Sign in to follow this  
skincer

File Format, Repository

I've owned a few GPS units (all Garmin) and even dabbled in the hobby of

Geocaching if you've ever heard of that, but it's been a long time so I'm just getting my head back into this. I have a Garmin eMap and I just re-installed Garmin's MapSource product.

It seems like MapSource knows how to import .wpt, .rte, .trk, and .grm file formats, and it looks like it will open .mps format files. Are any of these formats de facto standards? Which format(s) do you guys use? Is there a file format that most/all GPS brands can import?

Can someone post the URL(s) for whatever repositories they know of? In another post there was mention of a particular member's web site having some of this data, but I didn't see a URL. I'm particularly interested in routes near Jamul.

Thanks.

Steve

The very last line in Sandiegoland's signature is "See my Earth rides @ GPXchange". That line is a link to some GPS stuff.

I've owned a few GPS units (all Garmin) and even dabbled in the hobby of

Geocaching if you've ever heard of that, but it's been a long time so I'm just getting my head back into this. I have a Garmin eMap and I just re-installed Garmin's MapSource product.

It seems like MapSource knows how to import .wpt, .rte, .trk, and .grm file formats, and it looks like it will open .mps format files. Are any of these formats de facto standards? Which format(s) do you guys use? Is there a file format that most/all GPS brands can import?

Can someone post the URL(s) for whatever repositories they know of? In another post there was mention of a particular member's web site having some of this data, but I didn't see a URL. I'm particularly interested in routes near Jamul.

Thanks.

Steve

I just realized the version of MapSource I was using was v3.05. At Garmin's site I notice they have an upgrade to v6.11.6 which looks like it supports .GPX files. I'm downloading it now.

There is no "de facto" file format out yet, but .GPX is starting to be the growing format for sharing. Many of the manufacturers prefer you to stick with their format and that is reason for all the different formats. Many manufacturers are now realizing that they need to support .GPX so customers can have more uses for a gps.

(here is a shameless plug) Since you are looking for repositories, at my website you can upload and download files for others to search. I have a small database now but I hope to see it grow. I stick to .GPX because it can be easily converted to your manufacturers file format, it is also the easiest format to use cool website features like google earth. I would expect to see alot more of the .GPX file format in the future.

You can get a free tool to convert file formats at www.gpsbabel.org