Erick

Anza Borrego Desert Dash 2010 Photos

Saturday was (Joyce) my wife's 50th birthday also. We celebrated her birthday a week early so we could make it to the dash. Ken

Apparently you know the ONE woman on the planet that would be ok with that :curtsey:

I've been showing my wife the posted pictures. She says "We should have gone. You would have had fun". Now she tells me. Definitely be there next year. I recognize some of the places in the pics but not all. Looking forward to it.

Glad to see everyone had a blast and a great time. All returned home safe,

I live through these photos,, thanks everyone

Any reports about going hard ways? Haw hard and where? Spaughs and myself were riding north side of Superstition on Saturday, and saw a group of riders coming from Ocotillo Wells direction and interring into the mountain around 12:30 PM...part of DD?

papa.

Are you referring to the top of the mountain in the sand?

As I was leading my group in the general are you are referring to......I saw a trail that has a long hill climb up a sand hill leading to the top of the mountain.

So, I couldn't pass it up! Rode to the top and then had other groups follow us. There were quite a few groups that looked confused on their whereabouts as they were turning around, missing turns, and stopping to look at their GPS.

We must have looked as though we knew where we were going :curtsey:

While on top........I noticed a couple of other DS riders a little lower to the east playing around in the sand.

I only took a few from photos from the annual "Attack the Phantom" ride that Schwinn and I do.

C Mon Jon I know you guys made that one,,,,,,!!! more training?? That looks like a fun trail not DS only right (CRF450 with you). Glad you had a good one!! (all SDAR) RN

Neither of us made it past that spot this year. Last year we were able to make it to the top, but the trail conditions were much different. This time we had more rocks in the trail and that one spot seemed much steeper. I'm thinking of going back this week and giving it another go, but that's a topic for another thread.

When???? PM and shoot where??? I need something new and training for another ugly event. or email

14.jpg

The funny part about this picture is that this is the EXACT same spot we stopped to help Shane fix his broken chain last year, and we pulled up to this spot and there he was again. Incredibly random.

Shane has the Yellow bike on the left, and he's the left most in the pic.

Hey, my chain wasn't broken......well it was kinda broke, missing a clip.

Sweep team rocks. Last year you gave me a master clip, and this year they let use a air pump. thanks for being there guys

As my group took a quick break at the bottom of the drop off or Heart Attack hill the group of dealer BMWs were coming down and one of the guys on the new BMW 450 does a nose pick or stopee right in the middle. Wish I had a camera at that moment.

Nice pics guys.. Thanks for sharing.. I will try and actually use my camera next year instead of just carrying it around in my pack all weekend.

I had a great time at the Dash this year. Sat morning in the rain climbing Oriflame is what Adventure Riding is all about! I couldnt see anything with my glasses and goggles fogged up and it was pouring. I loved it. Lots of deep sand lots of rocks in the deep sand. Then conditions would change to a motocross style traction with good berms and all (culp/jasper). Even on the pig I felt I was able to just keep on it. Really fun trip. I learned a really good tip from some BMW riders with a flat on how to bust the bead on the trail. We used the kickstand of my bike on the tire on the ground and just pushed. Worked like a charm. Food was great and lots of it. Thanks to Randy and everyone else who makes this ride possible.

Especially KLRoger for being kind enough to find and return my lost items. I have a few cellphone pics but they are not great.

Butterfield ranch was awesome, no better place to have this event.

Ben

post-13344-1266948125.jpg

post-13344-1266948148.jpg

post-13344-1266948181.jpg

post-13344-1266948238.jpg

post-13344-1266948251.jpg

post-13344-1266948311.jpg

post-13344-1266948342.jpg

post-13344-1266948357.jpg

post-13344-1266948397.jpg

post-13344-1266948416.jpg

post-13344-1266948438.jpg

post-13344-1266948464.jpg

post-13344-1266948496.jpg

post-13344-1266948512.jpg

DAY 1 - 6:45 a.m.

Orriflame is my favorite type of riding - everything but mostly mud and rocky trails with lots of rutted areas, boulders and small berms to boot. The whoops and deep sand came later. I started out alone, then picked up with a couple of fast guys in the sand. These guys safely pushed me to my limits, which was fun. They hit it hard and fast a long time. I was having fun watching them and trying to keep up with an obligatory "woooo hoooo." Way too much fun. No helmet cam footage for Day 1, but some good memories.

1.7 miles from the Blu Inn gas stop, I get my FIRST flat in the San Felipe wash. Dirtdiver rolls up and I meet him for the first time. I rode the flat back to Blu Inn where I gladly paid $35 for labor and $17 for a rear tube caused by a nail. So the desert gods let me ride on. By the time I finished snapping photos of a newer plated 2 stroke and chatting with some riders, this mechanic had me back in the wash. Watch the nails around Blu Inn. <_<

I bumped back into Dirtdiver later who kindly pointed me in the right direction to lunch. After lunch Dirtdiver and I finished Day 1.

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/ph...%20Dash%200210/

Day 2

Caught up with Dirtdiver on the trail Sunday so we merged and hit Heart Attack Hill after Pinyon Mt. trail. I should be named "Muddiver." Beautiful ride - it was worth pushing on a Day 2 to see Font's Point. Fortunately, I used baby powder and triathalon shorts Day 1. I was so hungry Saturday I ate four servings of chili. The reception was packed and fun with good live entertainment. Great staying with Hammer and his wife in a nice house. Hammer had to ride fast and get back early to get future hall passes. This is a 2-day dream vacation in my own backyard. :lol: I don't think anything is that beautiful in Baja, but I gotta get down there to ride the beach. I learned a lot about using a roll chart and GPS, though I have more GPS questions than answers.

