OFF...

IMG_3447.jpg

Man this place gets lonely on a Sunday night after a day of rain. We are staying until tomorrow hoping to get one more ride in before going home. Hopefully Beezz stuck it out and is still around. At least got a couple of good rides in on Saturday. The wives in our camp have all decided they want to come back to spend Mother's day here at Glamisnorth. How cool is that? Enjoyed meeting bikeslut, dsfox and several others at the pot luck. Its been a great weekend, (even with the rain).

The entrance to the Oasis

post-13426-1268013093.jpg

Looking down from the Bat Caves

post-13426-1268014502.jpg

My son and daughter in law at the Bat Caves looking back at the lake.

post-13426-1268014521.jpg

Wow that looks awesome! yet another place for me to set the motorcycling hook with my wife :rolleyes:

Thx to Jeff for setting this up and the recon. C-Daddy provided a great lead Sat morning. Laura & I split off at Red Canyon as the mob rode the rim trail (Red Canyon Trail).

We rode Red Canyon & every spur off of it including the Pinnacles. This was perfect riding for Laura and her longest day ever. The AM ride combined with dsfox's Bat Cave / Oasis loop totaled about 70 miles for us.

Potluck was great, loaded in the rain Sunday AM & headed out.

No pics as computer is on it's last legs...pics won't upload......

Great time..met some new folks & enjoyed all.

Looks like a good time was had by all. Great pics. wish I could make some of these trips with ya'll.

Well that airplane pic deb posted was all the riding i got in this weekend, i suffer from meningitis induced migraines and had the joy of one on saturday out of nowhere. Sorry i missed everything but i am super happy Kim got to share in the joy. Huge thanks to Deb for showing her the ropes and to Charlie for helping out :rolleyes: Deb thanks for sharing in the joy that is a 20 month old at bedtime, i love him to no end but sometimes the nerves get pushed all the way to the limit. I plan on getting Kim more comfortable and hopefully she loves it as much as i do. Thanks for a fun time even if it was to short as i see i missed some great riding but I'll be back soon enough.

hey Hobiee, Sorry you missed the riding....I'd like to head back there too , lots to explore.... I so much enjoyed hanging out with ALL of you, and the little man is awesome....I think he likes me, so maybe he'll let me babysit so you and the wife can get out once in a while.....glad to do it, and glad to take Kim out....I'm still kind of newbish compared to most of you dirt freaks, but it's nice to get more ladies out to enjoy the adventure....Get her an electric start and she'll be loving it even more...lets ride again soon...

Big thanks to SDLineman for putting this together and hosting everyone at the potluck Saturday night. Also, thank you very much to Crawdaddy for the GPS tracks! It was great to meet a large group from SDAR and was an all around amazing weekend.

I got to camp Friday days and set up in the tent area which I'm not really sure is part of the campground :rolleyes: I really appreciate all the offers to move indoors and get more comfortable, but I truly enjoy tent camping and have my gear organized such that it's a really quick process to set up and tear down camp. All of my gear has been weather tested to the extreme and it really is as comfortable as inside for me.

Casa de campo:

camp2.jpg

Not a bad view at all:

camp1.jpg

I swung by a few camps Saturday morning and figured that there'd be enough people out there that I didn't mind exploring solo and catching up later in the day.

Bradshaw trail:

rrcrossing.jpg

bradshaw.jpg

Red Canyon:

redrockcanyon.jpg

redrockcanyon2.jpg

redrockcanyonend.jpg

Some of the ridge roads that I road up onto:

ridgeroad3.jpg

ridgeroad4.jpg

Then dropped back into some random washes and headed off to Bradshaw Ridge/ May's Wash Road:

Started off as a packed road with some fun little whoops and fairly hide speed desert riding:

mayswash.jpg

Then it turned into deep sand and although I had a blast, it started to wear on me, so this was as good a spot as any for snacks and water:

mayswash3sand.jpg

Got out of the deep sand and decided to find the Pinnacles. I ran into Trophyhunter and wife coming out of the canyon. They pointed me to the entrance and a fun little offshoot with a cool window looking up through the rocks:

pinacles.jpg

pinaclesendself.jpg

On the way back I caught up to dsfox, KTMomma, and Charlie (?), so followed them back to camp and tagged along on the Bat Cave / Oasis afternoon ride:

batcave.jpg

flower.jpg

oasis1.jpg

saltonpano.jpg

Another great ride with the SDAR group. I hope the weather broke for those who hung around Sunday. I hit some weather heading north, but made a big loop through some areas I'd never seen and had a pretty fun drive home.

Looked like a ton of fun, I'm bummed I missed out on it :rolleyes:

Wow! Interesting place. That seemed to be the theme for the weekend. Nice varied riding close by.

The campground was very clean as was the riding area. Would love to have got one more day of riding in, but El Nino deciding otherwise.

Thanks to Jeff, for putting this up and hosting Sat Nite.

Thanks to Chris for the lead on Sat's ride.

(And thanks to Roger for not running into me while I was going too slow.) :lol:

806013816_GXiX4-M.jpg

806011803_oY6uu-M.jpg

806014215_uN2Eu-M.jpg

806011723_j3wTZ-M-1.jpg

806014695_5QAWs-M-1.jpg

806014386_rnAmY-M-1.jpg

806014007_VTBee-M.jpg

806011531_G9r2Q-M.jpg

806014247_DdsoL-M.jpg

806011617_Xeiqy-M.jpg

More later...............

Great photos, love the canyons. But I see lots of sand, without much in the way of whoops. What kind of god-forsaken place has sand and no whoops? B)

Sand in the canyons, but not so bad....not too many whoops - this area seems not as over used by thousands of vehicles, like places like OW......

We found some big whoops in one area...., just Northeast from the Bat Caves over a loooooong ridge...with deeeeep sand too....then drops down to the powerline...If I go back, I'm going around that section.......too many whoops in too deep of sand for my liking.....burn a gallon of gas in 2 miles I bet....

Glad everyone had a good time. It was great to meet all of you. The rain on Sunday kinda sucked, but Saturday was a good riding day. I was curious about Monday, did anybody stay and ride? I couldn't decide if it was going to be perfect conditions, or if there was too much rain.

My wife and I stayed over since we already had Monday off and I didn't want to load in the rain. Didn't get much riding in on Monday. No one to ride with, so stayed close. Beautiful day though. Would have been a great day for a long ride, other then the occasional mud bog (like the one in front of my trailer).