Great ride and event. Thanks! ;)

Nice pics, paul-

Did you watch the flat repair? Ready to do it next time?

Might not be a mechanic next time...

I'll watch the video when I get to a real computer

FRIDAY:

Arrived Friday before Noon, enjoyed the afternoon hanging out, setting up camp and socializing. Great dinner you guys fed us friday..worked Check in from 6-9, Already having fun!...but stayed up too late and slept only 4 hours...

SATURDAY

I REALLY needed the coffee back at registration from 6:00am til 9 Sat..Fun to see sooo many riders keep coming in, it was a big event this year......then I headed with Rideorange down to lunch spot...Bikeslut and Fakename had the whole thing set up, so we just hung out, tried to help out and direct riders as they came in to food, water, gas....we packup up at 3 (sorry we missed you guys on sweep....if we had known we would've waited a bit more)....I was sooo tired , just can't get by on 4 hours sleep like when I was 25!....rested for a few before dinner....Great dinner and raffle saturday..everyone seemed to enjoy the night..Went to bed early wanting to be more energized to ride sunday. My riding buddies got worn out on Saturday and headed home that night,

SUNDAY:

7:15 ready to go: I was fortunate enough that Tlking6, KLRoger, Jeff, Charles and Ben agreed we could all ride together.(6 red bikes, kelly took a pic)....Charles and Ben headed out a bit faster than some of us, so it ended up being 4 of us for the rest of the day..Thanks Guys for riding with Me and for an Awesome Day!!!......I'd never riden anywhere in Anza Borrego DSP, and seeing some reports in the past I had a few nerves anticipating THIS particular morning route, we headed up Pinyon...before I knew it, I popped over the squeeze with ease, not realizing what it was: "that's it?- cool!"...Now the NEXT little rock climb obstacle was interesting....after watching lots of people get stuck and need to be pushed, I was thinking I might not make it :lol: ....BUT with tlking6's great coaching "Just Don't Hesitate" I gassed the klx up and over...I was SO surprised I made it, I stopped on the flat spot, lost my balance and laid the bike down..(I do that more when parked than riding <_< )...I observed at the drop off for some time, before I decided to walk the 300 lb. beast down, rather than possibly tumble it's more than two of me weight down...Thanks to Matt and Tracy who both helped me out....I'll try riding down next time I return with a lighter bike, that I will be seriously pursuing after this ride...it wasn't as steep as I expected, ....The rest of the route was great, I dropped the bike about 3 more times, mostly from "sand fatigue". ;) ..but What an awesome day..We took a couple bail outs so the sweep team wouldn't be out til dark....I love my GPS, but the top speed said 108 mph...I guarantee THAT didn't happen...first time with a roll chart, that was cool too....

I really can't wait to go back and explore in more detail many of the places we blazed on through....I only took a few pics....Leisurely Picture days next time....P2200141.jpgP2200142.jpgP2200146.jpgP2210150.jpgP2210151.jpgP2210153.jpgP2210156.jpgP2210152.jpg

This was my second DD, and the first on a "real" bike... I rode my BMW 1200 last year and decided that it was most certainly "doable" on the bike, but a chore and not fun at all. Picked up a 525MXC over the fall and rode that this year. What a difference! Instead of flogging by, I was having a blast! Just goes to show that there is a tool for every job, and the 1200 is a poor tool for the DD. You can do it, but why?

Conditions couldn't have been more perfect. Mostly the same shots everyone else had.. I will post a couple anyway...

Tough to break up the attachments, so just know that there are some Rainbow motorhome morning of Sunday shots, some group shots, some shots of a couple guys going by (I think RexR is one of them) and the obligatory shot before the Heart Attack hill...

post-13345-1267127439_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127457_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127475_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127490_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127498_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127506_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127516_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127525_thumb.jpg

post-13345-1267127541_thumb.jpg

Yep, over a year later, here is my contribution...

Saturday Morning- Thanks to SocalHodaka I had a pad to crash at, no pun intended, ha.

CIMG9597.jpg

Chateau de Cousin Eddie...who forgot to roll my roll chart? Thanks DSFox for giving me your mattress repair kit on Saturday evening before dinner. I punctured the mattress on a bare screw extruding from the camper shell. I had my doubts about the repair, but it lasted for another DD, Troy Meadows, and Mammoth trip. DSFox I owe you, still!

CIMG9599.jpg

Notice my bedding protruding from the shelter of the camper shell, yes it was a long, wet, windy, cold night, it rained Friday night into Saturday.

CIMG9609.jpg

Chili dinner-

CIMG9604.jpg

CIMG9606.jpg

Me

CIMG9617.jpg

High School Photography 101 technique, I guess I did learn something... is that DSFox and ???

CIMG9614.jpg

???

CIMG9618.jpg

???

CIMG9619.jpg

ADA mandates a handrail, where is it?

CIMG9620.jpg

And I thought the BRP was a chore!

CIMG9628.jpg

How do ya like me know? You wanna give it a try? Didn't think so!

CIMG9631.jpg

Ah, lunch... thanks to the Borrego Fire Fighters for hosting.

CIMG9635.jpg

All packed up and headed home with a grin from ear-to-ear!

CIMG9636.jpg